[comp.ai] Public-access NLP

gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert Cockton) (06/20/89)

In article <1484@bucket.UUCP> donp@bucket.UUCP (Don Park) writes:
>>The essence of Turing's test is in the notion of INDISTINGUISHABILITY
>>by an observer. There is a machine in Glasgow that posts
>
>Is there a public access system somewhere where one could call
>by modem to see an example of advanced natural language parsing?

The Cockton program in Glasgow has public access, but not by modem.
Fly to Prestwick (North-West :-)), bus to Buchanan Street, Underground
to Hillhead and walk across the car park to 17 Lilybank Gardens.

Alternatively, you can talk direct, without modem, on +44 41 339 8855
extension 5569 :-)
--
Gilbert Cockton, Department of Computing Science,  The University, Glasgow
	gilbert@uk.ac.glasgow.cs <europe>!ukc!glasgow!gilbert

thom@dgbt.uucp (Thom Whalen ) (07/05/89)

> In article <1484@bucket.UUCP> donp@bucket.UUCP (Don Park) writes:
>>
>>Is there a public access system somewhere where one could call
>>by modem to see an example of advanced natural language parsing?

You could try calling (613) 998-2763 to "talk" to a natural language
information system about AIDS.  We try to keep it available, but the
modem routines are rather flaky, so I cannot guarentee that it will
always work properly.

It answers with a Hayes 2400 baud modem, so it can be accessed at
2400, 1200 or 300 baud, no parity.

            "The user interface IS the program."

Thomas Whalen     (613) 990-4683     thom@dgbt.crc.dnd.ca
Communications Research Center, Government of Canada, Ottawa, Canada