[comp.ai] Discover Patterns in GAs

androula@cb.ecn.purdue.edu (Ioannis Androulakis) (06/26/89)

 I would like to know if there has been any work done  attempting
 to discover patterns in GA search. My basic concern is how I can
 draw knowledge  from the  system  and maybe I could do that if I
 were able to study how patterns behave, while they are formed.
 This might contradict the basic  notion of "implicit parallelism"
 in GA search, but could also  help in understanding why a particular
 system evolved that way or another. I would like to see whether I
 am able to learn while studing how GAs create new generations.

 I will appreciate any suggestion,
 thank you
 yannis
 androula@helium.ecn.purdue.edu

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (06/27/89)

In article <1020@cb.ecn.purdue.edu> androula@cb.ecn.purdue.edu (Ioannis Androulakis) writes:

> I would like to know if there has been any work done  attempting
> to discover patterns in GA search. ...
> ... ... ...
> in GA search, but could also  help in understanding why a particular
> ... ... ...
> am able to learn while studing how GAs create new generations.
> ... ... ...

Come on!  PLEASE give the full version at least once, and not just the
acronym!  To me, GA is "Graduate Assistant" or "Geographical Analysis".
And I have read this group for over a year, and sat in on some courses, so
I am (fairly) sure that this is not a dumb question.  Remember, usenet is
a quite diverse community, with new users joining all the time, and many
cross-disciplinary readers and posters.

David Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu

robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) (06/27/89)

I believe the author is looking for information pertaining
to genetic algorithms.

--
Stephen M. Robinson, AI Group, School of Information and Computer Science
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332-0280  404-894-8932

kern@arecibo.aero.org (06/27/89)

In article <7388@cs.Buffalo.EDU>, dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) writes...

>Come on!  PLEASE give the full version at least once, and not just the
>acronym!  To me, GA is "Graduate Assistant" or "Geographical Analysis".
>And I have read this group for over a year, and sat in on some courses, so
>I am (fairly) sure that this is not a dumb question.  Remember, usenet is
>a quite diverse community, with new users joining all the time, and many
>cross-disciplinary readers and posters.

GAs are *relatively* new things refering to Genetic Algorithms,
algorithms which try to make new combinations out of previously
successful patterns or rules in order to discover new rules.

JC Kern
Kern@arecibo.aero.org
(213) 336-3573

gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) (06/27/89)

robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) writes:
>I believe the author is looking for information pertaining
>to genetic algorithms.

Could we who live in the AI underworld have a reference for this?

nrg

--
York University          |"_Wanting_ to think is one thing;
Department of Philosophy |      having a talent for thinking another"

kern@arecibo.aero.org (06/28/89)

In article <2456@yunexus.UUCP>, gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes...

>>I believe the author is looking for information pertaining
>>to genetic algorithms.
>
>Could we who live in the AI underworld have a reference for this?

David Goldberg, a former student of John Holland, wrote a good
book concerning genetic algorithms:

  Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization, and Machine Learning
  Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., copyright 1989

:: JC Kern
:: kern@arecibo.aero.org
:: (213) 336-3573

robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) (06/28/89)

In article <2456@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) writes:
>>I believe the author is looking for information pertaining
>>to genetic algorithms.

>Could we who live in the AI underworld have a reference for this?

>nrg

I am not a researcher in genetic algorithms so I can't point you personally
to "classic" refs but I have found some possible sources. So, the following
refs are provided "as is:"  :-)  BTW, GA's have been discussed several times
in the past on comp.ai but I did not follow the discussions so the following
may be redundant.

First, a couple of lists gleaned from fellow students' computer accounts here
at Georgia Tech.

The following books give a good overview of genetic learning
systems:

Adaptation in Natural and rtificial Systems,
J. H. Holland, Univ. Michigan Press: Ann Arbor, 1975.

Induction: Processes of Inference, Learning, and Discovery,
J. H. Holland, K. J. Holyoak, R. E. Nisbett and P. A. Thagard,
MIT Press: Cambridge, 1986.

Genetic Algorithms and Simulated Annealing,
L. Davis (ed.), Pitman: London, 1987.

Genetic Algorithms and Their Applications:
Proceedings of the 2nd Intl. Conf. Genetic Algorithms,
J. J. Grefenstette (ed.), Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc: Hillsdale, 1987.

There is also a bulletin board devoted to genetic algorithms
and related topics.  To join, send a request to:
	GA-List-Request@NRL-AIC.ARPA

[Note: I have no idea whether this list is still active.]
=========
[No sources were listed with these so I don't know if they will help]

Rosenberg, R. S. (1967) "Simulation of genetic populations with biochemical
properties", studies the evolution of populations of single-celled organisms.

Reynolds, R. G. (1979) "An adaptive computer model of the evolution of
agriculture for hunter-gatherers in the valley of Oaxaca, Mexico",
a study that explains a body of archaeological findings.

Booker, L. B. (1982) "Intelligent behavior an an adaptation to the task
environment", a computational model of cognition and learning
in simple creatures.

Perry, Z. A. (1984) "Experimental study of speciation in ecological
niche theory using genetic algorithms"

Grosso, P. B. (1985) "Computer simulation of genetic adaptation: Parallel
subcomponent interaction in a multilocus model", studies diploid
representations and explicit migration among subpopulations.

===========================

Then, I took a quick look at our online IEEE publications catalog and found
the following general sources:

The journal _Machine Learning_, vol 3., no. 2-3 has a collection of papers
on genetic algorithm related topics.

I found at least 30 papers from the _2nd International Conference on Genetic
Algorithms_, 1987, Cambridge, MA July 1987.  Published by LEA, Inc Hillsdale,
NJ.  I suppose there was a 1st Conf. too.....  One of the papers in the first
list above is in these proceedings.

Also, "Learning using classifier systems: a survey" in Proceedings of CIPS
Edmonton '87: Intelligent Integration, Nov 1987.  Published by Edmonton Alta,
Canadian Information Processing Society.

There were others but I don't have time to transcribe them.  Hope these help.
--

marcap@concour.CS.Concordia.CA (Marc Pawlowsky) (07/05/89)

In article <2456@yunexus.UUCP> gall@yunexus.UUCP (Norman R. Gall) writes:
>robinson@prism.gatech.EDU (Stephen M. Robinson) writes:
>>I believe the author is looking for information pertaining
>>to genetic algorithms.
>
>Could we who live in the AI underworld have a reference for this?

I am writing a thesis on GA's specifically using the rule production
models.  If anybody wants my bibliography I can mail them a copy.

Please send me your E-mail address if you want a copy.

weltyc@cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) (07/06/89)

The Third International Conference on Genetic Algorithms was just held
at George Mason University a few weeks ago.  The proceedings are
available from Morgan Kaufman.

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs | "Porsche:  Fahren in
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu             ...!njin!nyser!weltyc |  seiner schoensten Form"