[comp.ai] Racism

ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) (07/10/89)

> ENTRY     racism (RAY'siz'uhm) n.
> SYLLABLES ra-cism
> MEANING   1. The notion that one's own ethnic stock is superior.  2.
>           Discrimination or prejudice based on racism.

I am interested in this definition.  About a week ago I read the
following statement from a black author (I can't remember his name, but
the statement is so extraordinary that I can reproduce it exactly:)

``If I call you a lump of white shit that's not racism, that's just
prejudice.  If you discriminate against me that's racism, because you
are in a position of power over me.''

Any comments anyone? (Incidentally I happen to think this author,
whoever he is, must be bonkers if he believes that racial insults are
not racist.  Overhearing two schoolchildren exchanging racist jokes in
England last week -- it does not happen here -- I could not have been
more disgusted if they had shat on the floor.)

--
Ken Johnson, AI Applications Institute, 80 South Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1HN
E-mail ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk, phone 031-225 4464 extension 212

andrew@berlioz (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (07/13/89)

In article <562@skye.ed.ac.uk>, ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) writes:

> > ENTRY     racism (RAY'siz'uhm) n.
> > SYLLABLES ra-cism
> > MEANING   1. The notion that one's own ethnic stock is superior.  2.
> >           Discrimination or prejudice based on racism.
>
> ``If I call you a lump of white shit that's not racism, that's just
> prejudice.  If you discriminate against me that's racism, because you
> are in a position of power over me.''
>
> Any comments anyone? (Incidentally I happen to think this author,
> whoever he is, must be bonkers if he believes that racial insults are
> not racist.  Overhearing two schoolchildren exchanging racist jokes in
> England last week -- it does not happen here -- I could not have been
> more disgusted if they had shat on the floor.)

I have two comments on this. First,it seems to me that the use of the
word "discrimination" has been subtly altered over the last few years.
The original meaning concerned itself with qualities like discernment
and acuity; now it's a slurring word. The original qualities, having
direct relevance to pattern recognition, are key factors in an
organism's ability to survive in a hostile or challenging environment.
Thus the ability to be discriminatory is a real plus.
I therefore find it amusing when the ability to differentiate between
the (objective) characteristics of human beings is taken to be insulting.
Hey - if you're fat, you're fat. The only thing which prevents me telling
you this is my upbringing, which includes the concept of tact, which in
turn is based on a basic rule of "do unto others", etc. And this is
modulated by my perception of how you perceive yourself; if you're "proud
to be plump", and I know you well, I may say this to you to clear the air.
If you're having a tough time dieting, I probably won't.

Secondly, the often insular attitudes of many residents of the British
Isles results in many racially-oriented conversations. Being English
myself, this is not something of which I am particularly proud. It
has a lot to do with the legacy of the planet's largest empire to date,
and the fact that simply it's an island. The fact that we haven't been
conquered for over 900 years helps support this view too.

Enough of digression, and back to AI!
Andrew Palfreyman	I should have been a pair of ragged claws
nsc!berlioz!andrew	Scuttling across the floors of silent seas