[comp.ai] Pedagogy I

muttiah@cs.purdue.EDU (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) (07/13/89)

 'Is the existence of knowledge knowledge enough ?'

ian@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (Ian Finch) (07/15/89)

In article <7111@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, muttiah@cs.purdue.EDU (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) writes:

>  'Is the existence of knowledge knowledge enough ?'

Surely you need the knowledge of the existence of knowledge, or even the
knowledge of the location of knowledge?

If you need to know the speed of light, it is not enough for the speed of
light to be known, you must know that is known, and know _where_ to look it
up!

andrew@berlioz (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (07/18/89)

In article <9018@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk>, ian@mva.cs.liv.ac.uk (Ian Finch) writes:
> In article <7111@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, muttiah@cs.purdue.EDU (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) writes:
> >
> >  'Is the existence of knowledge knowledge enough ?'
>
> Surely you need the knowledge of the existence of knowledge, or even the
> knowledge of the location of knowledge?
>
> If you need to know the speed of light, it is not enough for the speed of
> light to be known, you must know that is known, and know _where_ to look it
> up!

This belongs in talk.philosophy.meta or similar, but in any case, the
correct answer depends on exactly what your purpose is; in summary, the
question is stated in a fuzzy manner (like most real-life ones!).

As illustration, if the purpose is only to be aware of the existence of
knowledge as a means to some end, or indeed as an end in itself, then the
query is a tautological one, with "yes" as the answer.

If more is required from this unstated purpose, concerned with the content
and/or location of the knowledge, or indeed with how it should be applied
in order to achieve this purpose, then of course the answer is "no".

Because the purpose (goal) is unstated, the word "knowledge" may be
substituted for with practically any substantive, from "toad-sexing"
to "clothes-horses".

All this is a nice illustration of separation of a message from its
contextual frame of reference.
Andrew Palfreyman	I should have been a pair of ragged claws
nsc!berlioz!andrew	Scuttling across the floors of silent seas