[comp.ai] AI and hypertext?

apl_aimh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Marty Hall) (07/18/89)

We are looking for information regarding the integration of
hypertext and AI on a microcomputer platform. Political reasons
dictate that "microcomputer" is IBM/386 type machine or Mac II, even
if that makes it more expensive and/or powerful than, say, a Sun
Sparcstation.

So far we have seen two possible approaches: (a) using a hypertext
system that includes some sort of AI or expert system shell;
(eg Knowledge Pro, MacSMARTS Professional, Analyst/Assistant,
First Class HT), or (b) getting a hypertext system that can
communicate with some AI tool such as GoldWorks, Nexpert Object,
or software on a Symbolics MacIvory board (e.g. Hypercard and its
more advanced cousins like Supercard can communicate with the MacIvory
quite well).

However, we seem to have two problems, and were hoping that somebody
with some more experience in these areas could offer some suggestions.
In case (a), it appears that the AI tools are relatively weak, while
we are having difficulty discovering the abilities of the tools to
communicate for case (b). Does anyone have any experience they
might offer? Have we overlooked some tool that combines hypertext
and an AI shell in category (a)?

Many thanks-
			- Marty Hall
apl_aimh%jhunix.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu Artificial Intelligence Laboratory
...uunet!jhunix!apl_aimh               AAI Corporation
apl_aimh@jhunix.bitnet                 PO Box 126
(301) 683-6455                         Hunt Valley, MD  21030

brady@udel.EDU (Joseph Brady) (07/19/89)

In article <2090@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> apl_aimh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Marty Hall) writes:

>We are looking for information regarding the integration of
>hypertext and AI on a microcomputer platform.
>Does anyone have any experience they
>might offer? Have we overlooked some tool that combines hypertext
>and an AI shell in category (a)?

I have been using KnowledgePro to develop some computer based education
software. I find it to be very flexible and easy to use. There are
bridges to graphics, databases and spreadsheet data, if you need that.
Whether or not KnowledgePro is too "weak" for your intended
application I cannot say.

VPExpert also has a hypertext capability.

Joe Brady