[comp.ai] Citation to CHAOS

lib007@muvms1.bitnet (06/15/89)

In article <249@utrcu1.UUCP>, goedhart@utrcu1.UUCP (Goedhart) writes:
> For all folks interested in free will and such, there is an interesting
> book, altough not entirely on this subject. The book I am refering to is
> called CHAOS and was written by James Gleick.
>
> I'm sorry, but I can't give you exact details of the book. It is
> momentarily not in reach, and it is a Dutch translation....
>
> Bye, Peter.
> (I am momentarily using the account of a friend.)

The book was published in the US by Viking Press in 1987.  I have the author
listed as Geick rather than Gleick, but I don't have the book in front of me.
It is an excellent narrative account of the development of dynamical systems
theory.  The full title is CHAOS:  THE MAKING OF A NEW SCIENCE.

--
         lib007@muvms1.bitnet,Marshall University
         Fred R. Reenstjerna     | All my life's a circle,

arshad@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Arshad Mahmood) (07/22/89)

In article <4066@muvms1.bitnet> lib007@muvms1.bitnet writes:
>In article <249@utrcu1.UUCP>, goedhart@utrcu1.UUCP (Goedhart) writes:
>> For all folks interested in free will and such, there is an interesting
>> book, altough not entirely on this subject. The book I am refering to is
>> called CHAOS and was written by James Gleick.
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I can't give you exact details of the book. It is
>> momentarily not in reach, and it is a Dutch translation....
>>
>> Bye, Peter.
>> (I am momentarily using the account of a friend.)
>
>The book was published in the US by Viking Press in 1987.  I have the author
>listed as Geick rather than Gleick, but I don't have the book in front of me.
>It is an excellent narrative account of the development of dynamical systems
>theory.  The full title is CHAOS:  THE MAKING OF A NEW SCIENCE.

Definitely not Geick, it is by James Gleick. Here are the details (for Britian
at least)

	James Gleick
	Chaos: making a new science
	London Heinemann 1988
	352pp

	(in my local bookshop "Thins" it's around 5 pounds paperback)
Very absorbing reading, recommend it highly !

A. Mahmood
Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science
Edinburgh University