[comp.ai] ES shells

segedy@cspi.com (Cathy Segedy) (07/11/89)

Hello.
	I am currently taking a course in Expert Systems.  We have an extended
group project to do.  As one of the sections of it, we are supposed to compare
one or more expert system shells with an expert system language (the language
has to be OPS5, since that is what one of our other projects used).  Anyway,
I was wondering if there were any public-domain shells for either UNIX, DOS,
VMS, or Macintosh which someone could suggest to me, as well as how to get
it/them in a short amount of time.  Also, if anyone knows of companies which
have demo-disks, this might be usefull.  The professor will be handing out
a demo-disk with one shell on it, but our group wanted to do several shells.
I appreciate any help or advice which anyone can give me, and thanks in
advance.
					cathy segedy
best choice:
	decvax!bu-tyng!csegedy
other possibilities:
	decvax!cspi!segedy
	apollo!cspi!segedy

my opinions are my own, and do not represent my job or my school.

mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry) (07/13/89)

>I was wondering if there were any public-domain shells for either UNIX, DOS
>VMS, or Macintosh which someone could suggest to me, as well as how to get
>it/them in a short amount of time.  Also, if anyone knows of companies which
>have demo-disks, this might be usefull.  The professor will be handing out
>a demo-disk with one shell on it, but our group wanted to do several shells.
>I appreciate any help or advice which anyone can give me, and thanks in
>in advance ...decvax!bu-tyng!csegedy

I have written a DOS based expert system shell that uses a windowing user
interface and is based on a standard backward chaining inference system.
It includes a structured rule editor, notepad editor, and on-line user
manual.  I have been using it to teach expert systems as part of an
undergrad AI course at Western Oregon State College.  It has also been
used at Oregon State ( Home Econ for Nutrition Expert Systems) and the
Univ. of Washington ( School of Education).

It is currently available in three forms: A public domain version limited
to 25 rules, A student version limited to 50 rules, and a Full version
( 300-500 rules depending on complexity).  I will be happy to send you a
PD version of the program if you will email me your address.

Mitch Fry
 hp-pcd!hpcvlx!mitchf  /* for the summer, then its back to Oregon State */

880716a@aucs.uucp (Dave Astels) (07/18/89)

In article <102930001@hpcvlx.HP.COM> mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry) writes:
>I have written a DOS based expert system shell
>A public domain version

How about posting the PD version to comp.binaries.ibm.pc ?

I would like to play with an ES shell a bit, after taking a very theoretical
ES course last semester.  I'm sure there are many others that would like to
see it as well.

You don't mention the distribution methods for the other versions.

- Dave

880716a@Acadia
880716a@aucs.UUCP

--
- Dave

880716a@Acadia
880716a@aucs.UUCP

mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry) (07/19/89)

/ hpcvlx:comp.ai / 880716a@aucs.uucp (Dave Astels) /  4:04 am  Jul 18, 1989 /
>In article <102930001@hpcvlx.HP.COM> mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry) writes:
>>I have written a DOS based expert system shell
>>A public domain version
>
>How about posting the PD version to comp.binaries.ibm.pc ?
>
>I would like to play with an ES shell a bit, after taking a very theoretical
>ES course last semester.  I'm sure there are many others that would like to
>see it as well.
>
>You don't mention the distribution methods for the other versions.

I would be glad to post the PD version of the system to comp.binaries.ibm.pc
however, I have not used notes/cs-net that much except for reading some of
the groups that I have interests in ( comp.ai ...).  So how do you send
binaries to the system ( The total size of the Binaries and support
files is about 250K)??

I have had a LARGE number of requests (30+) for the PD version of the
"Expert Consultant" shell and have just mailed all of those requests
out today via USPS (slug mail).  The student version and full versions
of the system I sell for nominal fees ( $15 and $75).  There is also
a runtime only version that has all of the development tools removed and
can be compiled with a developed and tested rule set for end user delivery,
so that rules cannot be altered by the enduser.  The only difference in the
systems is the number of rules that can be used ( 25 for PD, 50 for Student,
400-500 for the Full version).

My main design effort on this Shell has been to keep is simple and easy to
use so that it is practical to teach a short section on Expert Systems in
an undergrad AI course and have students be able to learn to use the shell
and write a small rule set within a 3 week period.

If there appears to be enough interest in the full version, I may port it
to OS/2 and Presentation Manager in order to add a better User interface and
to significantly increase its potential rule space ( possible up to several
thousand rules all present in real memory).

Included in the PD version of the shell are three example rules sets created
by some of my students ( a bankruptcy ES, a golf consultant, and a rock
identification system).  These are definately STUDENT projects though and
all three were done in 2-3 weeks, so...

For all of you who have requested copies, THANX for your interest, and I hope
that you find it useful.  I will be interested in any feedback you may wish
to give me.

MITCH

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (07/23/89)

I have been working with CLIPS, and ES shell with powerful pattern
matching, great speed and portability (written in C) -- I have
been using the executable version which I got when I bought
the book:

	Expert Systems / Principles and Programming
	Giarratano & Riley, PWS-KENT, Boston 1989

This has prompted me to order the source, which is currently around $350
for the 25,000 lines of C.  I plan to make my own extensions, foreign
function interface, etc -- so I'd be willing to post the source when I
get it -- the license does not restrict me from doing so in any way,
since it's free to Government users, was built by NASA, and etc, etc

CLIPS on my 386 box is as fast as LISP-based ESs on LISP Machines.

The book is $60-65 -- and well worth it. I will entertain detailed
questions about features of CLIPS if delivered via e-mail

m sierchio

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us

andy@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Andrew Purshottam) (07/24/89)

The $300 price is curious, I have seen adds for clips from
Austin Code works asking $30, and I have been told that
federally funded research projects (like my prof's) can
get it for free?! What gives?

Andy

ntm1169@dsacg1.UUCP (Mott Given) (07/24/89)

From article <12825@well.UUCP>, by gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart):
> I have been working with CLIPS, and ES shell with powerful pattern ...

 I am a CLIPS user also.  I would like to correspond with you but I am
 not sure how to send email to you.  We are on both UUCP and MILNET, and I
 would prefer to reply to you via the MILNET backbone of the INTERNET.  I am
 not familiar with electronic addresses ending with "sf.ca.us."  What country
 are you posting from?  Does a reply to your email address with "sf.ca.us"
 require including an email relay server in the address, such as
 "nsfnet-relay.ac.uk"?

 Also, I am interested in finding more about the Garriantano book.  What info
 does it have that the CLIPS reference manual doesn't have?

--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002

ntm1169@dsacg1.UUCP (Mott Given) (07/24/89)

From article <15762@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, by andy@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Andrew Purshottam):
> The $300 price is curious, I have seen adds for clips from ...

 CLIPS is available free to U.S. government agencies.  It is not in the public
 domain .  For more information, contact an agency that distributes it,
 COSMIC, at 404-542-3265.

--

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (07/25/89)

In article <15762@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> andy@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU

	>> (Andrew Purshottam) writes:
	>>>The $300 price is curious, I have seen adds for clips from
	>>>Austin Code works asking $30, and I have been told that
	>>>federally funded research projects (like my prof's) can
	>>>get it for free?! What gives?
	>>>
	>>>Andy

I gather that the difference is mainly copious printed documentation
and user's guide, when ordered from COSMIC, vs. just source and on-line
docs from Austin Codeworks.  Yes, it's freely available to government
workers, or grantees -- the $350 does include updates, etc. For a
commercial shop (like me :-)), the $350 is worth it for printed docs
and (limited) support.  The $35 for the CLIPS v4.2 from Austin
Codeworks is a good deal, though -- and the ~$65 I paid for the book (at
Cody's in Berkeley) with the executable version was even better!  Now,
I'd like to make a version for Phar Lap's DOS XTENDER to run a true
'386 version under MS-DOS, and a V/386 version -- still climbing the
learning curve on CLIPS itself -- the ports should be a snap.

m sierchio	vox (415) 528-044

--
				{apple, pacbell, hplabs, ucbvax}!well!gors
							gors@well.sf.ca.us
(Doolan) | (Meyer) | (Sierchio) | (Stewart)

mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry) (07/25/89)

I would be interested in the address/phone of Austin Code Works and a
refference to Garriantano Book ( Where is it available from).  Has anyone
done a port to OS/2? Or other ports ( 680x0 systems?).

Thanks Lots...MITCH

ntm1169@dsacg1.UUCP (Mott Given) (07/26/89)

From article <102930003@hpcvlx.HP.COM>, by mitchf@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Mitchel Fry):
> refference to Garriantano Book ( Where is it available from).  Has anyone

 The Giarrantano book is "Expert Systems: Principles and Programming"
 published by PWS-Kent Publishing Co., 20 Park Plaza, Boston, MA 02116 ,
 1-800-354-9706.  It costs $51.50 + $2.00 shipping and handling + your
 state's sales tax.
--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002
INTERNET:  mgiven@dsacg1.dla.mil   UUCP: ntm1169@dsacg1.uucp
Phone:  614-238-9431  AUTOVON: 850-9431   FAX: 614-238-3214 I speak for myself

gors@well.UUCP (Gordon Stewart) (07/27/89)

Austin Codeworks:

	acw!info@uunet.uu.net