[comp.ai] Productions Systems: OPS5

glass@lilink.UUCP (Adam Glass) (07/31/89)

I need a pointer to the 'original' specification for the production system
known as OPS5.  I have references to works on OPS but not the original spec
for the syntax and operation of the language/production system.  The same
information for OPS83 would also be useful....

later,
ag
gadfly
Adam Glass                                      LILINK Public Xenix
Exiled UC Berkeley student                      Valley Stream, NY
{cmcl2!hombre! , decvax!mergvax!}lilink!glass   Ignore Reality

jps@cat.cmu.edu (James Salsman) (07/31/89)

In article <796@lilink.UUCP> glass@lilink.UUCP (Adam Glass) writes:
> I need a pointer to the 'original' specification for the production system
> known as OPS5.  I have references to works on OPS but not the original spec
> for the syntax and operation of the language/production system.

  "OPS5 Users Manual," Charles L. Forgy, 1981, CMU Tech.
   Report CS-81-135.  (the syntax & semantics)

  "Rete: A Fast Algorithm for the Many Pattern/Many Object Pattern
   Match Problem," Charles L. Forgy, 1982, _Artificial_Intelligence_,
   no. 19, pp. 17-37.  (the algorithm)

> The same information for OPS83 would also be useful....

  "The OPS83 Report," Charles L. Forgy, 1984, CMU Tech.
   Report CS-84-133.

OPS83 is a commercial product.  It does not run under Lisp
as does OPS5, but is directly compiled. and the RHS language
has control structures such as loops, instead of just the
pure production system model of OPS5.

:James

Disclaimer:  I think, speak, and act for myself -- not the University.
--

:James P. Salsman (jps@CAT.CMU.EDU)