[comp.ai] Twin Studies

cooper@pbsvax.dec.com (05/21/88)

> <<Richard O'Keefe claiming that studies of separated identical twins being
>   invalid because of a tendency for their environments to continue to
>   be the same.>>

I can't say that I am overly familiar with this area, but all the "separated
twin" studies which I have seen discussed as evidential (rather than merely
suggestive of further research) have seemingly controlled for this by
comparing the variance of the characteristic under study in identical
twins separated at birth (100% genetic similarity) against fraternal
twins separated at birth (50% genetic similarity).  Is there a significant
body of studies which I am unfamiliar with, or is there some reason to
believe that the treatment of identical twins after separation is
substantially different from the treatment of fraternal twins after
separation?

		Topher Cooper

USENET: ...{allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!decwrl!pbsvax.dec.com!cooper
INTERNET: cooper%pbsvax.DEC@decwrl.dec.com
       or cooper@pbsvax.dec.com

wlieberm@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (05/21/88)

In article <8805201729.AA28919@decwrl.dec.com> cooper@pbsvax.dec.com writes:
>> <<Richard O'Keefe claiming that studies of separated identical twins being
>>   invalid because of a tendency for their environments to continue to
>>   be the same.>>
>
>I can't say that I am overly familiar with this area, but all the "separated
>twin" studies which I have seen discussed as evidential (rather than merely
>suggestive of further research) have seemingly controlled for this by
>comparing the variance of the characteristic under study in identical
>twins separated at birth (100% genetic similarity) against fraternal
>twins separated at birth (50% genetic similarity).  Is there a significant
>body of studies which I am unfamiliar with, or is there some reason to
>believe that the treatment of identical twins after separation is
>substantially different from the treatment of fraternal twins after
>separation?
>

>		Topher Cooper
>
>USENET: ...{allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!decwrl!pbsvax.dec.com!cooper
>INTERNET: cooper%pbsvax.DEC@decwrl.dec.com
>       or cooper@pbsvax.dec.com

Topher Cooper's remarks are well-thought out and relevant.

His thoughts should be extended a little, though, I feel.

At first, there would not seem to be any reason to believe the treatment of
identical twins (after separation) should be substantially different from the
treatment of fraternal twins (after similar separation). And there may, in
fact, not exist substantive difference in treatment.

But what is difficult conceptually (and therefore, in practice) to control for
are phenotypically-based differences (factors, such as looks, which are
observable) between, on the one hand, the set of identical twins (basically
no obvious differences), and on the other hand, the set of fraternal
differences (plenty of obvious, overt differences, such as in their looks - say
handsome vs ugly).

If the fraternal twins differ only in LOOKING different (to the adult adopting
parents, etc), that fact ALONE MAY cause differential behavior TOWARD those
children, chain-reacting a cause and effect cycle that winds up as being
measured as "differences in intelligence (or behavior) "due to" genetic-based
differences!

Thus, while the difference observed within the set of fraternal twins
is demonstrably due to the fact of fraternal vs identical origins, the thesis
that the difference is DUE to neurologically-related differences in the
nervous system is NOT thus demonstrated!  All that will have been
demonstrated, and I think most can agree has been demonstrated, is that the
differences observed are due to SOMETHING related to genetics - but one must
be very cautious, until a specific anatomical, biochemical, etc. analysis has
been done on the complete developmental structure of the brain to show one way
or another (which we are years away from being able to do) of drawing
the conclusion that psychological factors, such as intelligence, are
necessarily the sole initial CAUSE of later observed behavioral differences.

In other words, until such time as it will be possible to specifically
measure every aspect of TOTAL behavior, one may not conclude that a
genetic difference is solely (or at all) linked to a conjectured fundamentally
neurologically-based difference.

Bill Lieberman

ghh@clarity.Princeton.EDU (Gilbert Harman) (05/22/88)

Could someone please post references to the twin studies
being referred to?  I am only familiar with older ones that
have turned out to be based on fraudulent data.

	Gil Harman
	Princeton University Cognitive Science Laboratory
	Princeton, NJ 08542

ghh@princeton.edu
HARMAN@PUCC.BITNET

demers@beowulf.ucsd.edu (David E Demers) (08/03/89)

The study I mentioned earlier is the Minnesota Study of Twins
Reared Apart Project.  A contact is:
Auke Tellegen, Dept of Psychology
Elliot Hall
U. of Minnesota
75 East River Rd
Minneapolis, Minn  55455

See "Personality Similarity in Twins Reared Apart and Together",
J. Personality and Social Psychology, 1988, v54(6) 1031-1039.

This reports on application of the MPQ to 217 monozygotic and
114 dizygotic twins reared together and 44 monozygotic & 27
dizygotic twins reared apart.

Heritabilities of personality traits are estimated at .39 to .58.
The contribution of common family environment appears negligible.

Look it up for more...

Dave DeMers
demers@cs.ucsd.edu