[comp.ai] Organic Evolution

dmark@cs.Buffalo.EDU (David Mark) (08/06/89)

In article <4514@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>From article <19229@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU>, by b27y@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU:
>" 	What about "reverse" evolution?  ...
>"                                            ...  More specifically: A type of
>" pike, whose teeth where evovling so that they stick outwards, which made
>" cating and eating prey MORE difficult?  This doesn't seem possible under the
>" orignal Darwinian discriptions. ...
>
>In _The Meaning of Evolution_, Simpson proposes an explanation of how
>such things can happen.  He gives an example of a type of elk whose
>antlers came to be burdonsomely large, and claims this happened because
>of a genetic link between antler size and overall body size.  Increased
>body size was sufficiently advantageous to overcome the disadvantage of
>the outsized antlers.

The essence of Darwinian evolution combines the following:  (a) populations
generally exhibit natural variation;  (b) resources are limited yet
reproduction almost always is (potentially) geometric.  Combine these
(because of (b), not all individuals can survive), and we get "more fit"
individuals having a greater probability or surviving and reproducing than
do "less fit" individuals.  It is probabilistic, so a "less fit" individual
might by chance survive while a "more fit" one might not.  But generally,
advantageous characters are retain, whereas negative and (usually) neutral
characters are lost from the gene pool.

Of course, not all characters are independent.  Greg Lee was alluding,
probably, to allometric effects in the relation of antler size to body size.
But perhaps antler size *was* directly selected for, through sexual
selection for mating, even though it was disadvantageous for living between
breeding.  In evolution, the winners are the ones that leave the most descend-
ants.  And that could mean trading off reproductive success against personal
survival.  There are all sorts of cases where evloution reduces individual
survival chance in males, in order to promote reproductive success if they
should survive.  Just think of all the brightly colored male birds in
sexually-dimorphic species.

Also, some characteristics of a species can be barely adequate, if
competition for resources is not linked to that character.  The fish teeth
could be a release of selective pressure for maximally-efficient mouths
in a situation where food resources were abundant and perhaps breeding
space or territory was limited.  Antlers are of some use for defence
against predators, but seem primarily to be there to battle other males and/or
to impress females into selecting them.  In most deer, only the males have
them.

Inefficiencies of "hacked-together" anatomical features do not mean that
Darwin was wrong.  Stephen J. Gould's essay "The Panda's Thumb" uses the
imperfection and inefficiency of that anatomical feature as a fact
favoring organic evolution over creationsim (at least, that is what I remember
from the essay).

Organic evolution tends to favor the characteristics of those individuals that
are good enough and lucky enough to leave a maximum number of descendants.

David Mark
dmark@cs.buffalo.edu