[comp.ai] Reference: "ID3 Learning Algorithm"

drs@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Darrell Schiebel) (09/06/89)

Can any one out there provide me with a reference for the ID3
Learning Algorithm ?  I have been unable to find any references.

Other (non-strictly AI) topics I'm doing a literature search on:
      Variable Matching for Compilers
      Line Breaking Algorithms for Formatting Text
      Algorithms for Calulation of Entropy.

Also (while I'm Posting)
     Does anyone know who is the moderator for "comp.parallel" ?
     (My local system sayes its moderated)

Thanks (My apologies for this mix of questions),

Darrell Schiebel
drs@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu

kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (09/08/89)

In article <216@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu.edu> drs@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Darrell Schiebel) writes:

>Can any one out there provide me with a reference for the ID3
>Learning Algorithm ?  I have been unable to find any references.
>Darrell Schiebel
>drs@cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu

@Article(Quinlan:ML86,
        Author = "J. Ross Quinlan",
        Title = "Induction of Decision Trees",
        Journal = MLJ,
        Volume = "1",
        Number = "1",
        Year = "1986")

@InCollection{Rendell:ofby,   Key="Rendell",   Author="Larry Rendell",
   Title="Induction, of and by Probability",
   Year="1986",    Booktitle="Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence",
   pages="429--443",
   Publisher="New York: North Holland",   Editor="Kanal, L. and Lemmar, J"    }

@Book(CART,
        Author = "Leo Breiman and Jerome H. Friedman and Richard A. Olshen
                        and Charles J. Stone",
        Title = "Classification and Regression Trees",
        Publisher = "Wadsworth",
        Address = "Belmont, California",
        Year = "1984" )

@Book(HuntEtAl:Induction,
        Author = "Earl B. Hunt, Janet Marin and Philip J. Stone",
        Title = "Experiments in Induction",
        Publisher = "Academic Press",
        Address = "New York, NY",
        Year = "1966")

Carl Kadie
ARPA:  kadie@m.cs.uiuc.edu

jorge@hpfclp.SDE.HP.COM (Jorge Gautier) (09/08/89)

> Can any one out there provide me with a reference for the ID3
> Learning Algorithm ?  I have been unable to find any references.

"Induction of Decision Trees", J.R. Quinlan, _Machine Learning Journal_,
1:1, 1986, pp. 81-106.