[comp.ai] Popular shells

brady@udel.edu (Joseph Brady) (10/05/89)

I am thinking of writing a system to help operators trouble shoot
computer/peripheral equipment malfunctions over the phone. The system
would do a good enough diagnosis so the operator could make a reasonable
decision about what the major problem is and who to send out to fix it; i.e.,
it would not have to make a precise or 100% reliable diagnosis.
System might have to interface with a database (e.g., DBase, RBase).
System would probably be intermediate in size. It would have to run
on an IBM micro in 512K. Speed of execution should be good.

I figure VPExpert would be a good shell to look at as well as
KnowledgePro. Anyone have other suggestions for micro-based shells that do
a good job on diagnostic/skeleton planning tasks?

mshapiro@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Blind Man With A Vision) (10/05/89)

In article <806@nigel.udel.EDU> brady@udel.edu (Joseph Brady) writes:

>I figure VPExpert would be a good shell to look at as well as
>KnowledgePro. Anyone have other suggestions for micro-based shells that do
>a good job on diagnostic/skeleton planning tasks?

Well, there's a shell put out by a now all but extinct company which
was once called Teknowledge......

If you can get your hands on M.1 it might be worth considering.

Wondering why nobody else likes black jelly beans,

[Mitch]