[comp.ai] AI biographies

thefool@athena.mit.edu (Michael A. de la Maza) (10/07/89)

>		D. Bobrow		     A. Newell
>		E. Charniak		S. Papert
>		F. Hayes-Roth		R. Schank
>		W. Lehnert		H. Simon
>		D. McDermott		T. Winograd
>		M. Minsky		     Y. Wilks

Where can I get biographical or autobiographical information on these
AI scientists and others like them?

-- michael de la maza     thefool@athena.mit.edu   horse@ai.mit.edu

reeves@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (John F. Reeves) (10/07/89)

Michael A. de la Maza...

>Where can I get biographical or autobiographical information on these
>AI scientists and others like them?

One good book is _The Cognitive Revolution in Psychology_ (Baars, B.,
Guilford, 1986).  It has bios and interviews with Chomsky, Fodor,
Simon, and Norman.  Most of the book is concerned with behaviorism,
its defenders, and the transition to cognitive science, but these
interviews with ``nucleators'' (contributors to cognitive psychology
from outside the field) all touch on artificial intelligence in one
way or another.

 John Reeves -----------------------------------------------------------
 UCLA AI Lab         Internet: reeves@cs.ucla.edu
 3531 Boelter Hall   UUCP: ...!(uunet,rutgers,ucbvax)!cs.ucla.edu!reeves
 UCLA LA CA 90024 ------------------------------------------------------

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry W. Kort) (10/11/89)

In article <14924@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> horse@ai.mit.edu
(Michael A. de la Maza) writes:

 > Where can I get biographical or autobiographical information on these
 > AI scientists and others like them?

I recommend _Machines Who Think_ by Pamela McCorduck, _The Tomorrow
Makers_ by Grant Fjermedal, and _Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the
Neural Network Revolution_ by Richard Allman.

--Barry Kort

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (10/18/89)

In article <73509@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix (Barry Kort) writes:
>In article <14924@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> horse@ai.mit.edu
>(Michael A. de la Maza) writes:
>
> > Where can I get biographical or autobiographical information on these
> > AI scientists and others like them?
>
>I recommend _Machines Who Think_ by Pamela McCorduck, _The Tomorrow
>Makers_ by Grant Fjermedal, and _Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the
>Neural Network Revolution_ by Richard Allman.
>
>--Barry Kort

I am surprised to see no mention of Jeremy Bernstein's profile of Marvin Minsky
which appeared in the December 14, 1981 issue of THE NEW YORKER.  Does anyone
know if it has been incorporated into a book?

USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way  Suite 1001
	Marina del Rey, California  90292-6695

Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu

"For every human problem, there is a neat, plain solution--and it is always
wrong."--H. L. Mencken

mt@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Michael Travers) (10/18/89)

In article <10169@venera.isi.edu> smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu.UUCP (Stephen Smoliar) writes:

>I am surprised to see no mention of Jeremy Bernstein's profile of Marvin Minsky
>which appeared in the December 14, 1981 issue of THE NEW YORKER.  Does anyone
>know if it has been incorporated into a book?

It has, in the following:

 AUTHOR:  Bernstein, Jeremy, 1929-
 TITLE:   Science observed : essays out of my mind / Jeremy Bernstein.
 IMPRINT: New York : Basic Books, c1982.

Awful title, but the Minsky essay is pretty good.

--

Michael Travers / MIT Media Lab / mt@media-lab.media.mit.edu