[comp.ai] UNSW Prolog

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (10/05/89)

Hello.  I have a copy of the source for UNSW prolog that I have spent a lot
of time hacking.  Anyway, I've modified it so that it uses the same syntax
as C Prolog, plus added a few of the "niceties" to it.  The one thing I am
lacking is the code for the 'retract' clause.  I am willing to hack this in,
but I was curious if anyone else had already done this.

After I have completed this, I will post my diffs to whatever bulletin board
is considered appropriate, and I will make the source available via
anonymous UUCP from my home system.

Thank you for your help.

Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!cci632!ccird7!tvf
*or* ...!rochester!kodak!swamps!frau!tvf *or* ...!attctc!swamps!frau!tvf
"The Earth? I'm going to blow it up.  It obstructs my view of Venus" - Martin

ntm1169@dsac.UUCP (Mott Given) (10/09/89)

From article <31019@cci632.UUCP>, by tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer):
> Hello.  I have a copy of the source for UNSW prolog that I have spent a lot
> ... , I will make the source available via anonymous UUCP from my home system

   What does UNSW in UNSW prolog stand for?

   How do you do anonymous UUCP to get the source code you offer?

--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002

ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) (10/09/89)

In article <1549@dsac.UUCP>, ntm1169@dsac.UUCP (Mott Given) writes:
: From article <31019@cci632.UUCP>, by tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer):
: > Hello.  I have a copy of the source for UNSW prolog that I have spent a lot
: > ... , I will make the source available via anonymous UUCP from my home system
:    What does UNSW in UNSW prolog stand for?
:    How do you do anonymous UUCP to get the source code you offer?

UNSW stands for "University of New South Wales" (in NSW, Australia).
The last time I checked, UNSW Prolog was *not* public domain and *not*
copylefted.  It really might be a good idea to check with Claude Sammut
(claude@spectrum.eecs.unsw.oz) before shipping copies of UNSW Prolog around.
If it turns out that UNSW Prolog _can_ be copied freely these days, it
would be a good idea for someone to post a message to that effect.

There are at least two Prolog systems which _can_ be distributed:
(a) Stony Brook Prolog is reasonably Edinburgh-compatible, and is covered by
    a GNU-style copyleft.  It has extension tables and other nice things.
(b) Berkeley Prolog is covered by a Berkeley copyright but can be distributed;
    I haven't tried it out yet, but it looks Edinburgh-ish and has a state-of-
    the-art garbage collector.

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (10/10/89)

In article <1549@dsac.UUCP> ntm1169@dsac.UUCP (Mott Given) writes:
>From article <31019@cci632.UUCP>, by tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer):
>> Hello.  I have a copy of the source for UNSW prolog that I have spent a lot
>> ... , I will make the source available via anonymous UUCP from my home system
>   How do you do anonymous UUCP to get the source code you offer?

As many people have pointed out, I do not have authorization to distribute
the source code.  Until such time as I do, I will not make it available.  If
I ever get such authorization, I will post the relevant details.  Sorry.

(I posted this rather than mailing it to make this point clear.)

beser@tron.UUCP (Eric Beser) (10/19/89)

In article <2339@munnari.oz.au>, ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) writes:
> In article <1549@dsac.UUCP>, ntm1169@dsac.UUCP (Mott Given) writes:
> : From article <31019@cci632.UUCP>, by tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer):
> : > Hello.  I have a copy of the source for UNSW prolog that I have spent a lot
> : > ... , I will make the source available via anonymous UUCP from my home system
> :    What does UNSW in UNSW prolog stand for?
> :    How do you do anonymous UUCP to get the source code you offer?
>
> UNSW stands for "University of New South Wales" (in NSW, Australia).
> The last time I checked, UNSW Prolog was *not* public domain and *not*
> copylefted.  It really might be a good idea to check with Claude Sammut
> (claude@spectrum.eecs.unsw.oz) before shipping copies of UNSW Prolog around.

The UNSW prolog compiler may be found on the arpanet (simtel20), on
compuserve in the AIExpert forum, on Austin Tool Works BBS (in Texas)
and on other BBS's. Ity was also distributed via the C users group.

If it was not public domain, it has been so difused that it might as
well be.

In any case, all copies came minus the library file to be read in
whenever the interpreter starts. I am working on a series of
predicates that interface to Guido van Rostom's STDWIN package
through Xwindows. I would be interested in posting those diffs
as well, and acquiring via email the diffs to bring it up to C-prolog
status.

Eric Beser
Westinghouse ESG
Advanced Technology Group                       (301)-993-6205
ebeser@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu

ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) (10/20/89)

In article <447@tron.UUCP>, beser@tron.UUCP (Eric Beser) writes:
   [I said, and still stand by:]
> > It really might be a good idea to check with Claude Sammut
> > (claude@spectrum.eecs.unsw.oz) before shipping copies of UNSW Prolog around.

> I would be interested in posting those diffs
> as well, and acquiring via email the diffs to bring it up to C-prolog
> status.

The status of C Prolog is "hopelessly obsolete" and has been for the last
several years.  For a "research" Prolog, try SICStus Prolog or NU Prolog.
There is also the copylefted Stony Brook Prolog.  I took the trouble to
include Claude Sammut's E-mail address in my posting (and Eric Beser
quoted it!) so that someone wanting a legitimate copy of the latest and
greatest UNSW Prolog can ask the author how to do so.

(You may have to write the address as claude@spectrum.eecs.unsw.oz.AU)