[comp.ai] David Bohm speaks

silber@voodoo.ucsb.edu (11/16/89)

-Message-Text-Follows-

David Bohm gave a general purpose, big audience talk at UCSB yesterday.
In the foyer of campbell hall were minions of the Ojai crowd who peddle
krishnamurti literature (bohm used to hang out with the now deceased
guru of indeterminate one-time Indian extraction).  He spoke about his
concept of the 'implicate order' of the universe and all and everything.
Certainly his notion that some kind of 'wholeness' forms/patterns are
more fundamental than physical phenomena is appealing to abstract
computationalists.  It seemed to me that his analogy sets up a
precedence of a pattern/context system over and above the generally
defered-to physical system of physical phenomena in space-time
(juxtaposition of pattern/context with field/spatial-extent)
To computational paradigmists, it would seem that bohm's stuff can
be accomodated within some notion of privileged, super-fundamental
pattern-generating phenomena.

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Kort) (11/19/89)

In article <3033@hub.UUCP> silber@voodoo.ucsb.edu writes:

 > David Bohm gave a general purpose, big audience talk at UCSB yesterday.
 > In the foyer of Campbell Hall were minions of the Ojai crowd who peddle
 > Krishnamurti literature (Bohm used to hang out with the now deceased
 > guru of indeterminate one-time Indian extraction).  He spoke about his
 > concept of the 'implicate order' of the universe and all and everything.
 > Certainly his notion that some kind of 'wholeness' forms/patterns are
 > more fundamental than physical phenomena is appealing to abstract
 > computationalists.  It seemed to me that his analogy sets up a
 > precedence of a pattern/context system over and above the generally
 > defered-to physical system of physical phenomena in space-time
 > (juxtaposition of pattern/context with field/spatial-extent)
 > To computational paradigmists, it would seem that Bohm's stuff can
 > be accomodated within some notion of privileged, super-fundamental
 > pattern-generating phenomena.

Oh to be able to speak and write like that!

--Barry Kort

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (11/19/89)

When David Bohm came to UCLA, he gave one talk to the Physics Department and
one to the Cognitive Science Group.  This allowed him to get more technical
than he probably could at a public lecture.  Now I have to confess that it
has been quite some time since I looked at the Schroedinger wave equation,
which means that it is not too difficult for a "granola scientist" to pull
a fast one on me.  Nevertheless, it seemed like the general direction in which
he was heading was that he wanted to put "information" up there along with
"matter" and "energy" as a fundamental building block for our understanding
of the physical world.  I believe this is basically the punch line behind what
he called "soma-significance."  I would like to pursue this matter further;
and I bought myself a copy of UNFOLDING MEANING, which is apparently the only
thing in writing available about soma-significance.  (The "implicate order"
theme is in his book WHOLENESS AND THE IMPLICATE ORDER.)  Now all I need is
the time to sit down and do some serious reading . . .

USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way  Suite 1001
	Marina del Rey, California  90292-6695

Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu

"For every human problem, there is a neat, plain solution--and it is always
wrong."--H. L. Mencken