[comp.ai] postgrad AI at Edinburgh

cam@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) (11/23/89)

A number of comp.ai readers have emailed me to ask for details of
postgrad and undergrad study in AI at Edinburgh, but in many cases, for
reasons I haven't time to investigate, the return addresses don't work,
so the following is a short summary, and addresses for further
information. Please don't ask _me_ for more details; I may not know; and
I may not be able to reply to your address anyway.

The Department was established in 1966. It is a department in its own
right, and probably the largest general AI research operation outside
the USA. We have about 24 academic staff. I don't know how you size a
dept, but as an indication we have about 120 people on our phone list.
Although UK universities are in general being forced to contract, we
have been exempt from this.

We run two joint undergraduate degrees: 1) Liguistics and AI; 2)
Computer Science and AI. These are four year courses, as is the custom
in Scotland, where pupils leave school and enter university a year
earlier than in England.  Further info from the Faculty offices,
addresses at end. [As a homework exercise, summarise in a few words what
an English government obsessed with market forces is likely to do about
funding the difference between 3-year English degrees and 4-year
Scottish degrees.]

We run a twelve-month conversion course within the University's MSc in
Information Technology, leading to an MSc in IT: Knowledge-Based
Systems. There are four themes within this degree: 1) Expert Systems; 2)
Intelligent Robotics; 3) Natural Language; 4) Foundations of AI. A
student selects 8 modules according to the theme rules from the 30-odd
available, from the Depts of AI (11), CS(7), School of Cognitive
Science(5), Electrical Engineering(3), Linguistics(2), Astronomy(1),
Mechanical Engineering(1), Meteorology(1), and Physics(1). Two terms
consist of lectures, tutorial work, and exams. The third term, _and_ the
summer, consists of a project-based dissertation.

The connection with Physics is the Edinburgh Concurrent Supercomputer
Project, hosted by Physics, involving a 400 CPU Meiko transputer-based
Computing Surface, the largest parallel computer in Europe. Part of our
Dept's strength is its close association with the IT strength of
Edinburgh University in general.

We currently support research programmes involving PhD work, in the
following areas: assembly robotics; mobile robotics; design; vision;
mathematical reasoning; intelligent signal processing; education;
natural language; speech; AI programming languages; intelligent front
ends; knowledge-based planning; and knowledge-based systems.  The above
list of topics is not exhaustive.

As a general rule PhD applications should include some details of what
you want to study and why, since selection depends in the end on looking
useful to a supervisor. We often advise people who don't know, to
start with the MSc. It is now government policy in the UK that PhDs
should take three years, and universities are punished if students
exceed this.

For more details please contact:-

Joint AI and CS (BSc hons)

Faculty of Science Office (Admissions)
University of Edinburgh
West Mains Road
Edinburgh EH9 3JZ
Scotland

Joint AI and Linguistics (MA hons)

Faculty of Arts (Admissions)
University of Edinburgh
David Hume tower
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
Scotland

Postgrad PhD and MSc in IT:KBS

Admissions Secretary
Department of Artificial Intelligence
University of Edinburgh
5 Forrest Hill
Edinburgh EH1 2QL
Scotland		Fax: 031 225 9370
--
Chris Malcolm    cam@uk.ac.ed.aipna   031 667 1011 x2550
Department of Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh University

ainac@castle.ed.ac.uk (Nicolai A. Czempin) (11/23/89)

In article <1652@aipna.ed.ac.uk> cam@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) writes:
You may be interested in what students here think. I'm a 1st year AI+CS
Undergrad. I might be able to answer those questions a member of staff
a) can't answer (e.g. student related+opinions)
b) isn't allowed to answer (or he'll lose his/her job 8*)
c) doesn't want to answer

>The Department was established in 1966. It is a department in its own
>right, and probably the largest general AI research operation outside
	    ^^^^^^^^
MHO is that this is the best place to go & do AI outside USA (apart from
Sussex University, my second (and only other) choice.

>the USA. We have about 24 academic staff. I don't know how you size a
>dept, but as an indication we have about 120 people on our phone list.
Well we have ~80 people doing the first year AI course, but you have to
realize the unusual (for the UK, not the USA) system at EU.
Overall I think the University has over 13000 students, and makes it one
of the largest (if not THE) non-college Universities in Britain.
>Although UK universities are in general being forced to contract, we
>have been exempt from this.
Nyaah,nyaah :~)

>We run two joint undergraduate degrees: 1) Liguistics and AI; 2)
>Computer Science and AI.[...]
OH no, wrong! I'm certainly doing AI+Comp.Sci., and I'd like to stress
it. I wouldn't have come here just for CS.

[ other stuff about PG deleted ]
>The connection with Physics is the Edinburgh Concurrent Supercomputer
>Project, hosted by Physics, involving a 400 CPU Meiko transputer-based
>Computing Surface, the largest parallel computer in Europe. Part of our
This thing is seriously huge!(But then again, I couldn't tell a CRAY
from a DEC)

>Joint AI and CS (BSc hons)
ah that's better

>Joint AI and Linguistics (MA hons)
N.B. the MA!

PLEASE NOTE that the above opinions are strictly my own.
(I don't normally have a disclaimer, but I thought it would be
appropriate in this case.)

I am willing to help about UGing @ EU (If you can decypher it %^), but
don't ask me about PG.

--