[comp.ai] AI schools in the UK

aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman) (11/25/89)

In article <863@carroll1.UUCP>, dtroup@carroll1.UUCP
	(David C. Troup  -  Skunk Works : 2600hz) writes:

> 	About a week ago, I posted a message asking for info on schools from
> 	NetPeople who feel they're curriculum is worth suggesting to an
> 	undergrad AI major. The responses have been very positive, and I thank
> 	all of you who have sent mail to me so far. I have been suprised by the
> 	lack of replys from the 'Big Name' AI institutions. (or perhaps my view
> 	of the AI community is a little off base :-)

Chris Malcolm outlined what is available at Edinburgh University, and
ainac@castle.ed.ac.uk (Nicolai A. Czempin) commented:

> Date: 22 Nov 89 23:08:18 GMT
>
> In article <1652@aipna.ed.ac.uk> cam@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) writes:
> You may be interested in what students here think ...
> [.... stuff deleted ....]
> >The Department was established in 1966. It is a department in its own
> >right, and probably the largest general AI research operation outside
> 	    ^^^^^^^^
> MHO is that this is the best place to go & do AI outside USA (apart from
> Sussex University, my second (and only other) choice.
  ^^^^^^

So, I thought I had better provide information on Sussex University,
which provides a variety of undergraduate degrees involving AI, a
"conversion" MSc degree, and research degrees.

We have a School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences (COGS), which
provides undergraduate and postgraduate training in AI, Computer
Science, Linguistics, Philosophy and Psychology. So much of our work
in AI leans towards cognitive science (including connectionism).

There are several undergraduate degrees in COGS (in computer science,
philosophy, linguistics, psychology) in which AI plays a significant
role (including practical work in AI programming). AI is also included
in the Experimental Psychology Degree in the School of Biological
Sciences and the Economics and Computing degree in the School of Social
Sciences.

The "Computing and AI" undergraduate degree in COGS covers a wide range
of AI topics, along with work in philosophy, psychology and linguistics
and a little computer science. This is our main AI undergraduate degree
at present.

The MSc degree in "Knowledge Based Systems" is a one year intensive
conversion course for people with little or no previous training in AI
(including people with no previous computing experience). The core of
the degree is work in AI (including much software development), with
optional courses in logic, computer science, neural nets, philosophy,
psychology, linguistics.

Research degrees leading to M.Phil (2 years) and D.Phil (3 years) are
offered in all the above areas, including interdisciplinary research.

New developments from 1991 include joint degrees in
    Experimental Psychology and AI (School of Biological Sciences)
    Mathematics and AI (School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences)

and from 1992 (not yet fully approved)
    Computer Science and AI (in COGS)
    Human Centred Computer Systems (in COGS)

For information on any of the existing courses please write (specifying
whether you are concerned with undergraduate or postgraduate degrees)
to:

Admissions Office
The University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9RH
England
phone +44 273 678416

There are several other Universities in the UK in which AI is taught in
some form or other at undergraduate and/or postgraduate levels,
including Aberdeen, Aberystwyth, Cambridge, Essex, Exeter, Glasgow,
Leeds, London University (Imperial College, Queen Mary College, and
others) Manchester, Nottingham, Open University, Oxford, Sheffield,
Strathclyde, Warwick -- and no doubt several others I have temporarily
forgotten.

aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman) (11/25/89)

I previously wrote

> New developments from 1991 include joint degrees in
>     Experimental Psychology and AI (School of Biological Sciences)
>     Mathematics and AI (School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences)
>
> and from 1992 (not yet fully approved)
>     Computer Science and AI (in COGS)
>     Human Centred Computer Systems (in COGS)

For the last two this came out sounding more definite than I
intended. They are still at the discussion stage. Though I believe
they have a good chance of being approved - this cannot be relied
on.

Aaron

ainac@castle.ed.ac.uk (Nicolai A. Czempin) (11/27/89)

Hey, this guy is the one I had my interview with; do you remember me?
Well, I went up here after all :-)
In article <1823@syma.sussex.ac.uk> aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman)
writes:
>In article <863@carroll1.UUCP>, dtroup@carroll1.UUCP
>> 	lack of replys from the 'Big Name' AI institutions. (or perhaps my view
I presume it's U.S. ones tat are being referred to here.
>> 	of the AI community is a little off base :-)
>Chris Malcolm outlined what is available at Edinburgh University, and
>ainac@castle.ed.ac.uk (Nicolai A. Czempin) commented:
>
>> You may be interested in what students here think ...
>> [.... stuff deleted ....]
>> Sussex University, my second (and only other) choice.
>So, I thought I had better provide information on Sussex University,
[info about Sussex]

I thought people might like to know _why_ I chose Edinburgh rather than
Sussex for AI.
Edinburgh University AI is much more CS (i.e. technical:Robotics, Vision
etc.) related, while Sussex is more on the cognitive side of things
(i.e. Philosophy, Psychology etc.- How do people work?)
In that respect, I really couldn't make up my mind, and I ended up
choosing on the grounds of non-course related things.
So please do realize that I consider Sussex as a very good choice.
All the other ones mentioned I didn't even consider, because they
haven't done AI for very long, although they might be catching up now.
In fact, one of the pluspoints for EU is that they have been doing it
for A LONG TIME (i.e. I wasn't around when they started).

Again, only personal opinions have been stated.
I am surprised that I haven't seen any postings from any other people
studying here.. (or at Sussex, for that matter)

If you are interested in any more detail why I eventually chose this
place (i.e. those course-unrelated things) please email me.

--
Nicolai Czempin
"I am not left-handed either"

arshad@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Arshad Mahmood) (11/27/89)

As others have pointed out several institutions, I won't reiterate
what has already been said. However, for "vision" I see the group led by
Prof. Mike Brady at the University of Oxford as one of the best.

I have no connection with either the University of Oxford, or Mike Brady
although I think he is a really nice guy (if you can put up with his
swearing!).

A. Mahmood
Laboratory for the Foundations of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Edinburgh University
Scotland