[comp.ai] Artificial Sentient Beings

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Kort) (12/05/89)

In article <1989Dec3.185506.22039@cs.rochester.edu>
yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:

 > I think this points out a need for a third class of AI research:
 > research directed toward building intelligent systems which takes
 > account of the need for an intelligent system to act in the real world
 > -- not just think about acting in Blocks World.  For example: the
 > work of Brooks and Moravec would fall into this category.

 > This type of research seems to be emerging under a number of different
 > names, in a number of different fields: behavior-based robotics,
 > mobile robotics, reactive systems, artificial life, artificial
 > creatures, cybernetics.

 > I think the term Artificial Creatures, coined by Rodney Brooks, is the
 > most descriptive.  Traditional AI deals with high-level cognitive
 > abilities, Artificial Life deals with abstract populations of
 > extremely simple organisms, Artificial Creatures deals with building
 > autonomous organisms which are of intermediate complexity between
 > amoebas and logicians.

MIT has done some interesting work with Artificial Insects.  These
little self-propelled robots wander around the lab, collecting soda
cans, trying to survive and stay out of trouble.  The labroids love
to torment them with various obstacles.  They have to crawl over
stacks of books and avoid walking into fire as they seek the light.

I would like to see the construction of an Artificial Sentient Being
by the end of the Millenium (just 11 years away).  The question is
whether SAIL, MIT, Carnegie-Mellon, or the Japanese labs will get
there first.

--Barry Kort

cam@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) (12/09/89)

In article <81715@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:
|In article <1989Dec3.185506.22039@cs.rochester.edu>
|yamauchi@cs.rochester.edu (Brian Yamauchi) writes:

| > I think this points out a need for a third class of AI research:
| > research directed toward building intelligent systems which takes
| > account of the need for an intelligent system to act in the real world
| > -- not just think about acting in Blocks World.  For example: the
| > work of Brooks and Moravec would fall into this category.

|I would like to see the construction of an Artificial Sentient Being
|by the end of the Millenium (just 11 years away).  The question is
|whether SAIL, MIT, Carnegie-Mellon, or the Japanese labs will get
|there first.

Sentient? If by sentience you mean to imply conscious awareness I think
we've probably left it too late to get there by the EOM :-) But if
looking like a fish, quacking like a fish, etc., is good enough for you,
then some Scottish labs are in this game too, such as Edinburgh, and the
Turing Institute (Glasgow). Nor should you forget the Brady gang in
Oxford.
--
Chris Malcolm    cam@uk.ac.ed.aipna   031 667 1011 x2550
Department of Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh University

bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Kort) (12/12/89)

In article <1736@aipna.ed.ac.uk> cam@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) writes:

 > In article <81715@linus.UUCP> bwk@mbunix.mitre.org (Barry Kort) writes:

 > > I would like to see the construction of an Artificial Sentient Being
 > > by the end of the Millenium (just 11 years away).  The question is
 > > whether SAIL, MIT, Carnegie-Mellon, or the Japanese labs will get
 > > there first.

 > Sentient?  If by sentience you mean to imply conscious awareness I think
 > we've probably left it too late to get there by the EOM :-)  But if
 > looking like a fish, quacking like a fish, etc., is good enough for you,
 > then some Scottish labs are in this game too, such as Edinburgh, and the
 > Turing Institute (Glasgow).  Nor should you forget the Brady gang in
 > Oxford.

If the Brits or the Scots can get there first, more power to 'em!

--Barry Kort