[comp.ai] Emperor's New Mind

eskt@holin.ATT.COM (Eddie Tam) (12/24/89)

Has anyone read the new book, "The Emperor's New Mind, concerning computers,
minds, and the laws of physics", written by the noted British mathematical
physicist, Roger Penrose?

He is an opponent to the theory of strong AI, which basically claims
that intelligence and consciousness is all a matter of algorithm; the
actual physical implementation is essentially insignificant.

Penrose speculates that there is a component of consciousness which
is inherently non-algorithmic in nature, and therefore cannot be
'recreated' by an intrinsically algorithmic computer.

Penrose further suggests that the possible origin of this non-algorithmic
component of consciousness to be some quantum-mechanical effect which
involves the yet-to-be discovered theory of quantum gravity. He speculates
that quantum gravity has the characteristic of being deterministic but
yet non-computable; somewhat akin to the growth of quasi-crystals.

Penrose is a very brave man. In the same book, not only does he take
on the argument against strong AI, he also expresses his opposition to
the widely accepted quantum-mechanical view of reality being non-objective.

This is an excellent book (even if you disagree with him totally), and it
is getting rave reviews in British magazines and journals such as the
Economist, and Nature. Curiously, I have yet to be able to find a review
of it in an American magazine or journal. Is this a case of Trans-Atlantic
snobbery, or just my oversight?

Eddie Tam
AT&T Bell Labs,
Holmdel, NJ, 07724
Rm 2L-333
attcom!holin!eskt

andrew@dtg.nsc.com (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (12/24/89)

In article <851@holin.ATT.COM>, eskt@holin.ATT.COM (Eddie Tam) writes:
> Has anyone read the new book, "The Emperor's New Mind, concerning computers,
> ...is getting rave reviews in British magazines and journals such as the
> Economist, and Nature. Curiously, I have yet to be able to find a review
> of it in an American magazine or journal. Is this a case of Trans-Atlantic
> snobbery, or just my oversight?

I think Scientific American has referred to it. In general, I think that
the educated US citizen gets a raw deal on good magazines compared with
his/her European counterparts. "The Economist" has no equal here. "New
Scientist" is also excellent - of course the exception to my statement
is "Scientific American" which never fails to delight me.

I haven't even read my backlog .. ("Who Got Einstein's Office?", "Penrose
Tilings and Trapdoor Ciphers", etc. etc.) so I'll hope someone else can
provide a review here. Come to think of it - I think you might find one
if you check back about a 100 articles in comp.ai.
Andrew Palfreyman	a wet bird never flies at night		time sucks
andrew@dtg.nsc.com	there are always two sides to a broken window

harnad@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (S. R. Harnad) (12/24/89)

In article <851@holin.ATT.COM>, eskt@holin.ATT.COM (Eddie Tam) writes:

> Curiously, I have yet to be able to find a review of [Roger Penrose's
> "The Emperor's New Mind" in an American magazine or journal. Is this a
> case of Trans-Atlantic snobbery, or just my oversight?

A multiple book review will appear in the journal Behavioral and Brain
Sciences (BBS) in 1990. The publisher is Cambridge University Press, the
editorial office is in Princeton, but the journal is international
and interdisciplinary, and this will be represented in the 20 - 30
reviews from psychologists, biologists, neuroscientists, computer
scientists, linguists, physicists, mathematicians and philosophers,
co-appearing with an article-length precis of the book and a Response
to the reviews by the author.

Stevan Harnad
Editor, BBS
--
Stevan Harnad  Department of Psychology  Princeton University
harnad@confidence.princeton.edu       srh@flash.bellcore.com

costin@cogsci.EDU (Dan Costin) (01/04/90)

In article <851@holin.ATT.COM>, eskt@holin.ATT.COM (Eddie Tam) writes:

> Curiously, I have yet to be able to find a review of [Roger Penrose's
> "The Emperor's New Mind" in an American magazine or journal. Is this a
> case of Trans-Atlantic snobbery, or just my oversight?

There was a review of it in the Sunday New York Times Book Review section
I believe in the latter half of December.  Interesting ideas, but not
something that will revolutionize the field, I don't think (how many AI
people are there that have a good grasp of quantum mechanics, and what might
be wrong with it?).

-dan

kpfleger@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Karl Robert Pfleger) (01/04/90)

In article <851@holin.ATT.COM>, eskt@holin.ATT.COM (Eddie Tam) writes:

> Curiously, I have yet to be able to find a review of [Roger Penrose's
> "The Emperor's New Mind" in an American magazine or journal. Is this a
> case of Trans-Atlantic snobbery, or just my oversight?

The computer recreations column of Scientific American (December) has a
discussion of the book and its ideas. The column didn't seem to indicate
much evidence of quantum mechanical utilization in the brain. I haven't
seen the book yet.

-Karl		kpfleger@phoenix.princeton.edu
		kpfleger@pucc (bitnet)