[comp.ai] Commercial AI journals

bradb@ai.toronto.edu (Brad Brown) (01/06/90)

I've been asked by a friend to recommend some journals for a company who
wants to get into AI, primarily expert systems.  I subscribe to AI Expert
and recommended that, but I don't know that much about what else is out
there.  I also mentioned IEEE Expert, which is good, but I think AI Magazine
is too academic for what they want.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other journals they should look at?

Thanks very much!

					(-:  Brad Brown  :-)
					bradb@ai.utoronto.ca

finin@prc.unisys.com (Tim Finin) (01/08/90)

In article <90Jan5.171329est.10859@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu>, bradb@ai (Brad Brown) writes:

>I've been asked by a friend to recommend some journals for a company who
>wants to get into AI, primarily expert systems.  I subscribe to AI Expert
>and recommended that, but I don't know that much about what else is out
>there.  I also mentioned IEEE Expert, which is good, but I think AI Magazine
>is too academic for what they want.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions for other journals they should look at?

They might look at Artificial Intelligence Review.  Although this is a
"scholarly" journal rather than one aimed at engineering practice, it
may be of interest since its aim is to provide survey, tutorial and
overview articles on all aspects of AI.  Thus it should be of high
interest to a company trying to "get into AI".  I've attached a blurb
describing the journal below.  Tim

Artificial Intelligence Review is an international survey and tutorial
journal published by Blackwell Scientific Publications.

AIMS and SCOPE

AI Review intends to provide high quality, state-of-the-art survey and
tutorial papers in all areas of AI.  AI Review seeks to serve both the
"newcomer" and the established researcher alike.  It sets out to
explain AI to those who might be researchers in other fields and are
interested in incorporating AI ideas into their work.  It also serves
the needs of established AI researchers as a convenient route into an
unfamiliar sub-field, for a general reference for students or for an
opinion on a new book.

Some recent papers from 1989 include:

  Connectionism: Past, Present and Future.  J. Pollack.
  Connectionist systems for natural language understanding.  B. Selman.
  Fast connectionist Learning: words and case.  N. Sharkey.
  Connectionism and the multiplicity of mind.  A. Clark.
  Taxonomic reasoning with many-sorted logic.  J. Liebowitz.
  Abductive reasoning in multiple-fault diagnosis. T. Finin and G. Morris.
  Multiple inheritance systems with exceptions. P. Rychlik.
  Approaches to qualitative reasoning.  A. Cohn.

Some forthcoming special theme issues include:

  Artificial Intelligence - A South Pacific Perspective.
  Logic and Artificial Intelligence.
  Artificial Intelligence and Law.
  Artificial Intelligence -- an East European Perspective.

Manuscripts or proposals for special issues in any area of AI can be
submitted to either the Editor:

	Masoud Yazdani
	Department of Computer Science
	Exeter University
	Prince of Wales Road
	Exeter EX4 4PT
	UK
	(masoud%cs.exeter.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu)

or to the Associate Editor:

	Tim Finin
	Center for Advanced Information Processing
	Unisys
	PO Box 517
	Paoli PA 19301
	USA
	(finin@prc.unisys.com)

Submit two copies of a manuscript, double spaced, single sided and
with wide margins.

Requests for subscription information or specimen copies can be sent
to Anna Rivers, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Ltd., Osney Mead,
Oxford OX2 0EL, UK.
--
 Tim Finin                                   finin@prc.unisys.com
 Center for Advanced Information Technology  215-648-7446, 215-648-7412 (fax)

kern@arecibo.aero.org (01/11/90)

>I've been asked by a friend to recommend some journals for a company who
>wants to get into AI, primarily expert systems.  I subscribe to AI Expert
>and recommended that, but I don't know that much about what else is out
>there.  I also mentioned IEEE Expert, which is good, but I think AI Magazine
>is too academic for what they want.

I don't know the size or financial capability of your friend's company,
but you might suggest that he subscribe to PC AI.  This magazine focuses
on artificial intelligence tools (often expert systems) in the personal
computer domain, making it very practical for smaller businesses.  The
magazine is published quarterly out of Arizona (I think).

	JC Kern
	e-mail: kern@arecibo.aero.org
	p-mail: 1030 7th St., Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
	(213) 336-3573