[comp.ai] Recursive Searles, or what?

pluto@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Mark E. P. Plutowski) (01/06/90)

Fred Gilham writes:

>I interpret Searle's argument as follows:
>
>There is something we (humans) do, called understanding.  We usually
>know when we do it, and we can often say when others do or do not
>understand.  We can also give examples of..."not understanding" ...
>
> [stuff deleted]
>[Suppose] someone emulates this system by hand, ... [who]
>doesn't understand Chinese, yet [can] follow the rules and produce
>the desired results.  [The only]
>physical apparatus existing is the books, paper, and the person who
>doesn't understand Chinese.  The question is, what understands
>Chinese?  Searle claims that there is nothing there to understand
>Chinese.

I'm sorry to belabor the point, but I still am not convinced after
months of patiently following this argument.  What follows is not
a counter, but rather is intended to be an honest desire to clarify
my 'understanding' of the concept to a level enabling me to not
only say I understand, but prove it to some objective logician.

We believe Searle-in-the-box when he claims to not-understand.

Why?  Don't we have an objective definition of "understanding?"
Why don't we have an objective definition of understanding?
Why do we have to ask Searle whether or not he understands, in order
to ourselves decide whether or not he understands?

How can a proof be based upon a definition which is subjective to
an element of the proof itself?

Assume instead Searle-in-the-box says he does understand.  Are we
to believe him then?  Saying it doesn't make it so.  Yet, then
according to the argument, the Room would understand.

If we ask the Chinese Room itself whether it understands,
(in Chinese, of course, so Searle-in-the-box will not understand
the query) and by some fluke in the rules it somehow answers "Yes"
... Now what?  Why not believe the box's reply?

I don't think it is decidable whether to believe the Chinese Room
if it says it understands, based upon the subjective definitions
given so far.    Suppose we did not know whether Searle was Searle;
suppose it were possible he were indeed a Chinese Room - we know not
which - on what basis do we decide whether to believe
him when he says he does understand?  Because, apparently, we have
the "ground rules" laid out such that there is no way the room can
understand if Searle-inside does not. So, if Searle says he
understands, but then we find out Searle is not Searle, but is
instead a Chinese Room with another Searle inside, Searle-2, and
Searle-2 "does not understand" - because he says so --- is this
not a contradiction??  But wait, what if Searle-2 really has a
Searle-3 inside, who DOES understand?  Somebody save me.

I am not biased against Searle's basic point: (IMHO)
that the implementation matters.  I just don't see the logic
behind the counter to the systems reply, and would like to
hear it expressed in objective terms.

Prove to me the Chinese Room does not understand, without
resorting to asking Searle-inside whether (or not) he does.

gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) (01/06/90)

pluto@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Mark E. P. Plutowski) writes:
------
We believe Searle-in-the-box when he claims to not-understand.

Why?  Don't we have an objective definition of "understanding?"
Why don't we have an objective definition of understanding?
Why do we have to ask Searle whether or not he understands, in order
to ourselves decide whether or not he understands?
------
I reply:

Actually we don't have to believe him.  We can just write to him in
Chinese and see what happens.  In the case where he uses the books and
stuff he will not be able to respond without them.  In the case where
he memorizes the rules, he will not be able to translate the Chinese
into, say, English.

-------------
Mark Plutowski continues:

I am not biased against Searle's basic point: (IMHO)
that the implementation matters.  I just don't see the logic
behind the counter to the systems reply, and would like to
hear it expressed in objective terms.

Prove to me the Chinese Room does not understand, without
resorting to asking Searle-inside whether (or not) he does.
------------
I reply:

First of all, the argument does not seem to be, strictly, that
``implementation matters''.  Rather, the argument is that human minds
are doing something in addition to manipulating symbols.

Now as far as the Chinese Room not understanding, if we take the case
where the rules are in books etc., the question is, ``What physical
entity understands, if not Searle?''  I think we would all agree that
books and ink are not things that can understand.  The only actor in
the system is Searle.  If he doesn't understand, what does?  If Searle
memorizes the rules, then he is the ONLY physical entity left that
could be understanding, so I would think you have to ask him, or test
him.

Even if the system prints (in Chinese), ``I understand Chinese'', it
really doesn't matter.  That is because it is easy to produce a set of
rules that will cause a system to print ``I understand Chinese'',
whether it does or not.

If we assume, even so, that there is a ``system'' that understands,
then Penrose, in THE EMPEROR'S NEW MIND, has pointed out that this is
equivalent to postulating a ``mind-stuff'' apart from the physical
entities that exist.  This is known as dualism and most AI folk seem
to want to avoid such a viewpoint.  While the argument as a whole does
not PROVE that the Chinese Room does not understand Chinese, it does
show that no physical entity in the Chinese Room understands Chinese.

-Fred Gilham   gilham@csl.sri.com

muttiah@cs.purdue.EDU (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) (01/06/90)

>Prove to me the Chinese Room does not understand, without
>resorting to asking Searle-inside whether (or not) he does.

---

	Thomas Hobbes was undertaking a similar task without
computers of course!  We moderns have a lot to learn :-).
Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz wrote a letter to Hobbes in the form
of a dialogue.  (It is presumed that that A is really Hobbes).
It was written in 1677 when Leibniz was just 24 years old!

A. If you were given a string and required ti shape it in such
   such a way that it turned on itslef and enclosed as much space
   as possible, how would you shape it ?

B. Into a circle.  For the geometers show that the circle is the
   shape that has the greatest  capacity for a given circumference.
   And it there were two islands that could be circumnavigated, one
   circular, the other square, the circular island would contain
   more territory.

A. Do you think that this is true, even if you are not thinking
   about it ?

B. Of course.  It was true even before geometers had demonstrated it
   or before people had observed it.

A. So you think that truth and falsity are in things, and NOT IN
   THOUGHTS ?

B. Yes, indeed.

A. Then a thing is false ?

B. Not a thing, I think, but a thought or propositioni about a thing.

A. And so falsity pertains to thoughts, not to things.

B. I am forced to admit it!

A. Therefore truth as well ?

B. So it seems. But I hesitate over whether this consequence holds.

A. Now, when a question has been posed, and before you are certain
   of your opinion, aren't you in doubt about whether something
   is true of false ?

B. Certainly.

A. Therefore, you know that the same subject is capable both of
   truth and falsity, until one of the two is determined by the
   particular nature of the question.

B. I know and I admit that if falsity pertains to thoughts, then
   truth pertains to thoughts, and not to things.

A. But this contradicts what you said earlier, that even something
   no one might be thinking of can be true.

B. You have confused me.
---

ok. I will continue if you think this dialogue is of help.

muttiah@cs.purdue.EDU (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) (01/06/90)

--
In article <9170@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> muttiah@cs.purdue.edu (Ranjan Samuel Muttiah) writes:
>Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz wrote a letter to Hobbes in the form
>of a dialogue.  (It is presumed that that A is really Hobbes).
>It was written in 1677 when Leibniz was just 24 years old!
		      ^ X- should be 1670.

---
On popular demand the dialogue continues:

I am very happy to see that a brand new book is available on some
of his essays, including this dialogue.

                G.W. Leibniz.
                Philosophical Essays

                Translated by:
                Roger Ariew
                Daniel Garber

		Hackett Publishing Company (1989)

A. But we should try for a reconciliation. Do you think that all of
   the thoughts there can be are actually formed ? Or, to speak
   more clearly, do you think that all propositions are being
   thought ?

B. I don't think so.

A. Therefore, you see that truth pertains to propositions or to
   thoughts, but to propositions or thoughts that are possible, so
   that, at very least, we can be certain that if anyone were to
   think in this way or in its opposite, his thought would be true
   or false.

B. You seem nicely to have rescued us from that slippery place.

A. But since there must be reason why a given thought is going to be
   true or false, where, I ask, shall we look for it ?

B. In the nature of things, I think.

A. What if it arises from your own nature ?

B. Certainly not from there alone.  For it is neccessary that my
   nature and the nature of things that I'm thinking about are such
   that, when I proceed using a legitimate method, I infer a
   proposition of the sort that is at issue, that is, I find a
   true proposition.

A. You repond nicely, But there are difficulties.

B. What are they, I beg of you ?

A. Certain learned men think that truth arises from decisions people
   make, and from name or characters.

B. This view is quite paradoxical.

A. But they prove it this way: Isn't a definition a starting place
   for a demonstration ?

B. I admit that it is, for some propositions can be demonstrated only
   from definitions joined to one another.

A. Therefore, the truth of such propositions depends on defintions.

B. I concede that.

A. But defintions depend upon our decision.

B. How so ?

A. Don't you see that it is a matter of decision among mathematicians
   to use the word "ellipse" in such a way that it signifies a
   particular figure ? Or that it is was a matter of decision among
   the Latins to impose on the word "circulus" the meaning that the
   definition expresses ?

B. But what follows ? There can be thoughts without words.

A. But not wihout some other signs.  See whether you can do any
   arithmetic calculation without numerical signs, I ask.

B. I am very disturbed, for I didn't think that characters or signs
   were so necessary for reasoning.

A. Therefore, the truths of arithmetic presuppose certain signs or
   characters ?

B. That must be admitted.

A. Therefore, they depend upon human decision.

B. You seem to have trapped me through trickery, as it were.

A. These views are not mine, but belong to quite an ingenious writer.

B. Can anyone depart so far from good sense as to convince himself
   that truth is arbitrary and depends on names, when it is agreed
   that the Greeks, the Latins, and the Germans all have the same
   geometry ?

------------

To be continued ...

daryl@oravax.UUCP (Steven Daryl McCullough) (01/06/90)

In article <GILHAM.90Jan5125405@cassius.csl.sri.com>, gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred
Gilham) writes:

> [...stuff deleted...]
> Now as far as the Chinese Room not understanding, if we take the case
> where the rules are in books etc., the question is, ``What physical
> entity understands, if not Searle?''  I think we would all agree that
> books and ink are not things that can understand.  The only actor in
> the system is Searle.  If he doesn't understand, what does?  If Searle
> memorizes the rules, then he is the ONLY physical entity left that
> could be understanding, so I would think you have to ask him, or test
> him.
>
> Even if the system prints (in Chinese), ``I understand Chinese'', it
> really doesn't matter.  That is because it is easy to produce a set of
> rules that will cause a system to print ``I understand Chinese'',
> whether it does or not.
>
> If we assume, even so, that there is a ``system'' that understands,
> then Penrose, in THE EMPEROR'S NEW MIND, has pointed out that this is
> equivalent to postulating a ``mind-stuff'' apart from the physical
> entities that exist.  This is known as dualism and most AI folk seem
> to want to avoid such a viewpoint.  While the argument as a whole does
> not PROVE that the Chinese Room does not understand Chinese, it does
> show that no physical entity in the Chinese Room understands Chinese.
>
> -Fred Gilham   gilham@csl.sri.com

Hooray! Finally there is a statement about what the Chinese Room
proves that makes sense. I will agree that no physical entity in the
Chinese Room understands, but I think it is because *physical
entities* do not understand, *systems* do.

Roger Penrose is simply wrong to say that is equivalent to postulating
"mind-stuff". The systems reply takes it that a mind is a *pattern*
produced by physical entities, and is not the entities themselves.
This is no more dualism than is believing that sound is a vibration in
physical matter, but is not itself matter, or that heat is a property
of substances but is not itself a substance.

When you say something like "I understand English", what is the "I"
that understands? You (and Searle) seem to think it is a physical
entity, a particular human body. I don't think that is right, at all.
After all, as the old chestnut goes, you replace all the atoms in your
body every seven years or so. Any mind that can remember back to your
childhood cannot be completely associated with any particular physical
entity.

Daryl McCullough
AKA Mr. Know-it-all

--

A. What you say is right. Nevertheless, there is difficulty that
   must be resolved/

B. one thing troubles me, the fact that notice that I never know,
   discover, or prove any truth without using words or other signs
   in my mind.

A. Indeed, if characters were lacking, we would never distinctly
   know or reason about anything.

B. But when we examine figures in geometry, we often bring truths
   to light through careful contemplation of them.

A. Indeed so. But we must also realize that these figures must be
   regarded as characters, for a circle drawn on a paper is not a
   circle, nor is it necessary that it be, but it is sufficient that
   it be taken by us for a circle.

B. But it does have a certain similarity with a circle, and that
   certainly isn't arbitrary.

A. I admit that, and as a consequence, figures are the most of
   characters. But what similarity do you think there is between
   ten and the character '10' ?

B. There is some relation or order among the characters which is
   also found among things, especially if the characters are well
   designed.

A. Indeed, but what similarity do the primary elemetns themselves
   have with things, for example, '0' with nothing, or 'a' with a
   line ? You are forced to admit, at very least, that no
   similarity is necessary in these elements.  This for example,
   is the case with respect to the words 'light' and 'bearing'
   even though the composite word 'lightbearer' is related to the
   words 'light' and 'bearing', in a way that corresponds to the
   relation between the thing signified by 'lightbearer' and the
   things signified by 'light' and 'bearing'.

B. But the Greek word phosphoros has the same relation to phos
   and phero.

A. The Greeks could have used another word instead.

B. True. But yet I notice that if characters can be applied to
   reasoning, there must be some copmlex arrangement, some order
   which agrees with things, an order, if not in individual words
   (though that would be better), then at least in their conjecture
   and inflection.  And a corresponding variegated order is found
   in all languages in one way or another. [My comment: very true
   of chinese].  This gives me the hope that we can avoid the
   difficulty.  For though the characters are arbitrary, their use
   and connection have something that is not arbitrary, namely, a
   certain correspondence between characters and things, and
   certain relations among different characters expressing the same
   things.  And this correspondence or this relation is the ground
   of truth.  For it brings it about that whether we use these
   characters or others, the same thing always results, or at least
   something equivalent, that is, something corresponding in
   proportion always results.  This is true even if, as it happens,
   it is always necessary to use some characters. for thinking.

A. Well done! You have completely untangled yourself in an
   execllent way. And the analytic or arithmatic calculus confirms
   this.  For, with numbers, things will always come out the same
   way, whether one uses the decimal system or, as some have done,
   the duodecimal system. And if, after that, you use seeds or other
   countable things to show what you explained in a different way
   using the calculi, it will always come out the same.  This is
   also true in analysis, even though using different characters,
   different properties of things appear more easily.  But the basis
   of TRUTH IS ALWAYS IN THE VERY ARRANGEMENT OF CHARACTERS.  For
   example, if you call 'a ** 2' the square of 'a', then by taking
   'b + c' for 'a', you will have as the square '+ b ** 2 + c ** 2
   +2bc.'  Or, by taking 'd - e' for 'a', you will have the
   square '+ d ** 2 + e ** 2 - 2de.'  In the prior case we express
   the relation of the whole 'a' to it's parts 'b' and 'c', and in
   the latter case we express the relation of the part 'a' to the
   whole 'd' and to 'e', that which is in 'd' over and above 'a'.
   However, by substituting, it is obvious that it always comes
   to the same thing.  You see that, by whatever decision the
   characters are chosen, as long as a certain order and measure
   is observed in their use, everything will always agree.
   Therefore, although truths necessarily presuppose some characters,
   indeed, sometimes they deal with characters themselves, truths
   don't consist in what is arbitrary in the characters, but in
   what is invariant in them, namely, in the realtion they have
   to things.  And it is always true, independent of any decision
   of ours, that if, given such and such characters, such and such
   reasoning will succeed, then it will likewise succeed given
   others whose relation to former ones is known; however, the
   reasoning preserves a relation to the former ones that results
   from the relation among the characters.  This is something
   obvious from substituting and comparing.
--
End.
--

Will gladly discuss via email.

gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) (01/07/90)

daryl@oravax.UUCP (Steven Daryl McCullough) writes:
==========
[...]

What is the difference between a ``pattern'' produced by physical
entities that is not the entities themselves, and a non-physical
mind-stuff?  Certainly a pattern of organization does not produce new
physical entities that did not previously exist, so the pattern must
be non-physical.  So ``pattern'' (in the sense you are using it) and
``mind-stuff'' in Penrose's sense seem to me to be two names for the
same thing.

Besides this, I am a little unclear about what a pattern is apart from
the mind of the observer, and how one decides which patterns qualify
as being intelligent.  I remember seeing some joke about patterns --
what is the next number in the sequence 2 4 8 16 ...  I think the
answer was 31, because there is some quartic polynomial that generates
it and polynomials are less complex than exponentials!  The point is
that patterns are things we project onto the world to make sense of
it.

I personally don't want to restrict the phenomenon of consciousness to
a purely physical basis.  However, the point is that many proponents
of strong AI argue this way: "Can machines think?  Sure, we are
machines and we think!", meaning that we are the sum total of the
physical processes going on inside of us.  Searle's argument indicates
that either the Turing test is not an adequate indicator of
understanding (because there is no physical entity doing the
understanding), or that there is some non-physical entity that is
actually doing the understanding.

-Fred Gilham    gilham@csl.sri.com

utility@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Ronald BODKIN) (01/09/90)

In article <GILHAM.90Jan6103615@cassius.csl.sri.com> gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) writes:
>What is the difference between a ``pattern'' produced by physical
>entities that is not the entities themselves, and a non-physical
>mind-stuff?  Certainly a pattern of organization does not produce new
>physical entities that did not previously exist, so the pattern must
>be non-physical.  So ``pattern'' (in the sense you are using it) and
>``mind-stuff'' in Penrose's sense seem to me to be two names for the
>same thing.
	This, of course, gets into a very old philosophical argument
about the nature of universals.  When Aristotle s id form is embedded
in matter, did he become a dualist?  In many people's view, he refuted
the dualism of Plato by this concept.  One can assert that pattern
is either:
1) a tool used to simplify the immense complexity of the universe
(e.g. it is really incorrect to say a car stopped when you pushed the
break, the thing which made the car stop was no more and no less than
the quantum (and sub-quantum) level interactions of everything in the
universe within the distance of the speed of light over the given
period of the event, and the initial probability distributions
in the universe, but this needs simplification).
2) somehow more real yet not a stuff
	As best I recall, the most extreme view (there isn't pattern
at all, and when you say the word the meaning ends at "pattern") is
called nominalism, while there are a number of intermediate views
before postulating an ontological status for pattern (as mind-stuff).
I would say that pattern has an epistemological status, in that it
is perceived by minds, and if there is a potential for any mind
or anything which can "think" to discover it, it exists, but that
pattern is not ontological (i.e. essentially part of the nature of
being) -- so that in the universe after energy death there is no
pattern.  So this is why one can speak of pattern and yet not be
peaking of a mind-stuff, since that DOES postulate a somewhat more
"concrete" reality for that stuff.
		Ron

dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) (01/09/90)

In article <1933@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> utility@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Ronald BODKIN) writes:
|One can assert that pattern is either:
|1) a tool used to simplify the immense complexity of the universe

Yes.

|(e.g. it is really incorrect to say a car stopped when you pushed the
|break, the thing which made the car stop was no more and no less than
|the quantum (and sub-quantum) level interactions of everything in the
|universe within the distance of the speed of light over the given
|period of the event, and the initial probability distributions
|in the universe, but this needs simplification).

A more thoroughgoing application of this approach of course also
unreifies the car, quantum mechanics and everything else, including
language, communication and entities such as ourselves.  Once we realise
this, we can also resume the discussion if we choose!

-David West        dhw@iti.org

jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (01/10/90)

In article <7661@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> pluto@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Mark E. P. Plutowski) writes:
>I'm sorry to belabor the point, but I still am not convinced after
>months of patiently following this argument.  What follows is not
>a counter, but rather is intended to be an honest desire to clarify
>my 'understanding' of the concept to a level enabling me to not
>only say I understand, but prove it to some objective logician.

I think you're asking for too much.  There are few, if any, things
outside mathematics that could be proved to an objective logician.

>We believe Searle-in-the-box when he claims to not-understand.

We don't have to believe him.  But I think you know what it would
normally mean to say you understand Chinese.  (I know that I don't
understand Chinese, for example, and I don't need to be able to
articulate a definition of "understand" to know this.  I suspect
you are in a similar position.)  Now suppose you start doing the
things one does in the Chinese Room.  You might well think that
the room (ie, the system) understood Chinese, and that you had some
part in it.  But would you really be in doubt about whether your
prior claim not to understand Chinese was still correct?  I'm
pretty sure that running the Chinese Room wouldn't cause _me_ to
understand Chinese, at least not right away.

The whole point of the C.R., I think, is to take advantage of our
admittedly informal and imprecise notion of "understand Chinese".
That way, the whole question of what "understanding" in general
really means doesn't have to come up right away.  The system reply
(ie, "the system understands") aims to make the question of whether
the person in the room understands Chinese irrelevant, thus forcing
us back to the more general, difficult questions about understanding.
Searle tries to get back to whether the person understands by his
argument about internalizing the system.

In short, Searle is trying throughout to avoid getting tangled up in
the definition game and other philosophical problems.  Well, I don't
know if this was really an aim on his part, but I do think it's a good
way to look at it.  Dennett calls Searle's C.R. argument an "intuition
pump", and I think that's a good term for it.  It isn't meant to be a
water-tight logical argument.  Turing took a similar approach in his
famous "test": he wanted to get at the question "can a machine think?"
in a way that didn't require answers to all kinds of difficult or
controversial issues.

>Why?  Don't we have an objective definition of "understanding?"

Probably not.

>Why don't we have an objective definition of understanding?

It's too hard.

Suppose Searle had given a definition.  [I'm supposing he didn't
give one, but maybe he did.  I haven't looked at his _Intentionality_
or the like for a while.]  Think of all the ways it could go wrong.
For example, he has to make sure that the definition doesn't beg the
question by automatically making one or another answer true.  Other
people might accuse him of that anyway.  After all, no one has to
accept _Searle's_ definition.  It's always open to argue the
"understanding" ought to be defined some other way and that defining
it Searle's way makes it too hard for machines.

A definition might be useful for getting a better idea of what
Searle's talking about, but I don't think a dispute about how
"understanding" should be defined (a definition game) will tell us
what we want to know about machines.  There's a danger that it would
end up being a debate about whether we should call what computers do
"understanding" rather than about whether computers are interestingly
different from humans.

>Why do we have to ask Searle whether or not he understands, in order
>to ourselves decide whether or not he understands?

We don't.  Imagine yourself in his place.  You don't have to agree
with his answer, although (as I argued above) I think you would.
Maybe you agree with him that far (ie, that the person in the Room
doesn't understand Chinese), but still think he hasn't properly
answered the systems reply.  Or maybe for you the Chinese Room just
doesn't convince at all.

>How can a proof be based upon a definition which is subjective to
>an element of the proof itself?

It doesn't aim to prove but to convince.  It isn't a proof.

>If we ask the Chinese Room itself whether it understands,
>(in Chinese, of course, so Searle-in-the-box will not understand
>the query) and by some fluke in the rules it somehow answers "Yes"
>... Now what?  Why not believe the box's reply?

That's "the system understands" again.  We don't have to believe the
box any more than we have to believe Searle.  For example, we might
have good reason to decide the box was "faking it".  I'm not sure what
such a good reason would be, but here's something that might do it.
Suppose we start up the box for the very first time and ask "what were
you doing yesterday?" and it starts telling us all kinds of things
that we know it didn't do at all.

>I am not biased against Searle's basic point: (IMHO)
>that the implementation matters.  I just don't see the logic
>behind the counter to the systems reply, and would like to
>hear it expressed in objective terms.

I don't find Searle's argument that he could internalize the rules,
etc., so that the system was inside him, and still not understand
all that convincing.  He's still looking at the system from the CPU's
point of view (so to speak), which doesn't seem like the right place
to see any understanding that might be taking place.

In any case, what I think Searle's Chinese Room example indicates is
not so much that no understanding is taking place as that it might not
be taking place.  Behavior isn't enough evidence for understanding on
its own.  Whether executing the right program is all there is to
understanding (the "strong ai" position Searle is trying to refute)
is, in my view, still an open question.

>Prove to me the Chinese Room does not understand, without
>resorting to asking Searle-inside whether (or not) he does.

Note that Searle does have another argument, namely the one about
syntax not being sufficient for semantics.

Jeff Dalton,                      JANET: J.Dalton@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,        ARPA:  J.Dalton%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.             UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!J.Dalton

gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) (01/10/90)

Well, it seems as if we've gotten to the point where we agree that
something other than just the physical entity (entities) in the
Chinese room are doing the understanding.  The consensus seems to be
that some ``pattern'' is doing the understanding.  The question comes
down to what a pattern is.

To me the problem seems to be that a pattern doesn't exist without
some mind to perceive it.  This is what I think Ronald Bodkin is
saying in this quotation:

``I would say that pattern has an epistemological status, in that it
is perceived by minds, and if there is a potential for any mind or
anything which can "think" to discover it, it exists, but that pattern
is not ontological (i.e. essentially part of the nature of being) --
so that in the universe after energy death there is no pattern.''

He then goes on to say:

``So this is why one can speak of pattern and yet not be speaking of a
mind-stuff, since that DOES postulate a somewhat more "concrete"
reality for that stuff.''

The alternatives seem to be that either a pattern has some independent
existence of its own (concrete reality) or a mind is necessary to
perceive it.  On the one hand, I say we have dualism; on the other
hand, I say we have the ``hermeneutical hall of mirrors'', where we
project our own thought processes onto something in the outside world.

-Fred Gilham   gilham@csl.sri.com

jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Jeff Dalton) (01/10/90)

In article <GILHAM.90Jan5125405@cassius.csl.sri.com> gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) writes:
>If we assume, even so, that there is a ``system'' that understands,
>then Penrose, in THE EMPEROR'S NEW MIND, has pointed out that this is
>equivalent to postulating a ``mind-stuff'' apart from the physical
>entities that exist.  This is known as dualism and most AI folk seem
>to want to avoid such a viewpoint.

It's more like functionalism.  (BTW, I'd be interested in comments on
Putnam's fairly recent book.  Unfortunately, I've forgotten the title.
MIT Press, though.)

The system supposition is not that the system is some entity made of
"mind stuff" that understands.  The idea is, roughly, that a mind
corresponds to an executing program.  Having more than one around is
no more dualistic than having more than one process on a 68k.  How
does Penrose know that Searle can't be the machine that's executing
the program?  That certainly seems to be what he's doing after he's
internalized the Chinese Room.

utility@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Ronald BODKIN) (01/11/90)

In article <GILHAM.90Jan9100839@cassius.csl.sri.com> gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) writes:
>The alternatives seem to be that either a pattern has some independent
>existence of its own (concrete reality) or a mind is necessary to
>perceive it.  On the one hand, I say we have dualism; on the other
>hand, I say we have the ``hermeneutical hall of mirrors'', where we
>project our own thought processes onto something in the outside world.
	I think that it may be that these positions are not really
as you claim.  I would submit that the word "independent" is extremely
vague.  Aristotle's view of form/pattern is about the same as mine,
both try to avoid postulating a SEPARATE existence for patternyet
claim that there is some kind of non-subjective nature to it.  I
don't really think its the case that my epistemology projects thought
processes onto reality, in that it is ultimately the case that the
though the pattern is embedded in particular minds its a universal
quantity, which ALL minds (or potential minds) can experience.
	But there is certainly nothing like a definitively correct
epistemology out there, and its a problem that has occupied philosophy
from its dawn until this century.  And the interesting thing is that
computer scientists are forced to demonstrate these claims a bit more
explicitly than other philosophers were.
			Ron

cam@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) (01/16/90)

In article <GILHAM.90Jan9100839@cassius.csl.sri.com> gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) writes:

>The consensus seems to be that some ``pattern'' is doing the understanding.

>The alternatives seem to be that either a pattern has some independent
>existence of its own (concrete reality) or a mind is necessary to
>perceive it.  On the one hand, I say we have dualism; on the other
>hand, I say we have the ``hermeneutical hall of mirrors'', where we
>project our own thought processes onto something in the outside world.

Ok. So how do you explain mathematics, or even humble numbers, without
recourse to dualism or the hermeneutic hall of mirrors?
--
Chris Malcolm    cam@uk.ac.ed.aipna   031 667 1011 x2550
Department of Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh University

kp@uts.amdahl.com (Ken Presting) (01/17/90)

In article <1839@aipna.ed.ac.uk> cam@aipna.ed.ac.uk (Chris Malcolm) writes:
>In article <GILHAM.90Jan9100839@cassius.csl.sri.com> gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham) writes:
>
>>The consensus seems to be that some ``pattern'' is doing the understanding.

This is a very fragile consensus, if it exists at all.

>>The alternatives seem to be that either a pattern has some independent
>>existence of its own (concrete reality) or a mind is necessary to
>>perceive it.  On the one hand, I say we have dualism; on the other
>>hand, I say we have the ``hermeneutical hall of mirrors'', where we
>>project our own thought processes onto something in the outside world.
>
>Ok. So how do you explain mathematics, or even humble numbers, without
>recourse to dualism or the hermeneutic hall of mirrors?

The traditional solution to this problem goes all the way back to
Aristotle.  Patterns are explained as properties, which exist only as
attributes of objects.  Thus squareness exists only in square objects.
If no objects in the world are perfectly square, then perfect squareness
does not exist, at least not in this world.  The existence of other worlds
is up for grabs.

Numbers get a similar treatment.  Mathematics as a whole is treated as a
language for describing patterns.

Followups to sci.philosophy.tech, please.