[comp.ai] Are there extensions to Rete to allow arbitrary matching of lists?

mull@hri.uucp (02/08/90)

The normal Rete pattern matching algorithm is meant to match a flat
(list of atoms) pattern against flat working memory elements.  We would
like to know if the Rete algorithm can be extended to handle arbitrary
lists for both wme's and patterns where the pattern could have match
variables at arbitrary places in its list structure.  We would like
to do this without resorting to unification.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Chris Mullendore	hri!mull@BBN.COM	or	mull@hri.uucp
Horizon Research, Inc.
Waltham, Mass.

raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Eric A. Raymond) (02/08/90)

mull@hri.uucp writes:
>The normal Rete pattern matching algorithm is meant to match a flat
>(list of atoms) pattern against flat working memory elements.  We would
>like to know if the Rete algorithm can be extended to handle arbitrary
>lists for both wme's and patterns where the pattern could have match
>variables at arbitrary places in its list structure.  We would like
>to do this without resorting to unification.

ART (Inference) does this to a limited degree.  I would expect Mercury
(AI Technologies ???) to do the same (it is like ART on top of CLOS).

--
Eric A. Raymond  (raymond@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov)
G7 C7 G7 G#7 G7 G+13 C7 GM7 Am7 Bm7 Bd7 Am7 C7 Do13 G7 C7 G7 D+13: Elmore James