[comp.ai] quantum mechanics

cutrell@cogsci.ucsd.EDU (Doug Cutrell) (03/16/90)

In article <2475@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca> utility@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca
(Ronald BODKIN) writes:
>I am very curious as to whether or not current physics does or
>does not describe functions which are turing computable...

	I know of two possible ideas from modern physics that may
be of interest:
1) Truly non-computable equations:  the equations of special
relativistic quantum mechanics can be considered to do a
sum over all possible pathways for events (the "Feynman
integral").  The extension to general relativity would call for a
sum over all possible space-time manifolds.  It is known that
the class of all four dimensional manifolds is not recursively
enumerable (this is ONLY true for four dimensions).  Therefore
this sum would be formally non-computable. It is therefore
possible that the equations of the "GUT" covering both QM and
gravity are formally non-computable.

2.)Penrose has suggested that the crystal growth of pseudo-random
crystals may violate Church's hypothesis.  The growth of such
crystals can proceed only via global interactions over the entire
crystal -- each successive cell must know about all of the
rest of the crystal.  Penrose suggests that this may proceed
via a quantum "non-deterministic" computation involving the
collapse of the wave function describing the superposition
of all possible crystal structures.  It has been a point of contention

as to whether such crystals are truly perfect non-periodic
lattices, or simply disordered approximations to them.  Recent
atomic tunneling microscopy of these crystals supports the former --
the lattices appear to be in perfect non-periodic tiling.  This may
represent the first example of a physical phenomena
which computes an exponentially complex function with linear or
better analog resources.

While I agree that this discussion has strayed afield of the
AI mainstream, these results are still of relevance to the
computational scientist.  Although such matters are not
relevant to present day computational possibilities, it is
impossible to say how far away applications may be.
Doug Cutrell
Dept. of Cog. Sci. D-015
UCSD
La Jolla, CA 92093