[comp.ai] AI in Agriculture

heldeib@gmu90x.gmu.edu (Hany Eldeib) (03/15/90)

I am looking for info on working expert systems in the area of agriculture.
Info on any applications would be appreciated, but the emphasis is on systems
that are actually used as opposed to academic prototypes. Any expert systems
used "on location" in the field are of particular interest. For example if
someone knows of applications of expert systems in Citrus fruit management in
a Kibbutz that would be perfect. Any pointers would be appreciated though.

Hany K. Eldeib
Department of Electrical
and Computer Engineering
George Mason University
4400 University Dr.
Fairfax, VA 22030

Bitnet: heldeib@gmuvax
Internet: heldeib@gmuvax.gmu.edu
UUCP:   uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!heldeib

mgv@usceast.UUCP (Marco Valtorta) (03/16/90)

In article <2611@gmu90x.gmu.edu> heldeib@gmu90x.gmu.edu (Hany Eldeib) writes:
>I am looking for info on working expert systems in the area of agriculture.
>Info on any applications would be appreciated, but the emphasis is on systems
>that are actually used as opposed to academic prototypes. Any expert systems
>used "on location" in the field are of particular interest. For example if
>someone knows of applications of expert systems in Citrus fruit management in
>a Kibbutz that would be perfect. Any pointers would be appreciated though.
>
>Hany K. Eldeib
You may want to contact some of the participants in the INSTIL
project of ESPRIT (P1063).  INSTIL was the only machine learning
project in the first phase of ESPRIT.  They used an expert system for tomato
plant diagnosis as their "demonstrator."  An early version of that expert
system, called TOM, was deployed.  (The project then tried to build
a better version using machine learning techniques--something like
Michalski's soybean experiment ten years ago, but with different
machine learning techniques.)  The prime contractor for INSTIL
was GEC-Marconi, but much of the work on tomatoes was done in
France.  Here is a contact address:
P.D. Sizer
GEC Research Labs
Software Research Division
West Hanningfield Road
Great Barrow, Chelmsford CM2 8HN
United Kingdom
Tel.: (44)(245)73331 ext.3241
tlx.: 995016 GEBRES G

I also remember a conference on AI in agriculture held in Spain in 1987 or 1988,
but I do not have any records of it.

I would appreciate your posting of a summary of replies to your queries.

Good luck!

Marco Valtorta			usenet: ...!ncrcae!usceast!mgv
Department of Computer Science	internet: mgv@cs.scarolina.edu
University of South Carolina	tel.: (1)(803)777-4641
Columbia, SC 29208		tlx: 805038 USC
U.S.A.				fax: (1)(803)777-3065
usenet from Europe: ...!mcvax!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!usceast!mgv