[comp.ai] NEGMAX question

gros1530@fredonia.UUCP (Dan Gross) (03/21/90)

	In the AI course I'm currently enrolled in, we recently discussed
Game Theory.  When we hit Knuth's and Moore's NEGMAX procedure, my other-
wise scholarly professor balked.  Unfortunately the text we are using
is rather cryptic on this topic, so I bring my question here...
	Is the NEGMAX procedure meant to to work with 1,0,-1 evaluation
ONLY, or can it work with any evaluation with -# for loss and +# for win?
In other words, will it work if the terminal nodes are something besides the
basic -1,0,1 (ex. -2.5 -.97 .98 .34 -1.3)?
						Just curious,
						--Dan Gross

--
Dan Gross                                      fredonia!gros1530@cs.buffalo.edu
430 Washington Ave.          UUCP:...{ucbvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!fredonia!gros1530

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (03/22/90)

In article <1778@fredonia.UUCP> fredonia!gros1530@cs.buffalo.edu (Dan Gross)
writes:
>	Is the NEGMAX procedure meant to to work with 1,0,-1 evaluation
>ONLY, or can it work with any evaluation with -# for loss and +# for win?
>In other words, will it work if the terminal nodes are something besides the
>basic -1,0,1 (ex. -2.5 -.97 .98 .34 -1.3)?

Yes, it works fine with continuous evaluations.  The difference between it and
MiniMax is minimal; you just flip the signs on every other ply.  It just comes
down to which is easier to code, or runs faster.