[comp.ai] Checkers Heuristics

tlarson@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ted E. Bear) (04/11/90)

               I am looking for a good Heuristic for the game
of checkers.  Have any suggestions?

                  - Ted Larson
                    tlarson@polyslo.calpoly.edu

bwbe_c52@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Brent Benson) (04/11/90)

In article <2622663c.f42@petunia.CalPoly.EDU> tlarson@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
(Ted E. Bear) writes:

>               I am looking for a good Heuristic for the game
>of checkers.  Have any suggestions?
>
>                  - Ted Larson
>                    tlarson@polyslo.calpoly.edu

I'm not sure if you want this much information, but there is a great
paper by A. L. Samuel called `Some Studies in Machine Learning Using
the Game of Checkers' if you can get a hold of it.

His checker playing program started out with some basic information
and actually learned its own heuristics by playing itself and other,
human players.  I think that he actually discusses some of the juicier
things that the program picks up about checkers.  (He did all of this
in the 50s !!).

Here's the reference that I find (at the back of S.L. Tanimoto, ch.8):

Samuel, A. L. 1963.  Some studies in machine learning using the game
of checkers.  In Feigenbaum, E. A. and Feldman, J. (eds), _Computers_
_and_Thought_.  New York: McGraw-Hill, pp71-105.

-Brent
--
| |_  ___  ___  __  _| |_  Brent Benson - University of Rochester
|  .\|  _\/ ._\|  \|_   _| e-mail: bwbe_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
|___/|_|  \___/|_|_| |_|       ..!rochester!ur-cc!bwbe_ltd