[comp.ai] Chaos and AI

park@usceast.UUCP (Kihong Park) (03/15/90)

In article <6925@cps3xx.UUCP> leekin@frith.egr.msu.edu () writes:
>How does Chaos related to AI disciplines such as Connectionism?

There was some recent discussion concerning this topic on comp.ai.neural-nets.
Some notes on this issue:
	It seems that from a physiological standpoint of view, chaotic
neural activity patterns might be of great interest. But, apart from that,
there is this more general aspect. If one has a system consisting of simple,
homogeneous elements arranged according to some connectivity pattern
(possibly local), then the time-evolution of the global configuration of
the system might very possibly be chaotic. In fact, the so-called class
3 cellular automata(Wolfram) are often of this kind.

	In many cases, the evolving pattern is so disorganized as to
escape polynomial-time prediction algorithms. This empirical observation
prompted Wolfram to suggest that they be used as pseudo-number generators.

	As to its impact in the design of intelligent systems, if one's
system is based upon a parallel, distributed substrate on which computations
are carried out, then it is to be expected that chaotic behavior will be
encountered. In some cases, this might be a useful feature, but in most
cases, it will be an unpleasant hinderence if not controlled well.

	Look at Hopfield nets for example. Fixed points and limit cycles
are the "desired" behavior patterns which can encode memories whereas
erratic behavior is not so. One final comment may be due: namely, it has
to be remembered that in any discrete, deterministic, finite system,
the system's behavior will eventually be periodic. But, before the period
is reached, the behavior pattern up to then might very well look
chaotic. And in case of neural nets where the effective connectivity is
variable, one is even less subject to the periodicity constraint. But,
again, I think it is the periodic aspect, and less the chaotic aspect
which will be most useful in the design of intelligent systems.

ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay "lock-on" $ingh - Indy Studies) (03/16/90)

In article <3142@usceast.UUCP> park@usceast.UUCP (Kihong Park) writes:

> In some cases, this might be a useful feature, but in most
>cases, it will be an unpleasant hinderence if not controlled well.

There was an article awhile back in Discover called "The Body Chaotic."
It mentioned that the EEGs of epileptics during a seizure become far
more periodic and regular as whole groups of neurons begin firing in
sync across the brain. A normal person's EEG shows little trace of
periodicity. It suggests that a nice chaotic "buzz" is the normal
state of affairs.

BTW, usually wherever there is chaos, fractals are lurking nearby. In the
excitement about chaos, fractals seem to have faded into the woodwork. Has
anyone seen or done work which tries to tie fractals, chaos, and NNs together
into a biologically plausible model? There was talk last year on the cybernetics
mailing list about calculating fractal dimensions of Purkinje cells, but
I haven't been able to send mail to those persons. Any pointers would
be appreciated.

--
"No one had the guts... uunnttiill nnooww..."
|-$anjay "lock [+] on" $ingh	ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu	N.A.R.C. ]I[-|

park@usceast.UUCP (Kihong Park) (03/16/90)

In article <1480@watserv1.waterloo.edu> ssingh@watserv1.waterloo.edu ($anjay "lock-on" $ingh - Indy Studies) writes:
>There was an article awhile back in Discover called "The Body Chaotic."
>It mentioned that the EEGs of epileptics during a seizure become far
>more periodic and regular as whole groups of neurons begin firing in
>sync across the brain. A normal person's EEG shows little trace of
>periodicity. It suggests that a nice chaotic "buzz" is the normal
>state of affairs.

This is an interesting valid point. But, remember when one is talking about
the dynamics of the brain itself, "periodicity" has to be interpreted in a
slightly different way.

The brain is a huge chunk of very many interacting modules rather than a
one-module entity. Even from a macroscopic viewpoint, physiologists have known
for a long time that different parts of the brain have distinguishable
functionalities. It is to be expected that within such discernible
macro-modules, many more micro-modules will exist.

If we assume, just for the sake of argument, that low-level modular structures
consist on the order of thousands of neurons, then these "elementary"
cohesive units may function abiding by the "periodicity principle". Of course,
the time interval within which this regularity manifests itself may very
well be rather short.

Such modules will interact in a complex fashion whereby one module's short-time
behavior will be a function of its surrounding modules. Hence, viewed from
"above", the emerging activity pattern(even subglobally), may be very complex.
Indeed, it would be exceptional if the global activity pattern of a system
composed of very many modules would show apparent regularity.

If the information processing done by the system is of a "simple" kind, then
global regularity may be the norm. But for complex automata such as the
brain, low-level, local regularity coupled with higher-level "irregularity"
is to be expected. We know Class 4 cellular automata(Wolfram) are capable
of universal computation. Empirical observation says that the time-evolution
of these machines shows "regular" local structures, but globally these local
regularities may interact in a complicated way.

Last argument: from an information-theoretic point-of-view, a system's global
behavior being apparently "patternful", i.e., easy to discern simple
organization principles, implies that the entropy of the system on the
average is low. Very low entropy systems cannot perform complex information
processing tasks. Of course, the other extreme is also detrimental.
For example, unimodular Hopfield nets are only good at memorizing things in a
context-sensitive fashion. Abstracted as CAs, they converge to fixed points
or limit cyles, and hence are low-entropy dynamical systems.

>BTW, usually wherever there is chaos, fractals are lurking nearby. In the
>excitement about chaos, fractals seem to have faded into the woodwork. Has
>anyone seen or done work which tries to tie fractals, chaos, and NNs together
>into a biologically plausible model?

Indeed, chaos and fractals are close-knit subjects. The dynamics of chaotic
systems tend to topologically equal cantor sets, a fractal object. But, this
may be beside the point when talking about the relation between chaos and
neural nets. I have heard that astronomers have identified fractal distributions
in the universe. Are fractal distributions or connectivity patterns
observable in the brain?

sandyz@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Sandy Zinn) (03/20/90)

In article <3147@usceast.UUCP>, park@usceast.UUCP (Kihong Park) writes:
> Indeed, chaos and fractals are close-knit subjects.
> Are fractal distributions or connectivity patterns
> observable in the brain?

Here's an excerpt from an article written by neurophysiologist Karl Pribram
way back in *1959* (!), before fractals were even "invented":

  The effect of continued intrinsic sector activity will, according
  to this model, result in a sequence of patterns of information
  (partitions) of increasing complexity, which in turn allow more
  and more precise specification of particular elements...more and
  more information can be conveyed by any given input.  As a result,
  the organism's differentiative behavior remains invariant under a
  progressively narrower range of systems of *transformations* of
  the input -- differentiations become more absolute.

I'm no mathematician, but this sounds like fractals to me.

@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    Sandra Zinn              |   "The squirming facts
    (yep these are my ideas  |      exceed the squamous mind"
     they only own my kybd)  |         -- Wallace Stevens

park@usceast.cs.scarolina.edu (Kihong Park) (03/22/90)

In article <350@ntpdvp1.UUCP> sandyz@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Sandy Zinn) writes:
 Here's an excerpt from an article written by neurophysiologist Karl Pribram
 way back in *1959* (!), before fractals were even "invented":

   The effect of continued intrinsic sector activity will, according
   to this model, result in a sequence of patterns of information
   (partitions) of increasing complexity, which in turn allow more
   and more precise specification of particular elements...more and
   more information can be conveyed by any given input.  As a result,
   the organism's differentiative behavior remains invariant under a
   progressively narrower range of systems of *transformations* of
   the input -- differentiations become more absolute.

 I'm no mathematician, but this sounds like fractals to me.

Could you cite the reference where you got the excerpt from, please?
Maybe it's just me, but this single excerpt does not directly indicate to
me a relation to fractals. It would be nice if you could "explain" your
understanding of the paragraph in a few sentences. Thanks.

sandyz@ntpdvp1.UUCP (Sandy Zinn) (04/12/90)

 (Kihong Park) writes:
> Well, my earlier postings indicated the possible relation between chaotic
> and regular systems to "complex" information processing systems of which
> "intelligent" systems are one genre. Thus, a possible connection of chaos to
> "intelligent" systems was suggested at a systems level.

Did you post an article with a full explanation of this?  I can't quite
visualize what you're suggesting, but I'm intrigued.  I would appreciate
a copy of such an article, or could you take the time to expand this, if
you haven't yet?  Thanks.