[comp.ai] Cognitive Science Textbooks wanted

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) (04/13/90)

I would like to solicit suggestions from any and all who have textbook
recommendations for a beginning course in cognitive science.

I am team-teaching a course with the chair of the philosophy dept. here
for the second time this coming fall.  The first time through we used
Haugeland's *AI: The Very Idea* as an introduction to the subject, and
then read articles from his *Mind Design* anthology, plus articles we
had copied on an ad hoc basis.

I would like to see an introduction to the subject as detailed as AI:TVI
but a little more balanced.  Haugeland's adherence to the classical
paradigm, with little or no mention of the connectionist contribution to
the subject, tends to leave students with the wrong impression.  Moreover,
we found, for similar reasons, that we used only a small proportion of the
articles in the mind design anthology.

What I would like to see is an introduction which is as detailed as Haugeland's
text, but which introduces both approaches as well as the debate now raging
between classicists and connectionists.

Any one who is teaching a similar course, or who might offer us suggestions,
is invited to respond by e-mail as soon as possible.

I appreciate in advance any help you might give....
james lee peterson				petersja@handel.cs.colostate.edu
dept. of computer science
colorado state university		"Some ignorance is invincible."
ft. collins, colorado 80523

aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman) (04/14/90)

petersja@debussy.cs.colostate.edu (james peterson) writes:

> Date: 13 Apr 90 16:58:10 GMT
> I would like to solicit suggestions from any and all who have textbook
> recommendations for a beginning course in cognitive science.

> I would like to see an introduction to the subject as detailed as AI:TVI
> but a little more balanced.
> What I would like to see is an introduction which is as detailed as Haugeland's
> text, but which introduces both approaches as well as the debate now raging
> between classicists and connectionists.

There is a book that arose out of our teaching AI to beginners in the
School of Cognitive and Computing sciences at Sussex, where we have
active teaching and research in both connectionist and
non-connectionist AI. The book is

Sharples, M. Hogg, D. Hutchison,C. Torrance,S, Young,D.
Computers and Thought: a practical introduction to Artificial Intelligence
MIT Press 1989.

It introduces various areas of AI mainly from the point of view of
cognitive science (as opposed to engineering). It includes illustrations
of AI techniques using Pop-11, a lisp-like language with a more readable
pascal-like syntax.

Aaron Sloman