[comp.ai] Neural Nets that are WORKING

sire@srv.PacBell.COM (Sheldon Rothenburg) (05/30/90)

In article <1990May21.165517.29866@hri.com>, rolandi@sparc9.hri.com (Walter Rolandi) writes:

> How many neural nets are actually in production, regardless of application,
> either in medicine, finance, manufacturing, ---anything?
> Are folks really applying neural nets in any profitable way?

I didn't save the poster's comment, but someone referred to an SAIC
developed, neural network based baggage checker as a successful application
of neural nets. It does use neural nets to analyze the results
of gamma ray bombardment of the air traveller's luggage. It looks for
evidence of minute quantities of "escaping" nitrogen which fit the
profile of plastic explosives.

The NY Times discussed the commercial viability of this system in a
recent business technology section. It was mandated last year for
purchase and installation at 40 US Airports by the FAA. There has been
no compliance. The airlines and the airports do not want to foot the bill
for these van-sized, $1M units. The units would require passengers to
wait longer and airports are frequently short of space. There is reportedly
also the issue of an unacceptable number of false positives. The most
egregious common error was mistaking the nitrogen release from women's
high heel shoes for plastic explosives. This has allegedly been rectified.

Six units were purchased by the US Government. They are the only purchasers
so far. The machines are in use in London's Heathrow, New York's Kennedy,
and one other airport (I think it was Miami's).

So---this is not an unqualified success. My understanding is that much of
the successes are in classification types of domains (signal detection)
with the kind of military application that would not be widely
publicized. Note who funds this research, largely DARPA, ONR etc.

Whew! This was longer than I expected. I hope it was helpful.

Shelley

te

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (06/06/90)

sire@srv.PacBell.COM (Sheldon Rothenburg) wrote:
> rolandi@sparc9.hri.com (Walter Rolandi) writes:

> > Are folks really applying neural nets in any profitable way?

> I didn't save the poster's comment, but someone referred to an SAIC
> developed, neural network based baggage checker as a successful application
> of neural nets. It does use neural nets to analyze the results
> of gamma ray bombardment of the air traveller's luggage. It looks for
> evidence of minute quantities of "escaping" nitrogen which fit the
> profile of plastic explosives. [...]

> The machines are in use in London's Heathrow [...]

There was a brief flurry of newspaper headlines two weeks ago about an
expensive plastic-explosive detector in use at Heathrow that had turned out
to be incapable of detecting Semtex except in multi-kilogram quantities
(many times the amount needed to destroy an aircraft).  The airport was
getting rid of it.  Do we have the same machine?

--
--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6044 work  041 556 1878 home