[comp.ai] MODEL BASED DIAGNOSTIC EXPERT SYSTEM

cds@ziggy.EDU (Cindy Sarmiento) (07/04/90)

This is a call for help...

I am looking for advice or comments from anyone who has
experience in developing expert systems using model based reasoning
or knowledge representation.

I am currently developing a medical diagnostic expert system and would
like to use model based reasoning. I intend to use either an object-oriented
ES shell like KAPPA from IntelliCorp or just an object-oriented language
like C++, Smalltalk or Actor.

If you have experience or comments on this area, please respond by email.
All replies will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Cindy Sarmiento
Univ. of South Florida (in Tampa, not Miami as many believe)

sticklen@cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) (07/04/90)

From article <1357@ziggy.EDU>, by cds@ziggy.EDU (Cindy Sarmiento):
> This is a call for help...
>
> I am looking for advice or comments from anyone who has
> experience in developing expert systems using model based reasoning
> or knowledge representation.
>
> I am currently developing a medical diagnostic expert system and would
> like to use model based reasoning. I intend to use either an object-oriented
> ES shell like KAPPA from IntelliCorp or just an object-oriented language
> like C++, Smalltalk or Actor.
>
> If you have experience or comments on this area, please respond by email.
> All replies will be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cindy Sarmiento
> Univ. of South Florida (in Tampa, not Miami as many believe)

cindy,
  my mailer does not seem to know the name of your host - ie, my
e-mail got bumped. so i'll hope you see this answer.

cindy,
  there are a couple of places you might look. its a little
hard to know how to advise you without knowing more of
what kind of models you want to build. but...

casnet by kulikowski was one of the earliest approaches in medicine
that you might want to call model based. you can find descriptions of it
in almost any book on knowledge based systems.

ramesh patil did work in the early 80's on a system called
ABEL which was diagnostic in the area of acid-base-electrolyte
problems. it basically was a multi layered causal net which
he navigated via a set of defined "operators" which would
traverse the three fixed levels of his system. the major drawback
was that the reasoner required a starting place in the net
that was "reasonable". you can find a reasonable write up of
ABEL in the book "Readings in Medical AI" editted by Clancey and
Shortliffe.

another early (mid-80's) thing for you to look at is the CADUCEUS
system which was from pople and meyers. it also had the flavor
or a causal net, but it used the causal net in a wholly differnt
way as a kind of preprocessor for abductive problem solving.

i did a more recent work (late 80's) which included a diagnostic
compiled level system that interacted with a physiological model
represented as a "functional representation" of a thin slice of the
human body immune system (actually, the subsystem called the
complement system). a good write up of this work is in
Knowledge Acuqisition, Volume 1.

there is an exploding literature on model based reasoning, but very
little of it is in the medical area. you should look at the compilation
of papers on naive physics by  and deKleer. (i can't remember
the name of the book, but you should have no problem finding it with
deKleer's name.) the reading there include (i think) one paper by
kuipers who has applied hard core naive physics ideas in the medial area.
(his domain was rhenal failure if i remember right.)

good luck. its a very interesting area to be working it.

        ---jon---

dredick@bbn.com (Barry Kort) (07/05/90)

In article <1357@ziggy.EDU> cds@ziggy.EDU (Cindy Sarmiento) writes:
->I am looking for advice or comments from anyone who has
->experience in developing expert systems using model based reasoning
->or knowledge representation.

->I am currently developing a medical diagnostic expert system and would
->like to use model based reasoning. I intend to use either an object-oriented
->ES shell like KAPPA from IntelliCorp or just an object-oriented language
->like C++, Smalltalk or Actor.

->If you have experience or comments on this area, please respond by email.
->All replies will be gratefully received.

Cindy, your return E-mail address is incomplete, so I am posting my reply...

I have used Smalltalk.  Model-based reasoning is pushing the state of
the art.  Still, I have built some models in Smalltalk, and used them
to evaluate diagnostic reasoning techniques.  Please E-mail me for
more information.

Barry Kort                       bkort@bbn.com
Visiting Scientist
BBN Labs

igor@ai-vie.UUCP (Igor Mozetic) (07/05/90)

In article <1990Jul4.002349.8729@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> sticklen@cps.msu.edu (Jon Sticklen) writes:
>From article <1357@ziggy.EDU>, by cds@ziggy.EDU (Cindy Sarmiento):
>
>> I am looking for advice or comments from anyone who has
>> experience in developing expert systems using model based reasoning
>> or knowledge representation.
>
>there is an exploding literature on model based reasoning, but very
>little of it is in the medical area. you should look at the compilation

An example of a medical model-based expert system is KARDIO, for
ECG diagnosis of cardiac arrhythmias:

Bratko, I., Mozetic, I., Lavrac, N. KARDIO: A Study in Deep and
Qualitative Knowledge for Expert Systems. The MIT Press, 1989.

It incorporates a deep model of the heart which simulates its
electrical activity, represents the model at several levels of
abstraction, and automatically derives an efficient, surface
diagnostic rule-base. More recent papers and core parts of the
system (written in Prolog) are available (free-of-charge) from:

Dr. Igor Mozetic
Austrian Research Institute for   igor@ai-vie.uucp           (Europe)
Artificial Intelligence           igor%ai-vie.uucp@uunet.uu.net (USA)
Schottengasse 3                   Fax:   (+43 1) 630-652
A-1010 Vienna, Austria            Phone: (+43 1) 533-6112

ntm1169@dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) (07/05/90)

From article <1357@ziggy.EDU>, by cds@ziggy.EDU (Cindy Sarmiento):
> This is a call for help...
>
> I am looking for advice or comments from anyone who has
> experience in developing expert systems using model based reasoning
> or knowledge representation.

   A couple shells are available for model-based reasoning:
      IDEA from AI Squared Inc.  508-250-4000

      POINTER from ARINC Research Corp.   301-266-4650

   I have not worked with either product, but I have seen a demo of an
   application done with POINTER and was impressed with its execution speed.
   Some model based reasoning schemes execute so slowly that it would be
   a knockout factor for the application from the user interface/friendliness
   viewpoint.

--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002

moskowit@paul.rutgers.edu (Len Moskowitz) (07/07/90)

cds@ziggy.EDU (Cindy Sarmiento) writes:

> This is a call for help...
>
> I am looking for advice or comments from anyone who has
> experience in developing expert systems using model based reasoning
> or knowledge representation.

Do check out the proceedings of the model-based reasoning workshops
held at the past few AAAIs and IJCAIs.