[comp.ai] Artificial Life Followup

bruce@seismo.gps.caltech.edu (Bruce Worden) (08/04/90)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request.  Below is a cut-and-pasted
version of what I received.  The most recommended text is:

	Artificial Life: Proceedings of an Interdisciplinary Workshop
		on the Synthesis and Simulation of Living Systems.
		Edited by Christopher Langton

The meeting was in 1988.  Several people mentioned that the bibliography
is quite good.  The book is available from Addison Welsey Publishing
(phone # 800-447-2226):

		Hardback #09346-4
		Paperback #09356-1

It is currently available only in hardback, $48.50+shipping and tax.

There was also a second meeting held in February 1990.  William Calvin
(wcalvin@well.sf.ca.us, wcalvin@u.washington.edu) says:

>For the 1990 meeting last February in Sante Fe, there is a nice long
>report by Kevin Kelly in the Whole Earth Review (either the Spring or
>Summer issue).

I have not found this article yet, so I can't comment, but I am looking.

There is an Alife mailing list!  You can get on it by sending a request to:

		alife-request@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

In addition to the mailing list, the people at IU  have archived previous
communications, some articles, and some software (!).  All are available
by anonymous ftp.  Send your request to be added to the mailing list and
you will get the necessary information.

Again thanks to everyone who responded.  I think I sent a personal note
to all of you.  If I missed someone, my apologies.
							Bruce