[comp.ai] Habeas Animum: an attempt at Cognitive Vaccination

ylikoski@csc.fi (08/20/90)

There is a KGB agent whom I have personally known for many years and
whom I shall in this context call simply Igor.

Igor and his friends have among other things written a knowledge
engineering environment whose relation to the KEE (the Knowledge
Engineering Environment) is the same as the relation of the GNU system
(by Stallman et al.) to the Unix system.  (Unix is a trademark of Bell
Labs.)  At this very moment the KEEjevna may be a part of the battle
control systems of the MIG-29 ... heawen knoweth, and Dzerzinsky
Square.

One of the most interesting points about which I have had discussions
with Igor is the "human symbol function".

Whenever a person sees an object --- say, an apple --- a
representation of it is formed in his brain.  When a person reads a
sentence and understands it, a representation of it is formed in his
head (and there is for example a dedicated processor, which I shall
call the Single Word Processor, which transforms each word --- a set
of ASCII characters --- into a symbol).

The "human symbol function" is the mapping between external objects
(objects, symbols) and their representations in the human brain.
According to Igor, the human symbol functions of different persons are
roughly similar (even though mine is very different from the Russian
one so they have lots of difficulties manipulating me).

By feeding the victim a carefully chosen stream of symbols one can
drive the neurological representations in the brain of the victim.
This method --- when it is used with a crackerjack skill --- is like a
hand which one can reach into another person's brain.  For example, I
understand that the cortex is the actual symbol processor of the human
brain, and the white tissue under it is a huge switch network.  One of
the favourites of the KGB is to try to cut the connections in the
white tissue, and to try to build new ones.

(By the way, Finland has no intelligence agency but she has a
counterintelligence.  The Finnish counterintelligence seems to be a
part of the KGB, anyway.  The KGB carried out one unsuccesful attempt
to kill me, with a poison that hurts the central nervous system, and
I was ill for several years after that.  This attentate took place in
a situation which was such that I had made an agreement with the
Finnish counterintelligence to go there in order to hunt the KGB so
that we could get evidence against them.)

Antti (Andy) Ylikoski              ! Internet: YLIKOSKI@CSC.FI
Helsinki University of Technology  ! UUCP    : ylikoski@opmvax.kpo.fi
Helsinki, Finland                  !

smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) (08/22/90)

In article <1990Aug20.150018.1@csc.fi> ylikoski@csc.fi writes:

>By feeding the victim a carefully chosen stream of symbols one can
>drive the neurological representations in the brain of the victim.
>This method --- when it is used with a crackerjack skill --- is like a
>hand which one can reach into another person's brain.

Andy, I hope you realize that this is what interview-based psychotherapy is all
about.  Indeed, the fact that every brain has its own unique wiring probably
implies that it is ONLY through such exchange of symbols, as opposed to
pharmacology, that one may induce changes in another brain.  (If this puzzles
you, just lie down on the couch;  and we can talk about it!)

USPS:	Stephen Smoliar
	USC Information Sciences Institute
	4676 Admiralty Way  Suite 1001
	Marina del Rey, California  90292-6695

Internet:  smoliar@vaxa.isi.edu

"It's only words . . . unless they're true."--David Mamet