[comp.ai] Cyc

seim@tubopal.UUCP (Kai Seim) (08/22/90)

i have to say, that i'm bored by the discussion about Cyc. The first
problem seems to be, that the most people don't exactly know, what the
hell they are doing there. So it was good, that somebody (forgot the name)
posted a reference to an article in CACM. The problem is, that the most
informatic-engineers can't cite correct, i didn't found the article, but...

i found a book:

Building Large Knowledge-Based Systems -
Representation and Inference in the Cyc Project.

Douglas B. Lenat
R.V. Guha

Copyright 1990, Addison-Wesley

I only took a short look, but i would say, that i will not read it. They
talk, e.g. about "representation" without discussing the philosophical
background. That's unacceptable, i think.

Greetings, Kai

Kai Seim
Technische Universitaet Berlin                  University of Technology
Fachbereich Informatik                          Dept. of Computer Science
Franklinstr. 28/29
D 1000 Berlin 10

Tel.: +49 30 314-73285                          email seim@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de
Fax.: +49 30 314-24891

erich@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Erich Boleyn) (08/23/90)

In article <1713@drjur.tubopal.UUCP> seim@tubopal.UUCP (Kai Seim) writes:
>i have to say, that i'm bored by the discussion about Cyc. The first
...[reference to the book that everyone keeps on mentioning deleted]...
>talk, e.g. about "representation" without discussing the philosophical
>background. That's unacceptable, i think.

   What do you mean by the philosophical background?  Do you mean the
Reasoning behind the decisions made about the representation language?

   The main reason that I'm asking is that I have serious doubts about the
applicability of modern philosophy to AI.  I don't think that the assumptions
that most philosophy takes are very useful, or even very valid, outside of
a VERY specialized domain.

>Greetings, Kai

   (Well, Hello to you to...  ;-)

>Kai Seim

Regards,
	Erich

   ___--Erich S. Boleyn--___  CSNET/INTERNET:  erich@cs.pdx.edu
  {Portland State University}     ARPANET:     erich%cs.pdx.edu@relay.cs.net
       "A year spent in           BITNET:      a0eb@psuorvm.bitnet
      artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe in God"

reiter@forth.ed.ac.uk (Ehud Reiter) (08/23/90)

Here are a few references for those interested in Cyc, in no particular order:

D. Lenat and R. Guha (1990), BUILDING LARGE KNOWLEDGE BASE SYSTEMS,
Addison-Wesley

R. Guha, "The Representation of Defaults in Cyc", PROCEEDINGS OF AAAI-1990,
vol 2, pp 608-614

L. Terveen and D. Wroblewski, "A Collaborative Interface for Editing
Large Knowledge Bases", PROCEEDINGS OF AAAI-1990, vol 1, pp 491-496

article in August 1990 CACM (COMMUNICATIONS OF THE ACM) on the natural
language system associated with Cyc (I've haven't seen this issue yet,
so I'm not 100% of the name of the article)

R. Guha and D. Lenat (1990), "Cyc: A Mid-Term Report", submitted to
AI MAGAZINE and available now as a tech report

D. Lenat, M. Prakesh, M. Shephard (1986) "Cyc: Using Common Sense Knowledge ..."
AI MAGAZINE, vol 6, no 4, pp65-85 (1986)
[ This article is a bit dated ]

For tech reports, write to

	Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation
	Artificial Intelligence Lab
	3500 West Balcones Center Drive
	Austin, Texas 78759
	USA

						Ehud Reiter
						(e.reiter@edinburgh.ac.uk)

sire@PacBell.COM (Sheldon Rothenburg) (08/24/90)

In article <1713@drjur.tubopal.UUCP>, seim@tubopal.UUCP (Kai Seim) writes:
> i have to say, that i'm bored by the discussion about Cyc.
> i found a book:
> Building Large Knowledge-Based Systems -
> Representation and Inference in the Cyc Project.
> Douglas B. Lenat
> R.V. Guha
>
> I only took a short look, but i would say, that i will not read it. They
> talk, e.g. about "representation" without discussing the philosophical
> background. That's unacceptable, i think.

Sorry about your boredom. I don't feel the same way as you do about the
unacceptability of discussion of representation without philosophy.

At the risk of pre-empting Guha and Lenat, who may be reading this, Lenat
has spoken about the literature of ontology and representation. Some
great thinkers have made these topics their life's work and have not
reached conclusive answers to the dilemmas of the discipline yet. Should
AI wait for universal concurrence of the philosophical community to
work on its issues?

Engineers, by nature, build things to prove concepts, even where the
domain's requirements are not yet certain or cast in stone.

I find their ambition laudable and their books and reports fascinating.

Shelley
 P.S. You can find philosophical discussion of these topics elsewhere
with little difficulty.