[comp.ai] What AI is exactly - A follow up.

pnettlet@gara.une.oz.au (Philip Nettleton) (09/07/90)

lynch@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Richard Lynch) writes:

> "No man is an island unto himself."
>
> Certainly an intelligent machine should be able to handle many things for
> itself, but clearly at some point it must be capable of depending on others,
> dealing and negotiating with others.
>
> "TANSTAAFL" -> "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch", Cheers!

Agreed -> see new definition.

forbis@milton.u.washington.edu (Gary Forbis) writes:

> Self awareness does not exist in very young children yet their intelligence
> seems apparent to me. Defining the limits of "me" is one of the first tasks
> an intelligence has to solve; these limits are fuzzy.

Agreed -> see new definition.

Let us produce a slightly more refined general requirement for intelligent
behaviour:

a)	The system MUST be able to learn. This implies that the system MUST have
	a memory for learning to be maintained. Also learning comes in a
	number of varieties:

	i)	It MUST be able to learn from its own experiences. These can
		be broken down into further criteria:

		1)	Learning through trial and error.
		2)	Learning through observation.
		3)	Learning through active deduction (see reasoning).

	ii)	It SHOULD be able to learn by instruction, but this is not
		necessary. At the very least the system MUST have preprogrammed
		instincts. This is a boot strap for the developing intelligence.
		Without a starting point, the system cannot progress.

b)	The system MUST be autonomous. That is to say, it MUST be able to
	do things by itself (however may choose to accept aid). This can
	be disected as:

	i)	The system MUST be able to effect its environment based on
		its own independent conclusions.

	ii)	The system MUST be its own master and therefore doesn't
		require operator intervention.

	iii)	The system MUST be motivated. It must have needs and
		requirements that can to be satisfied by its own actions.

c)	The system MUST be able to reason. That is to say, it must use some
	form of deductive reasoning, based on known facts and capable of
	producing insights (deductions) which later become known facts.

d)	The system MUST be able to develop self awareness. This is related
	to autonomy, reasoning and learning, but also embodies the need for
	external senses. Without external senses there is no way of
	appreciating the difference between "me" and "outside of me".
	Sensationations of pain and pleasure can provide motivation.

		With Regards,

				Philip Nettleton,
				Tutor in Computer Science,
				Department of Maths, Stats, and Computing,
				The University of New England,
				Armidale,
				New South Wales,
				2351,