[comp.ai] Shallice/Neuropsychology: BBS Multiple Book review

harnad@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Stevan Harnad) (09/18/90)

Below is the abstract of a book that will be accorded multiple book
review in Behavioral and Brain Sciences (BBS), an international,
interdisciplinary journal that provides Open Peer Commentary on
important and controversial current research in the biobehavioral and
cognitive sciences. Commentators must be current BBS Associates or
nominated by a current BBS Associate. To be considered as a commentator
on this book, to suggest other appropriate commentators, or for
information about how to become a BBS Associate, please send email to:

harnad@clarity.princeton.edu  or harnad@pucc.bitnet        or write to:
BBS, 20 Nassau Street, #240, Princeton NJ 08542  [tel: 609-921-7771]

To help us put together a balanced list of commentators, please give some
indication of the aspects of the topic on which you would bring your
areas of expertise to bear if you are selected as a commentator.
          BBS Multiple Book Review of:

         FROM NEUROPSYCHOLOGY TO MENTAL STRUCTURE

              Tim Shallice
	      MRC Applied Psychology Unit
	      Cambridge, UK

ABSTRACT: Studies of the effects of brain lesions on human behavior are
now cited more widely than ever, yet there is no agreement on which
neuropsychological findings are relevant to our understanding of normal
function. Despite the range of artefacts to which inferences from
neuropsychological studies are potentially subject -- e.g., resource
differences between tasks, premorbid individual differences and
reorganisation of function -- they are corroborated by similar findings
in studies of normal cognition (short-term memory, reading, writing,
the relation between input and output systems and visual perception).
The functional dissociations found in neuropsychological studies suggest
that not only are input systems organized modularly, but so are central systems.
This conclusion is supported by considering impairments of knowledge,
visual attention, supervisory functions, memory and consciousness.
--
Stevan Harnad INTERNET:  harnad@confidence.princeton.edu    harnad@princeton.edu
srh@flash.bellcore.com    harnad@elbereth.rutgers.edu      harnad@princeton.uucp

jpk@ingres.com (Jon Krueger) (09/20/90)

From article <Sep.17.22.56.27.1990.20996@elbereth.rutgers.edu>, by harnad@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Stevan Harnad):
>           BBS Multiple Book Review of:
>
>          FROM NEUROPSYCHOLOGY TO MENTAL STRUCTURE
>
>               Tim Shallice
> 	      MRC Applied Psychology Unit
> 	      Cambridge, UK
>
> ABSTRACT: Studies of the effects of brain lesions on human behavior are
> now cited more widely than ever

Wrong.  No one has studied the effect of brain lesions on human
behavior, and no one is about to.

Observations of the behavior of individuals with lesions are reported,
sometimes reliably.  Testing before and after the lesion is seldom
done.  Random assignment of subjects or lesions is never done.  Ethical
restrictions simply don't permit it.  Therefore, you can't vary
independent variables like location of lesion, hold other variables
constant or randomize for them, and discover the effect on dependent
variables like behavior.  We have some guesses about what brain lesions
do to human behavior, but we can't study it scientifically.

Therefore it shouldn't surprise anyone that

> there is no agreement on which
> neuropsychological findings are relevant to our understanding of normal
> function.

Since there are some manipulations we can do ethically, we might expect
to get some agreement by doing some science using them.

You're also engaging in egregious sort-crossing.  Brain events are not
mixable with mental ones.  Cutting remarks don't produce lesions.
Injecting dye into brains doesn't produce colorful thoughts.  Neurons
don't have ideas.  Holmes can't ask Doyle for more interesting cases.
Holmes can't count the number of pages in the book.  Similarly,
brain and mentality are not the same sort of phenomena.  Statements
that mix terms from the two lexicons are unlikely to mean anything.

-- Jon
--

Jon Krueger, jpk@ingres.com

tony@nexus.yorku.ca (Tony Wallis) (09/21/90)

Responding to Stevan Harnad, Jon Krueger writes :
| >  [Review of] FROM NEUROPSYCHOLOGY TO MENTAL STRUCTURE [by] Tim Shallice
| > ABSTRACT: Studies of the effects of brain lesions on human behavior are
| > now cited more widely than ever. ...
| Wrong.  No one has studied the effect of brain lesions on human
| behavior, and no one is about to. ...
| You're also engaging in egregious sort-crossing.  Brain events are not
| mixable with mental ones.  ...
| ... Holmes can't ask Doyle for more interesting cases.   ...

Yes he can.  Holmes can review his philosophical position, decide that
he has a creator and ask that creator to modify his world.  From
"below" (within the fictional world of Holmes) this appears to be
religious or something similar.  From "above" (the world of you, me and
the mind and writing of Doyle) this appears as Doyle dialoging with himself.
In either case, it is a quite valid thing to do.
I am not being facetious here.  Just pointing out that you are making some
metaphysical assumptions in your strict partitioning of brain and mind
events.

... tony@nexus.yorku.ca = Tony Wallis, York University, Toronto, Canada