[comp.ai] WANTED : Papers on Search

sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au (09/20/90)

I have to give a 1 hr seminar on the general topic of SEARCH. What I would
like is any research articles anyone may have on the following topics
in particular :

   1. Search trees
   2. Brute-force searches
        - breadth first,
        - depth first,
        - bidirectional, etc...
   3. Heuristic searches
        - A* search
   4. Abstraction
        - single level,
        - multiple hierachical levels
   5. Searches used in two-player games
        - Minimax,
        - Alpha-Beta pruning
        - Node orderning, etc...
   6. Real-time single agent search
        - lookahead search
        - alpha prunning
   7. Constraint satisfaction problems
        - brute force backtracking
        - intelligent backtracking
        - network-based heuristics
   8. General
        - parallel search algorithms
        - learning heuristic evaluation functions
        - any alternatives to full-width minimax searches

Any material on any of the above topics would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Marcus Schnell

sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au

hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Marty Hall) (09/20/90)

In article <3670.26f8b0df@cc.curtin.edu.au> sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:

>I have to give a 1 hr seminar on the general topic of SEARCH. What I would
                  ^^^^
>like is any research articles anyone may have on the following topics
>in particular :

Sounds to me like you want an overview paper, not details on a specific
area of search. Try one of Richard Korf's survey papers:

Korf, Richard, "Search: A Survey of Recent Results", in _Exploring Artificial
Intelligence: Survey Talks from the National Conferences on AI_, Howard
Shrobe, ed, Morgan Kaufmann, 1988. [This book, IMHO, contains several excellent
survey papers useful for getting a quick view of different AI subfields]

Korf, Richard, "Optimal Path-Finding Algorithms", in _Search in AI_, Kanal
and Kumar, eds, 1988. Similar to an earlier one that appeared in Computer
Science Surveys.

You could also read Pearl's book (_Heuristics_), but that sounds like overkill
for a short seminar.
					- Marty Hall
hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu, hall%aplcen@jhunix.bitnet, ..uunet!aplcen!hall
Artificial Intelligence Lab, AAI Corp, PO Box 126, Hunt Valley, MD 21030

nau@frabjous.cs.umd.edu (Dana Nau) (09/25/90)

In article <3670.26f8b0df@cc.curtin.edu.au> sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:

>I have to give a 1 hr seminar on the general topic of SEARCH. What I would
>like is any research articles anyone may have on the following topics
>in particular ...

For recent work, the best reference is L. Kanal and V. Kumar (ed.),
_Search_in_Artificial_Intelligence_, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1988.
This book includes articles by many of the more prominent researchers
in the field.
--
	Dana S. Nau
	Computer Science Dept.		Internet:  nau@cs.umd.edu

us267384@mmm.serc.3m.com (Steven M. Anastasi) (09/26/90)

From article <26695@mimsy.umd.edu>, by nau@frabjous.cs.umd.edu (Dana Nau):
> In article <3670.26f8b0df@cc.curtin.edu.au> sschnellm@cc.curtin.edu.au writes:
>>
>>I have to give a 1 hr seminar on the general topic of SEARCH. What I would
>>like is any research articles anyone may have on the following topics
>>in particular ...
>
> For recent work, the best reference is L. Kanal and V. Kumar (ed.),
> _Search_in_Artificial_Intelligence_, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1988.
> This book includes articles by many of the more prominent researchers
> in the field.
> --
> 	Dana S. Nau
> 	Computer Science Dept.		Internet:  nau@cs.umd.edu
> 	University of Maryland		UUCP:  uunet!mimsy!nau
> 	College Park, MD 20742		Telephone:  (301) 405-2684

Does this book cover a broad range of search, or is it confined to
more traditional AI searches?

I've looking for a book that encapsulates most of the recent advances
to the well-known search approaches for applications in AI.

Steve Anastasi
3M Center
St. Paul, MN
612/733-6970