[comp.ai] Less-than-famous AI Departments

lpress@isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) (10/23/90)

The other day, a student who was not feeling too hot about his
GRE exam, asked me to recommend some grad schools with good,
but not famous AI departments for him to apply to.  I suggested
that he look for interesting papers written by people at schools
other than Stanford, MIT, etc.  What strategy would you recommend?
Do any schools come to mind?

Thanks,
Larry

theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (10/24/90)

lpress@isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:

> The other day, a student who was not feeling too hot about his
> GRE exam, asked me to recommend some grad schools with good,
> but not famous AI departments for him to apply to.  I suggested
> that he look for interesting papers written by people at schools
> other than Stanford, MIT, etc.  What strategy would you recommend?
> Do any schools come to mind?
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Many schools have the 3.0 (or higher) in the last 60 credits
OR a 1000 in the GRE. AS OF LAST YEAR, both University of Central
Florida and University of South Florida had this requirement.
Both are up and coming engineering schools with an interesting
approach to cognitive a.i. along with other interesting ai bents.

theo

niccum@cs.umn.edu (Thomas M. Niccum) (10/25/90)

theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:

>lpress@isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:

>> The other day, a student who was not feeling too hot about his
>> GRE exam, asked me to recommend some grad schools with good,
>> but not famous AI departments for him to apply to.  I suggested
>> that he look for interesting papers written by people at schools
>> other than Stanford, MIT, etc.  What strategy would you recommend?
>> Do any schools come to mind?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Larry

>Many schools have the 3.0 (or higher) in the last 60 credits
>OR a 1000 in the GRE. AS OF LAST YEAR, both University of Central
      ^^^^
		Wow, I HAD thought I did pretty well.

How was this number (1000) arrived at?
The highest score on an individual test is 800 in each section
of the general (math, analytical, verbal) and 800 in the computer
science subject advanced test.  The scores are reported separately, to
the student anyway.  So, my question is how do I combine my four gre scores
to compare to your 1000 point benchmark????

[..stuff deleted..]

>theo

-Tom

| Thomas M. Niccum   | Questions are a burden to others....                   |
| niccum@cs.umn.edu  |  Answers are a prison for oneself.                     |
| 612.626.7810                                                                |

rshelby@ms.uky.edu (Richard Shelby) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.194647.10784@cs.umn.edu>, niccum@cs.umn.edu (Thomas M. Niccum) writes:
> theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:
> >lpress@isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
> >Many schools have the 3.0 (or higher) in the last 60 credits
> >OR a 1000 in the GRE. AS OF LAST YEAR, both University of Central
> 		Wow, I HAD thought I did pretty well.
> How was this number (1000) arrived at?

As you pointed out, the highest score possible on each to the three
general sections of the GRE and on an advanced test is 800.  Most
graduate schools combine the quantitative and verbal scores and match
this against a required minimum.  So the highest possible under this
scheme is 1600.  A GRE combined quantitative and verbal score of 1000
is a very common requirement among US graduate schools.

--
Richard L Shelby       Dept of Health Services       Univ of Kentucky
rshelby@ms.uky.edu  rshelby@ukma.BITNET  {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!rshelby

            You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) (10/25/90)

> >Many schools have the 3.0 (or higher) in the last 60 credits
> >OR a 1000 in the GRE. AS OF LAST YEAR, both University of Central
>       ^^^^
> 		Wow, I HAD thought I did pretty well.
>
> How was this number (1000) arrived at?
> The highest score on an individual test is 800 in each section
> of the general (math, analytical, verbal) and 800 in the computer
> science subject advanced test.  The scores are reported separately, to
> the student anyway.  So, my question is how do I combine my four gre scores
> to compare to your 1000 point benchmark????
> -Tom

Tom --
please realize that the score is for verbal and quant. ONLY. No special
testing (GRE SPECIAL TEST) necessary. ANAL. is not used *at all*.

Does this help?

theo

hall@waterfall.ec.usf.EDU (Larry Hall ) (10/25/90)

In article <LB3iR3w163w@cs.fau.edu>, theo@cs.fau.edu (Theo Heavey) writes:
|> lpress@isi.edu (Laurence I. Press) writes:
|>
|> > The other day, a student who was not feeling too hot about his
|> > GRE exam, asked me to recommend some grad schools with good,
|> > but not famous AI departments for him to apply to.  I suggested
|> > that he look for interesting papers written by people at schools
|> > other than Stanford, MIT, etc.  What strategy would you recommend?
|> > Do any schools come to mind?
|> >
|> > Thanks,
|> > Larry
|>
|> Many schools have the 3.0 (or higher) in the last 60 credits
|> OR a 1000 in the GRE. AS OF LAST YEAR, both University of Central
|> Florida and University of South Florida had this requirement.
|> Both are up and coming engineering schools with an interesting
|> approach to cognitive a.i. along with other interesting ai bents.
|>
|> theo

Just to clear up the picture...
At the University of South Florida in Tampa, we have a requirement of
a minimum 3.0 GRE AND 1100 on the GRE's.  The GRE score is gotten by taking
the verbal and quantitative scores and adding them.  Any exceptions will be
rare.  In order to receive a Teaching or Research Assitantship the scores need
to be higher.  The AI work is primarily within the Department of Computer
Science and Engineering.

We have a group that works with machine learning, hybrid connectionist symbolic
models, a group doing parallel processing for AI, some expert systems work,
and  a Computer Vision group, which is looking at such things as functional
knowledge representation for vision problems, the use of neural networks in
vision, and medical imaging.  Our AI effort is growing and
we encourage graduate applicants.

--Larry Hall
University of South Florida
Tampa, Fl. 33620