[comp.ai] Does Strong Ai Exist?

msb88@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bhuller MS) (11/16/90)

 Hello, comp.ai.

 I am a student at Southampton University and for one of our awareness
courses we have to have a discussion of AI. Possible questions could
be..

 1) Does it exist?
 2) Does it have any commercial value?
 3) Could it change the face of computing?
 4) New horizons.?

 Basically i think it could boil down to arguing the pro and the against
case.
 I have heard of the Chinese room problem, but unfortunately have no
archived information of the many discussions about it here last year.
 I would be grateful for any e-mailed articles and discussions, or
perhaps we could take the lid of AI yet again?
 Thanks in advance and apologies in advance in case this board gets
swamped yet again by many excellent comments.

 Marcos.

jufier@daimi.aau.dk (Svend Jules Fjerdingstad) (11/21/90)

msb88@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bhuller MS) writes:

> Thanks in advance and apologies in advance in case this board gets
>swamped yet again by many excellent comments.

	This is an apology. I accidentally hit the wrong key, thereby posting
	my reply to the above request instead of mailing it. Please forgive me.

	Svend
--

Svend Jules Fjerdingstad, jufier@daimi.aau.dk       |  "To love,
Computer Science Department, University of Aarhus   |     and to learn."

msb88@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Bhuller MS) (11/26/90)

 Thanks to all you kind people who replied to my
 mail.

 Especially G.Joly@uk.ac.ucl.cs

 Thanks a lot.

 Macros.