[comp.ai] Do ASCII scanners exist?

00lhramer@bsu-ucs.uucp (Only to fly where angels dare - and the nights she whispers - Ride the wind never coming back again...) (11/26/90)

I'm curious whether there exist scanners on the market that actually
convert the bitmap information they receive into an ASCII format.

I have my ideas on how this could be accomplished, but it seems like
Artificial Intelligence is something that could pose a solution to this
sort of problem.

Thanx in advance,

Leslie Ramer : (Junior) Computer Science Major
             : Ball State University, Muncie, IN
               00LHRAMER@BSUVAX1.BITNET

tad@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Tad Alan Davis) (11/28/90)

From article <49716@bsu-ucs.uucp>, by 00lhramer@bsu-ucs.uucp (Only to fly where angels dare - and the nights she whispers - Ride the wind never coming back again...):
> I'm curious whether there exist scanners on the market that actually
> convert the bitmap information they receive into an ASCII format.

I believe that these type of programs are referred to as OCR programs
(Optical Character Recognizers).  I think that they are generally sold
for particular fonts, though some will first determine the font, then
begin translating.  I am not sure if there are any font independent
ones out there or not, and if there are what their accuracy rate is.

Leslie,

   Please post or e-mail me responses, particularly if you find some
public domain software for OCR.  My e-mail to you bounces.

Thanks

--
					Tad Davis
					Bell Atlantic Knowledge Systems

news@j.cc.purdue.edu (Usenet news) (12/02/90)

capable of learning any kind of fonts. Unfortunately it does not work very
well. Besides the limitation of the algorithms used in this software, the
quality of my image scanner is probably another factor. While the discipline
of pattern recognition and AI are still at a primitive level, it is not
realistic to have too high an expectation on such kind of PC applications.
From: zhou@brazil.psych.purdue.edu (Albert Zhou)

I guess I'll just return this software in a few days.