[comp.ai] 'AI is a blind alley'

sjr87@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Simon Roberts) (11/29/90)

I've been roped in to propose the above motion in a debate to be held
soon. Althought I realise many people reading this newsgroup will have
the opposite view to that expressed above, I would like to hear from
anyone with comments on it, regardless of being for or against it.

Regards,

Zak Roberts

--

Zak Roberts : sjr87@ecs.soton.ac.uk (+ nsfnet-relay.ac.uk)

minsky@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Marvin Minsky) (12/01/90)

In article <5461@ecs.soton.ac.uk> sjr87@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Simon Roberts) writes:
>I've been roped in to propose the above motion in a debate to be held
>soon. Althought I realise many people reading this newsgroup will have
>the opposite view to that expressed above, I would like to hear from
>anyone with comments on it, regardless of being for or against it.

Ah, merrie old England.  Last such debate was won by Prof. Lighthill
in the 1970s.  Caused AI research to die on y'r little island, and
subsequent brain drain.  But there were signs of recovery in the 80's.
Your debate comes just in time!  Congratulations.

irani@milli.cs.umn.edu (Erach Irani) (12/02/90)

Parallel lines meet at infinity.

A.I. is like that, we have a long , long way to go before we can even
answer whether we can re-invent the human brain's capabilities or even a
simpler animal's intelligence -- but on the way we have "grandmaster
level chess programs" -- and still can't answer the question about
reproducing intelligence.

So looks like what we're saying is a blind alley, is the  way parallel
lines meet at infinity -- the answer is too far away, but we'll get
there.

	- erach

--
Phone : (Home) (612) 378-2336     Work : (612) 627-4850
InterNet : irani@cs.umn.edu       UUCP: uunet!umn-cs!irani

news@cs.utk.edu (USENET News System) (12/03/90)

In a recent posting, Zak asked for information on "AI is a blind alley".
An article entitled "Death by ARtificial Causes", by Gary R. Martins,
appeared in _Defense Computing_ for November-December 1988.  This article
tackles this question well -- although I disagree with the points made by
the author!!!  Among other things, he says "While all other areas of
technology have enjoyed heroic advances since 1955, AI advocates are still
picking over the same stale chestnuts that seemed so fascinating way back then."He appears to be mainly attacking the U.S. DOD (defense) support of AI as
applied to military problems.  Of course, we all know what an oxy-moronic term
"military intelligence" is  <:-) !!!  Ranks (sic) right along with "military
Justice"  >:-) !
From: sfp@mars.ornl.gov (Phil Spelt)

Phil Spelt
ORNL