[comp.ai] what is COGNITIVE SCIENCE ?

BKW1@psuvm.psu.edu (12/08/90)

Date: Friday, 7 Dec 1990 18:44:47 EST
From: <BKW1@psuvm.psu.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.ai.neural-nets
Subject: WHAT IS COGNITIVE SCIENCE ?

could someone give me a definition of cognitive science ?

Is a branch of AI ?
What fields are comprised within Cognitive Science ?
What is the RElation between Cogn.Sci and AI ?
                                   Thanks
                                         Barbara Wade

rapaport@acsu.buffalo.edu (William J. Rapaport) (12/12/90)

In article <90341.184809BKW1@psuvm.psu.edu> BKW1@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>could someone give me a definition of cognitive science ?
>
>Is a branch of AI ?
>What fields are comprised within Cognitive Science ?
>What is the RElation between Cogn.Sci and AI ?

A LaTeXable file containing a survey article I have written for the
forthcoming 3rd edition of the Encyclopedia of Computer Science and
Engineering on "Cognitive Science" is available from me.   Email me at
rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu

Hardcopy is available from Sally Elder, Dept. of Computer Science,
SUNY Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14260.  Ask for:

Rapaport, William J. (forthcoming), ``Cognitive Science,'' in A. Ralston &
E. D. Reilly (eds.), Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Engineering,
3rd edition (New York:  Van Nostrand Reinhold); pre-printed as Technical
Report 90-12 (Buffalo:  SUNY Buffalo Dept. of Computer Science, May 1990).

			William J. Rapaport
			Associate Professor of Computer Science
			Center for Cognitive Science

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {rutgers,uunet}!cs.buffalo.edu!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||fax:  (716) 636-3464