[net.unix-wizards] Using parameterized terminfo

	In System V Release 2 I almost exclusively use curses(3X) in a C program
to make use of the terminfo(4) capabilities.  However, on occasion I use
tput(1) to make use of terminfo(4) capabilities in a Bourne shell script where
there is no C program involved.
	Such applications as: ``tput clear'', ``tput bel'', etc. as invoked by
the shell work just fine.
	I have never been able to get any parameterized capabilities (such
as ``cuf'', ``vpa'', etc.) to work with tput(1).  I have tried all manner of
syntax for passing parameters with no success.
	Does anyone know if it is even POSSIBLE to utilize any parameterized
capabilities with tput(1)?  If so, how?

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP:  {allegra|decvax|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE: 716/688-1231                {hplabs|ihnp4|seismo}!/
==>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3}      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

In article <1206@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>on occasion I use
>tput(1) to make use of terminfo(4) capabilities in a Bourne shell script where
>there is no C program involved.
>	Such applications as: ``tput clear'', ``tput bel'', etc. as invoked by
>the shell work just fine.
>	I have never been able to get any parameterized capabilities (such
>as ``cuf'', ``vpa'', etc.) to work with tput(1).  I have tried all manner of
>syntax for passing parameters with no success.
>	Does anyone know if it is even POSSIBLE to utilize any parameterized
>capabilities with tput(1)?  If so, how?
>==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York

You can't.  Tput is not set up to handle parameterized capabilities.
However you can easily write your own program to do this if you wish;
see the terminfo(4) manpages for more info.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
	   go for it!  			allegra,ulysses,vax135}!ttrdc!levy

hansen@pegasus.UUCP (Tony L. Hansen) (08/20/86)

< >	I have never been able to get any parameterized capabilities (such
< >as ``cuf'', ``vpa'', etc.) to work with tput(1).  I have tried all manner
< >of syntax for passing parameters with no success.
<
< You can't.  Tput is not set up to handle parameterized capabilities.

Allowing parameters to be passed into the tput program was one of the
enhancements made in System V release 3. Thus, to move to point (1,10) on
the screen, one would use the command:

	tput cup 1 10

					Tony Hansen
					ihnp4!pegasus!hansen

kalash@ingres.Berkeley.EDU.ARPA (Joe Kalash) (08/21/86)

In article <1141@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>In article <1206@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>>	I have never been able to get any parameterized capabilities (such
>>as ``cuf'', ``vpa'', etc.) to work with tput(1).  I have tried all manner of
>>syntax for passing parameters with no success.
>You can't.  Tput is not set up to handle parameterized capabilities.

	The V.3 version of tput does allow parameter passing, not
that that probably does you any good...

			Joe Kalash
			kalash@berkeley
			ucbvax!kalash