[comp.ai] Thaddeus Cahill's Telharmonium

borasky@ogicse.ogi.edu (M. Edward Borasky) (12/26/90)

In article <1990Dec25.144305.8590@cs.umn.edu> thornley@cs.umn.edu (David H. Thornley) writes:
>In article <10340@darkstar.ucsc.edu> foetus@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (71030000) writes:
>>Back in the days when a telephone switchboard (or even Thaddius Cahills
>>fabled Tellharmonium) was the most complicated, technologically
>>advanced task machine, people compared that to a brain.
I'm impressed!  Thaddeus Cahill's Telharmonium?  I haven't heard that
mentioned in years.  I'm going to take this thread (eventually) to
"comp.music"; that's what the Telharmonium was.  By the way, anybody
remember the Hammond organ?  The one that generated sound with tone
wheels?  Guess whose patents were involved?  Yup, Thaddeus Cahill,
circa 1895!

I was unaware, though, that people of the day compared the Telharmonium
to the brain.  Was this a problem for Babbage as well?