[comp.ai] CLIPS

krishnan@csunc.cs.uh.edu (Parameshwaran Krishnan [KRIS]) (11/23/89)

Hi,

	I am currently doing a project using CLIPS. Any person who has
any information on the FLOW of CLIPS or can suggest any book which
describes CLIPS is welcome. I have been programming in Procedural languages
for almost 4 years. And i find it difficult to understand the flow in
CLIPS. Somebody enlighten me please .....

Thanks in anticipation...

BYE

Krishnan P

benson@dcdwest.uucp (Peter Benson) (09/05/90)

Has anyone done any work with CLIPS.  I have a short time fuse project and I want
to put together a short rule-based system to learn the language.  Any help
would be appreciated.
Peter Benson, Ph.D.             | ITT Aerospace/Communications Division
phone: (619)578-3080            | 10060 Carroll Canyon Road
fax:   (619)578-5371            | San Diego, CA 92131
email: dcdwest!benson@UCSD.EDU  |
--
Peter Benson, Ph.D.             | ITT Aerospace/Communications Division
phone: (619)578-3080            | 10060 Carroll Canyon Road
fax:   (619)578-5371            | San Diego, CA 92131
email: dcdwest!benson@UCSD.EDU  |

sxl@banzai.WPI.EDU (Shawna Liu) (10/18/90)

Help please! Does anybody know ANYthing about where to get CLIPS
or at least where to get the info about where to get it?

Any reply appreciated.

shawna

sxl@cs.wpi.edu
508-752-9113 (home)
508-831-5568 (office)

np4@prism.gatech.EDU (POMPONIO,NICHOLAS A) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.095610@banzai.WPI.EDU> sxl@banzai.WPI.EDU (Shawna Liu) writes:
>Help please! Does anybody know ANYthing about where to get CLIPS
>or at least where to get the info about where to get it?
>
>Any reply appreciated.

CLIPS can be obtained from the Computer Software Management and Information
Center (COSMIC), which is located at the University of Georgia. The address &
telephone number are:

     COSMIC
     The University of Georgia
     382 East Broad Street
     Athens, Ga. 30602
     (404) 542-3265

--
POMPONIO,NICHOLAS A
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!np4

ntm1169@dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) (10/20/90)

From article <1990Oct18.095610@banzai.WPI.EDU>,sxl@banzai.WPI.EDU (Shawna Liu):
> Help please! Does anybody know ANYthing about where to get CLIPS
> or at least where to get the info about where to get it?

  I have enclosed a response from a previous posting.
Newsgroups: comp.ai.shells
Subject: Re: Looking for SOAR and CLIPS

From article <4496@uklirb.UUCP>, by manli@cs.uh.edu (Man L. Li):
> We are looking for SOAR and CLIPS for our research project.  Can somebody
> let us know how to obtain them.  Hopefully they are free or at minimal cost
> for educational purpose.  Thanks a lot.
> Man L. Li (manli@cs.uh.edu)
> Dept. of Computer Science
> University of Houston

According to my most recent information, CLIPS is available from NASA.
You can contact them at:

	 COSMIC
	 382 E. Broad St
	 Athens, GA 30602
	 (404)-542-3265

  The last information that I have indicates that CLIPS is free to Govenment
  Agencies and is available to others for a fee.  I'm not sure how accurate
  this information is, as it is approx. 1 year old, so contact them to be
  sure. (I work for the Government, so we were able to get the free copy:-)

  Duane L. Rezac

+-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Duane L. Rezac        |These views are my own, and NOT representitive of  |
| dsacg1!dcscg1!cpp90221|my place of Employment.                            |
+-----------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002
INTERNET:  mgiven@dsac.dla.mil   UUCP: ...{osu-cis}!dsac!mgiven
Phone:  614-238-9431  AUTOVON: 850-9431   FAX: 614-238-9928 I speak for myself

rdominy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov9.151042.11127@Think.COM> alk@think (Tony Kimball)
writes:
> > CLIPS can be obtained from the Computer Software Management and Inform
> > Center (COSMIC)...
> > Cost is about $300, though technically it is in the Public
> > Domain because it was produced by the gov't.  You can
> > replicate & redistribute it without restrictions.
>
> So when is some kind soul going to make it available for FTP?

There is a version of CLIPS posted to the sumex ftp site and to
the commercial  service Genie.

-------------------------------
Robert Dominy
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

rdominy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov12.140406.119@cs.utk.edu> news@cs.utk.edu (USENET News
System) writes:
> As a (government) user of CLIPS, I believe that CLIPS is technically
> *NOT* in the public domain, as it is distributed by either NAS/JSC in
> Houston or COSMIC, as the previous posting said.

Whether it's actually in the public domain is arguable, but it  is
definitely not copyrighted (take a close look through your disks and
documentation) nor licensed.

System) writes:
>  We are *NOT* permitted
> to distribute CLIPS code "willy-nilly" to our non-government
> contractors.  For non-gov't users, the $300.00 fee to COSMIC buys the
> source code for the system, and permits the user to use/alter it as
> s/he sees fit.

The only restrictions listed in the documentation is that copies supplied
to the US Gov't (such as myself here at NASA GSFC) can only be RE-
distributed for US Gov't work.  This means that contractors working
for the gov't are covered, so I can willy-nilly distribute this code to
my contractors.  The note goes on to say that "for non-government work
you must buy CLIPS from COSMIC ..."

System) writes:
> The user can also distribute *finished products*, but
> not the source or the entire shell, as I understand the arrangements.
> Hence, no FTP-ing, I think.

continuing from my quote above "... in which case you can do WHATEVER YOU
WANT WITH IT."   Sounds pretty unrestricted to me.

I would however strongly advocate buying the program through COSMIC,
because this is easiest way of getting a good set of documentation and
up-to-
date software.   Even more importantly, the purchase supports continued
development of CLIPS (at least indirectly).   CLIPS is under constant
development at NASA/JSC and now boasts its own annual conference.

-------------------------------

killem@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (11/17/90)

news@cs.utk.edu (USENET News System) writes:

>As a (government) user of CLIPS, I believe that CLIPS is technically
>*NOT* in the public domain, as it is distributed by either NAS/JSC in
>Houston or COSMIC, as the previous posting said.  We are *NOT* permitted
>to distribute CLIPS code "willy-nilly" to our non-government

  From "Expert Systems--Printciples and Programming" by Joseph
Giarratano and Gary Riley:

pg xvix-xx:

  "The congress has charged NASA with the task of stimulating the
widest possible use of its new technology in the national
interest.  NASA seeks to meet that responsibility through its
Technology Utilization Program, whose ai is to broaden and
accelerate the technology trasfer process."

  "NASA's mechanism for making sofware technology available to the
private sector is the Computer Management Software and Information
Center (COSMIC (tm))."

COSMIC is locate at U. of Georga, where a library of containing
more than 1,400 programs "for tasks such as structual analysis,
design of fluid systems, electronic circuit design, chemical
analyses, determination of building energy requirements, and a
variety of other functions including artificial intelligence.
COSMIC  customers can purchase a program for a fractionof its
original cost..."

The price quoted in the above article does sound right.
Currently, a fully ADA compatable version is in works (or maybe
finished by now), so that full compatability with the C version is
achieved.

>contractors.  For non-gov't users, the $300.00 fee to COSMIC buys the
>source code for the system, and permits the user to use/alter it as
>s/he sees fit.  The user can also distribute *finished products*, but
>not the source or the entire shell, as I understand the arrangements.
>Hence, no FTP-ing, I think.
>Phil Spelt, ORNL
>From: sfp@stc06.ornl.gov (SPELT P F)
tttttt        pppppp       qqqqqq           Todd Pasanen  1200Baud
  tt          pp   p       qq  qq           tpq@clmqt.marquette.mi.US!
  tt          ppppp        qq  qq    toddp@lopez.UUCP too! eh?
  tt          pp           qqqqqqq   ..Stop, forget it!!!

rpoldrac@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Russ Poldrack) (11/19/90)

I originally misposted this to comp.ai.philosophy: Does anyone know
of FTP sites with CLIPS rule bases? The ones that come with it are fairly
small.  Email to me and I will post if there is any interest.
Russ Poldrack (rpoldrac@s.psych.uiuc.edu)

joshua@athertn.Atherton.COM (Flame Bait) (11/21/90)

sfp@stc06.ctd.ornl.gov (SPELT P F) writes:
> For non-gov't users, the $300.00 fee to COSMIC buys the
> source code for the system, and permits the user to use/alter it as
> s/he sees fit.  The user can also distribute *finished products*, but
> not the source or the entire shell, as I understand the arrangements.
> Hence, no FTP-ing, I think.

You can buy CLIPS (with source) from the Austin Code Works.  The cost
is about $60 when you get all the documentation.  It comes on IBM PC
disks, but I was able to move it to a Sun, where it compiled without
changes.

Austin Code Works advertises (sp?) in BYTE and Dr. Dobb's journal.

Is there a CLIPS mailing list?  I can't start one, but I'd love to join one.

Joshua Levy (joshua@atherton.com)  (408) 734-9822

john@amc-gw.amc.com (John Sambrook) (11/22/90)

In article <33715@joshua.athertn.Atherton.COM> joshua@Atherton.COM (Flame Bait) writes:

>Is there a CLIPS mailing list?  I can't start one, but I'd love to join one.

I'll second this request.  I'd like to be included on any existing CLIPS
mailing list.

--
John Sambrook                             DNS: john@amc.com
Applied Microsystems Corporation	 UUCP: amc-gw!john

ntm1169@dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) (11/24/90)

     There is an electronic bulletin board for software from COSMIC,
including CLIPS and NETS.   COSMIC is a nonprofit agency that distributes
software developed by NASA and other government agencies.

      The phone numbers for the BBS are as follows:
   713-280-3896 or  713-280-3892 (modem setup 2400 baud, N-8-1)

   COSMIC has an E-Mail address now:
      INTERNET:     SERVICE@COSSACK.COSMIC.UGA.EDU
   They also have an E-Mail mailing list that you can get onto by
   sending E-mail to Tim Sykes at the above address.
--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002
INTERNET:  mgiven@dsac.dla.mil   UUCP: ...{osu-cis}!dsac!mgiven
Phone:  614-238-9431  AUTOVON: 850-9431   FAX: 614-238-9928 I speak for myself

jasona@sugar.hackercorp.com (Jason Asbahr) (12/28/90)

Greetings!

Is anyone familiar with CLIPS, a software shell for developing expert
systems?  It was developed at Johnson Space Center (right down the street!
(more or less)) and I found a version for my Atari ST on the local Atari
Users Group bbs.  The small doc file arc'ed with it that dates my version
from 1987 and I'm hoping to find an updated version.

I'm also looking for CLIPS "experts" who are willing to share their
experiences (both good and bad) with the program.  Has anyone received
the User's Guide or the Reference Manual available from JSC?  Have books
been written about CLIPS yet (that I might find in a library)?

I have not worked with Expert Systems before and CLIPS seems like a good
way to get involved.  Is there a newsgroup focused on ES yet?

   Thanks,

       -Jason Asbahr, clattering away at sugar, Houston
--

kirchner@cs.umn.edu (Roger B. Kirchner) (12/28/90)

One excellent reference for CLIPS is
Expert Systems, Principles and Programming, by Joseph Giarratano (U Houston -
Clear Lake) and Gary Riley (NASA - Johnson Space Center), PWS-Kent, 1989,
ISBN 0-87835-335-6.

First half is general intro to es, kr, reasoning and the second half is
an introduction to CLIPS which seems quite complete.  A disk with
DOS version integrated micro-emacs and examples is included.

I'm interested in other references, experiences too.
Roger Kirchner

peterhi@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Peter Hickman) (01/14/91)

What is the latest version of CLIPS? I ask this because I made come across the
C sources in a PD catalogue ( indeed I have the stuff in my mitts at this very
moment ). The version I have is 3.11 and contains a user manual and a
technical reference along with an IBM binary.

( I made sure I got my hands on it before posting this! :) )

Peter Hi

        Peter "You're doing computing as an ARTS degree!" Hickman
      COGS U/G PH, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9QH
--------------------------------------- peterhi@uk.ac.sussex.syma ------------
    "Lego is the Mechano of the intellectual cripple" - Aaron Sloman
--------------------------------------- peterhi@uk.ac.sussex.tsuna -----------
      "More beer, more shouting, resistance is useless" - USTA bars

ntm1169@dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) (01/16/91)

From article <4181@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, by peterhi@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Peter Hickman):
> What is the latest version of CLIPS? I ask this because I made come across the

     Version 4.2 is the latest one currently available, but version 5.0 is
     due to be shipped any day now.   I have included some information below
     which was posted earlier about it.
From news Fri Sep 14 08:36:17 1990
From: andy@gistdev.gist.com (Andy Warinner)
Newsgroups: comp.ai
Subject: Re: CLIPS OR NEXPERT
Date: 13 Sep 90 16:51:34 GMT

If anyone is interested in CLIPS, you might consider waiting a little bit.
NASA has come out with CLIPS v5.0 with lots of goodies.

CLIPS Object-Oriented Language (COOL) - "The features of COOL include:
classes with multiple inheritance, single and multi-valued slots (with
slot daemons), instances with encapsulation, and message-passing (with
before, after, primary, and around message-handlers)."

Deffunctions - "deffunctions may be used to new capabilities to CLIPS
without having to write new code in C and recompile CLIPS."

Generic functions - "Generic functions can be used to overload functions
in a manner similar to, but much more powerful than, languages such as
ADA and C++."

Global Variables

Integer Data Type Support

Conflict Resolution Strategies and Salience Extensions - "Seven conflict
resolution strategies are provided including depth, breadth, lex, mea,
simplicity, complexity, and random. ... Salience values can also be
dynamically evaluated each time a new activation is added to the agenda..."

Deftemplate Field Checking

Incremental Reset

Truth Maintenance - "Facts can be made logically dependent upon the
existence or nonexistence of other facts."

(quoted from CLIPS v5.0 announcement)

NASA, USAF, and their contractors can get CLIPS by calling the CLIPS
Help Desk at (713) 280-2233 (Mon - Fri).  CLIPS v5.0 will be available
to the general public "by early 1991" (from the v5.0 announcement).
I heard from reliable sources that it would be January 1991.
The general public can obtain CLIPS from COSMIC (for $350):

	COSMIC
	382 E. Broad St.
	Athens, GA  30602
	(404) 542-3265

Andrew Warinner | "Semper ubi sub ubi" - J. Caesar
GIST, Inc.      |
Standard        | EMAIL:  andy@gistdev.gist.com
disclaimer...   |         {uunet, uiucuxc}!gistdev!andy