[comp.ai] Sources for Technical Reports

krovetz@CS.UMASS.EDU (Bob Krovetz) (02/05/91)

A recent posting asked about sources for technical reports.  There is a newsgroup
devoted to distributing lists of tech reports called comp.doc.techreports.  I have
also accumulated a list of some contacts for tech reports, and that list is given
below (I included the contacts for Edinburgh that were given in another posting).
The list is rather old, so some of the contacts may have changed.

The following is a list of people who can be contacted at various sites
on the net for ordering technical reports.  I've tried to determine who
is the site contact, whether they have an on line bibliography, if they
have a mailing list for notification of new TR's, and if the TR's themselves
are available on line.  If anyone knows of this information for any sites I
haven't mentioned, please send me a message and I will post a followup.
Note that the mailing lists mentioned are U.S. mail, not electronic!
Online bibliographies at the various sites may be FTP'd by logging in with
id: ANONYMOUS and password GUEST (this only applies if you are on the Internet)

BBN:      No reports or list online (no list even in hard copy).  Contact
          author directly about getting a copy of the TR.

CMU:      No online list, however they do have a mailing list for
          notification of recent TR's.  TR's can be ordered over the net.
          The contact person is Sylvia Berry (Berry@A.CS.CMU.EDU).

Edinburgh: Reports from the Center for Cognitive Science can be requested
           from: cogsci%ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk, and reports from the
           Human Communication Research Center can be requested from:
           HCRC%ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk.  A list of available reports
           can be sent via email.

ILLINOIS: Erna Amerman (Erna@UIUC.EDU) is the contact.

ISI:      Sheila Coyazo (SCoyazo@venera.isi.edu) is the contact.  A list
          of the available reports is under {ISIB}<BBOARD>ISI-PUBLICATIONS.DOC

LOUISIANA: Technical reports from Louisiana State University can be
           requested from Cindy@LSU.EDU.  A biblography is online and
           can be sent via electronic mail.

MARYLAND: No contact person and no online bibliography.

MCC:      Tami Panini (Tami@MERCEDES.ACA.MCC.COM) is a possible contact
          (she sent me the last batch of reports I asked for).

MIT:      The bibliography of AI memos and reports has been distributed
          over the TRLIST mailing list (comp.doc.techreports).

NYU:      Mary Conway used to be the contact, but messages to her
          now bounce.  Current contact is unknown.

OHIO:     A list of the reports from Ohio State will eventually be
          stored on {SUMEX-AIM} under <CHANDRASEKARAN>.  The reports
          may be ordered via US Mail by contacting Ms. Chris Putnam,
          Dept. of Computer and Information Science, Ohio State University,
          Columbus, OH 43210.

PURDUE:   There is no online bibliography and there is a charge for
          the reports.  Queries about availability and price may be
          directed to Dr. William Schalliol (Schallio@ASC.CC.PURDUE.EDU)

ROCHESTER: No contact person and no online bibliography.

RUTGERS:  Contact Christine Loungo (Loungo@ARAMIS.RUTGERS.EDU) or
          Carol Petty (Petty@ARAMIS.RUTGERS.EDU) to obtain reports.
          They maintain a mailing list to distribute notices of the TR's
          and the abstracts.  The abstracts of recent reports are online
          and under: {RUTGERS}<library>tecrpts-online.doc.

SRI:      No online list of just the report names, but there is a list of
          the reports plus abstracts.  Tonita Walker (TWalker@AI.SRI.COM)
          used to be the contact person.  The current contact is unknown.
          Many of the reports are available for FTPing.
          The list of reports and abstracts was distributed over TRLIST.

Stanford: Stanford reports are issued by four sources: the HPP (Heuristic
          Programming Project; now Knowledge Systems Lab), the AI lab, the
          Center for the Study of Language and Information (CSLI), and the
          Computer Science Department.  HPP reports are available without
          charge by contacting Communications@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU).
          Please be reasonable with your requests; no more than 15 at a time!
          There is no online bibliography available, but a hard copy may be
          requested.  There is an online bibliograpy of AI lab reports in
          AIMLST in [BIB,DOC] on SAIL.STANFORD.EDU.  Some of the reports are
          available online and are so indicated in the bibliography.  Reports
          from CSLI may be requested from Trudy Vizamos
          (Trudy@CSLI.STANFORD.EDU).  A bibliography of the reports
          is stored under {CSLI.STANFORD.EDU}<CSLI>CATALOG.REPORTS.  CSLI also
          issues lecture notes, and a bibliography of these is under
          {CSLI.STANFORD.EDU}<CSLI>CATALOG.LECTURE-NOTES.  The reports are
          available without charge, but there is a charge for the lecture
          notes.  There is also a charge for reports published by either
          the AI lab or the Computer Science Department, but queries as
          to cost and/or availablity used to be sent to Taleen Nazarian
          (TALEEN@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU. A bibliography of CSD reports from
          1963 to 1984 is available for $5.00.  The department maintains a
          mailing list for notification of new TR's.  You can be added to it
          by contacting Taleen.  Updates are sent out about five or six
          times per year.

SUNY:     TR's from SUNY Buffalo may be requested from Jeffrey Zucker
          (decvax!sunybcs!gloria!zucker).  They also have an online
          bibliography available by request.

UCLA:     No reports or list online, but you can contact Brenda Ramsey
          (Ramsey@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU) to obtain information on price and
          availability.  The reports must be prepaid.  Ms. Ramsey can also
          be contacted by phone at 213-825-2778.

UMASS:    Department of Computer and Information Science (COINS), University
          of Massachusetts, Amherst.  A list of COINS technical reports,
          copies of specific TR's, or additions to a mailing list for
          notification of new TR's can be requested by sending mail to
          TECHREPT@CS.UMASS.EDU

UPENN:    Publications@UPENN.EDU is the contact.  Alternatively,
          you can try James Lotkowski (James@CIS.UPENN.EDU)

UTEXAS:   A list of current reports is in {UTEXAS}<cs.tech>TRLIST.  A
          master list of reports still in print is under MASTER.TR.  Many
          of the current reports themselves are also available in the
          above directory, but they contain text formatting commands.
          The directory contains a file READ.ME which tells which text
          formatter was used for which reports (SCRIBE vs. NROFF).
          Reports may be ordered by sending mail to Kata Carbone
          (TRCENTER@CS.UTEXAS.EDU) forr CS dept. rpts or Yvonne
          (YVO@CS.UTEXAS.EDU) for AI lab reports.

WEIZMANN: A list of the technical reports from the Wiezmann
          Institute is under {SCORE}<PROLOG>WIEZMANN_ABSTRACTS.DOC

XEROX:    Maia Pindar (Pindar@XEROX.COM) is the contact person.  An online
          copy of the bibliography is not available at the moment, but
          Ms. Pindar may be contacted to obtain a hardcopy.

Yale:     Donna Mauri (Mauri@YALE.EDU) is the contact person for AI or
          cognitive science reports.  There is no online list of those
          reports, but she can send a hard copy list.  For non-AI/cognitive
          science reports the contact person is Kim Washington
          (Washington@YALE.EDU).

rapaport@acsu.buffalo.edu (William J. Rapaport) (02/09/91)

In article <26050@dime.cs.umass.edu> krovetz@CS.UMASS.EDU (Bob Krovetz) writes:

>SUNY:     TR's from SUNY Buffalo may be requested from Jeffrey Zucker
>          (decvax!sunybcs!gloria!zucker).  They also have an online
>          bibliography available by request.

Update:

Computer Science TRs from SUNY Buffalo may be requested from Sally Elder
(elder@cs.buffalo.edu).  We might still have an online bib. available by
request.
			William J. Rapaport
			Associate Professor of Computer Science
			Center for Cognitive Science

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  rapaport@cs.buffalo.edu
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    rapaport@sunybcs.bitnet
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {rutgers,uunet}!cs.buffalo.edu!rapaport
(716) 636-3193, 3180     ||fax:  (716) 636-3464