[comp.ai] AI language for business area?

jyoo@elbereth.rutgers.edu (J-S Yoo) (02/25/91)

Hello,
	The question is:
     	I have special interest in AI application on business area.
	Which programming language is most dominant in AI programming?

	If this newsgroup is inappropriate for the question, my
apologies; do advise me appropriate one(s).

	Thank you.

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (02/26/91)

Applied AI, as far as I can tell, is split between two languages,
Lisp and Prolog.

Turbo Prolog is a third language, similar but not identical to Prolog,
and used for some applications on PCs.

Many applications are developed with expert system shells rather than
by writing a program. A shell is a software development tool.

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu (02/26/91)

In article <Feb.25.04.20.38.1991.21407@elbereth.rutgers.edu>
jyoo@elbereth.rutgers.edu (J-S Yoo) writes:

>Hello,
>        The question is:
>        I have special interest in AI application on business area.
>        Which programming language is most dominant in AI programming?
>
>        If this newsgroup is inappropriate for the question, my
>apologies; do advise me appropriate one(s).
>
>        Thank you.

a suggestion: it might be best to say what kind of problem you are trying to
do, then select the tool once you have in hand a desription of what you want to
use the tool for.

  ---jon---

jjacobs@well.sf.ca.us (Jeffrey Jacobs) (02/27/91)

Nobody in business really uses AI "languages" these days, where
languages = PROLOG or LISP.  Its much more productive to use a shell
such as NEXPERT Object or AION's ADS.

Jeffrey M. Jacobs
ConsArt Systems Inc, Technology & Management Consulting
P.O. Box 3016, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266
voice: (213)376-3802, E-Mail: 76702.456@COMPUSERVE.COM

aarons@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman) (03/02/91)

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) writes:

> Date: 25 Feb 91 17:22:30 GMT
>
> Applied AI, as far as I can tell, is split between two languages,
> Lisp and Prolog.

Several UK companies (and some elsewhere) have used Poplog because
they like to be able to mix languages. Poplog provides ML,Prolog,
Common Lisp and Pop-11 and allows "external" languages to be linked
in, e.g. C, Fortran.

Prolog and Pop-11 seem to be the more widely used among Poplog
users. (Pop-11 is similar to Lisp in its functionality, but it looks
more like Pascal, and is far more compact than most Common Lisp
systems.)

The most recent example I've heard of is a company called COGSYS Ltd
that has developed a real-time expert system development tool, using
Pop-11. This is a follow on from the RESCU project, a collaborative
Real Time Expert System club involving several UK companies, that
used Pop-11 to develop a prototype during the UK Alvey Programme.

For more examples of commercial applications, contact the commercial
distributors of Poplog:

Integral Solutions Ltd
Unit 3, Campbell Court
Bramley,
Basingstoke,
Hampshire,
RG26 5EG
England

Phone   0256 882028        Fax 0256 882182
Phone   +44-256 882028     Fax +44-256 882182

Email isl@integ.uucp    or isl@integ.co.uk

mikeb@wdl35.wdl.loral.com (Michael H Bender) (03/05/91)

sticklen@pleiades.cps.msu.edu writes:
> In article <Feb.25.04.20.38.1991.21407@elbereth.rutgers.edu>
> jyoo@elbereth.rutgers.edu (J-S Yoo) writes:
> >
> >Hello,
> >        The question is:
> >        I have special interest in AI application on business area.
> >        Which programming language is most dominant in AI programming?
> >
> >        If this newsgroup is inappropriate for the question, my
> >apologies; do advise me appropriate one(s).
> >
> >        Thank you.
> >
>  a suggestion: it might be best to say what kind of problem you are trying to
> do, then select the tool once you have in hand a desription of what you
> want to > use the tool for.
>    ---jon---

A further suggestion: for most straight-forward expert system applications
you should probably consider using an expert system shell instead of
programming in Lisp or Prolog. There are very many expert system shells
available, which you choose should depend on the nature of your application
and your hardware/software.

Mike Bender