[comp.ai] Pigeon obliteration

nhaus@eagle.wesleyan.edu (03/30/91)

Following the engineering/military vein which has been introduced to this
discussion:

  The Navy has a system, called Phalanx, which is capable of locating a target
out of blue sky (not too hard via radar) and pointing its gatling gun in the
appropriate direction to turn it to swiss cheese. There are a couple of
interesting points about this one:

  1. It won't go after birds.

  2. It can find its own bullets in its field of 'vision', figure out by how
much they are missing the target, and correct.

  3. It works very, very quickly in real time.

  I'm not sure on the details, but I am sure of two things: no AI involved, and
it has to be turned on to work (as demonstrated in the P. Gulf a year or two
ago).

Fulfillment of human capacity is beyond the capacity of any human.
s-mail: Nikolaus Haus                  | e-mail: NHAUS@eagle.wesleyan.edu
        Box 4408 Wesleyan              |
        Middletown, CT 06459           | v-line: (203) 638-0422

willdye@typhoon.unl.edu (03/31/91)

nhaus@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

>  The Navy has a system, called Phalanx, which is capable of locating a target
>out of blue sky (not too hard via radar) and pointing its gatling gun in the
>appropriate direction to turn it to swiss cheese. There are a couple of
>interesting points about this one:

>  1. It won't go after birds.

Actually, it DOES, it just isn't supposed to.  Tuning the radar to
avoid false signals (like flocks of birds), yet still see legitimate
targets is still a problem.  That's why there were so many false
Patriot firings during Desert Sheild/Storm, yet very few million-
dollar misfirings in calm peacetime.  When things are calm, the
operators keep the signal-to-noise threshold high, to keep from
shooting at errant meteorites and such.  In wartime (and pre-war),
they lower the threshold.  This lets few legit targets get by, but
unfortunately means you waste a few shots on false signals.

By the way, I don't know if these systems used AI techniques or not,
but I'd like to point out:

1.  What was called AI yesterday is often called engineering today.
Remember when it was said that a good chess-playing computer would be
'intelligent'?

2.  Techniques called 'AI' today will still be useful for target
identification.  Fighting signal-to-noise ratios involves having the
computer 'know' what is wanted (signal) and what is not wanted (noise)
by 'understanding' the overall scene.  I agree that today's targeting
systems are not AI, but my guess is that learning to track targets using
AI techniques will still be worthwhile, since an AI-based architecture
may be more extensible than a (relatively) simple "hit the biggest
hot spot" system, which is what we have today.

	willdye

disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about.  UNL knows it.
I know it.  By now even YOU know it.