[comp.ai] Decision support systems

simonof@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Simonoff Robert 301 540 1864) (04/03/91)

Please help, I have heard about decision support systems, but
do not know what one is.  Is it mearly a system that aids one
in the decision making process?  If so, suppose a decision
support system were embedded in a larger system, and the
DSS (decision support system) provided information to other
modules, would it still be a DSS or does it have to help a human
make decisions?

I need a cut and dried approach for ascertaining whether or not
a given system is a decision support system.  I hope it is more
than simply - assists in making decisions...

Thanks.
Bob Simonoff

Please reply to:
simonofb@rckvm1.iinus1.ibm.com

fhadsell@slate.mines.colorado.edu (Frank Hadsell) (04/03/91)

I'm afraid that this won't help you very much; however, I have constructed
a prototype expert system called the "Structured Decision Maker" that I
use when I need to make a decision and don't know where to start.

This system was put together under TI's shell called Personal Consultant
Plus on the basis of the paradigm of Chales Wales and Anne Nardi of
West Virginia University. They called their system "Successful
Decision-Making. I also call my expert system the Committee Chairman's
Advisor.

SDM can be compared to a bull-headed word processor. For one thing it
will not let you enter a partial solution until you have defined the
problem. It provides a lot of help derived from years of my experience
with committees and from Wales and Nardi.

There are a variety of other paradigms that can be used. I also
recommend "The New Rational Manager" by Kepner and Tregoe. The central
idea is that one needs some sort of procedure to follow when confronted
by the tough decison that must be made.

I would no longer recommend my expert system to anyone, but I would
still be prepared to defend the idea that computers can guide us through
tough decisions, in any knowledge domain.

I plan to reconstruct SDM on my NeXT using Objective-C. I've gotten
started but just.

Is there anyone else out there who is interested in this game? Are there
other systems to help us with the decision making process?

--
 INTERNET:: fhadsell@mines.colorado.edu  BITNET:: fhadsell@mines
 Frank Hadsell, Prof. of Geophysics, Colorado School of Mines,

patty@chmsr (Patricia Jones) (04/04/91)

Here at CHMSR at Georgia Tech, one of our research groups is interested in
applying artificial intelligence techniques to the design of "intelligent"
tutoring and decision support ("aiding") systems.  In particular, we are
interested in supporting the human operators who act as supervisory controllers
of complex dynamic systems.  We have implemented a blackboard architecture that performs dynamic intent inferencing in the context of NASA satellite
ground control applications (however, the approach is pretty generic and
I think could be useful for other folks looking at similar issues in other
dynamic systems). My dissertation (in progress) is on defining requirements
for human-computer cooperative problem solving (how "intelligent" or
model-based decision support/aiding could work) and using the blackboard
system as a basis for context-sensitive advice, reminders, etc. as well
as a visual mechanism for dynamic task allocation.

For more info, see the following (plus I'd be happy to discuss things over
email):

Jones, P. M., Mitchell, C. M., and Rubin, K. S. (1990).  Validation of
intent inferencing by a model-based operator's associate.   International
Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 33, 177-202.

Rubin, K. S., Jones, P. M. and Mitchell, C. M. (1988).  OFMspert:
Inference of operator intentions in supervisory control using a blackboard
architecture.   IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics,
18, 618-637.

Jones, P. M. and Mitchell, C. M. (1990).  Human-computer cooperative problem
solving I:  A case study of an expert system for real-time monitoring.
Proceedings of the 1990 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man,
and Cybernetics, 505-507.

Jones, P. M. and Mitchell, C. M. (1990).  Human-computer cooperative problem
solving II:  A theory and an implementation.  Proceedings of the 1990 IEEE
International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, 671-673.

Patricia M. Jones
Center for Human-Machine Systems Research
School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology,  Atlanta, GA 30332-0205

UUCP:	patty@chmsr.UUCP
        {backbones}!gatech!chmsr!patty
INTERNET:	patty@chmsr.gatech.edu