[comp.ai] What is "fuzzy logic"?

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (03/29/91)

This is a novice question. I've read precisely one article on
"fuzzy logic" so far that was at all informative, and the
understanding I got from it goes like this:

* Traditional feedback systems are analog in implementation. Their
control signals can be characterized as analytic functions of their
present and past error inputs (e g the classic example of the
engine governor). Sophisticated control algorithms require more
complex analytic functions, which rapidly become unmanageable
in an analog-only implementation.

* With computers, it becomes possible to have control outputs
which are arbitrary combinatorial functions of present and
past error inputs.

* "Fuzzy logic" lies somewhere between a purely analytic and
an arbitrarily combinatorial form; control functions are now
_piecewise analytic_ (a hybrid digital/analog approach). A
combinatorial decision procedure selects a different analytic
function, depending on the ranges of the error inputs. The
resulting compound function is continuous across the decision
boundaries.

Does this agree with what other people understand by "fuzzy logic"?
If so, there isn't really anything in it that can be described
as "fuzzy". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
$ show node
%DCL-W-ABKEYW, ambiguous qualifier or keyword - supply more characters
 \NODE\

ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker) (03/30/91)

>This is a novice question. I've read precisely one article on
>"fuzzy logic" so far that was at all informative, and the
>understanding I got from it goes like this:

>* Traditional feedback systems are analog in implementation. Their
>control signals can be characterized as analytic functions of their...

>* With computers, it becomes possible to have control outputs
>which are arbitrary combinatorial functions of present and...

>* "Fuzzy logic" lies somewhere between a purely analytic and
>an arbitrarily combinatorial form; control functions are now....

>Does this agree with what other people understand by "fuzzy logic"?
>If so, there isn't really anything in it that can be described
>as "fuzzy". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Recently, I've also been wondering about fuzzy logic and just what it is.
There's been an incredible amount of hype about it.  If a reporter doesn't
understand the logic behind something, it suddenly becomes "fuzzy-logic".
According to all the sources, Japan loves it and America doesn't care about
it (so, of course, America is behind).  There's supposed to be new
cameras coming out that use "fuzzy-logic" for their auto-focusing mechanisms.

As for your description, I've never heard of fuzzy logic being described as
a analog-digital hybrid before.  But then again, I've never heard any
satisfactory descriptions of fuzzy-logic (I'm still thinking about yours).
All the times I've heard about it, its description has sounded like
conditional logic (or probabilistic logic).  All the reports talk about
how now you can define "fuzzy" sets like (short, medium, tall, very tall)
rather being restricted to two-valued sets (true, false).

In normal logic, if you have a set (say a set of tall people), then a person
is either in the set or not in the set.  There is no in-between.  Conditional
logic allows you to assign probabilities to statements.  A person can be in
the set with a certain probability.  The complications begin when you start
to apply operators like 'and' or 'or'.  In normal logic, this is easy
(true 'and' true) = true.  In conditional logic, you might have multiple
probabilistic dependencies that have to be calculated in a reasonable manner.

If I recall right, the expert system Mycin used a simplistic method to apply
those operators.  If you had three statements with probabilities of
0.2,0.4, and
0.8, then the 'OR' of those three statements was simply the greatest
value (0.8)
and the 'AND' of those three statements was simply the lowest value (0.2).

So, in order to give something that people can respond to (I'm really
curious about what fuzzy-logic really is), I make the following claim:

Fuzzy-logic is essentially conditional logic but with a well-defined
method (I don't know what it is) for applying operators (like 'and' or 'or')
to statements with multiple probabilistic dependencies.

Any comments?  (I hope so.)

-Vincent Huffaker

 e-mail = ah314368@longs.lance.colostate.edu

No, I haven't made my .sig file yet and thanks so much for reminding me.

cpshelley@violet.uwaterloo.ca (cameron shelley) (03/30/91)

In article <13842@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker) writes:
[...]
>Recently, I've also been wondering about fuzzy logic and just what it is.
>There's been an incredible amount of hype about it.  If a reporter doesn't
>understand the logic behind something, it suddenly becomes "fuzzy-logic".
>According to all the sources, Japan loves it and America doesn't care about
>it (so, of course, America is behind).  There's supposed to be new
>cameras coming out that use "fuzzy-logic" for their auto-focusing mechanisms.
[...]
>So, in order to give something that people can respond to (I'm really
>curious about what fuzzy-logic really is), I make the following claim:
>
>Fuzzy-logic is essentially conditional logic but with a well-defined
>method (I don't know what it is) for applying operators (like 'and' or 'or')
>to statements with multiple probabilistic dependencies.
>
>Any comments?  (I hope so.)

I don't have any more insight than you on this, but I can tell you what I
surmised from a talk Lofti Zadeh ("Mr. Fuzzy Logic") gave here a few
weeks ago.

It seems that fuzzy logic is an ontological go-between from `classical'
logic and probability.  Classical logic is (among other things) a system
for dealing with objects by assigning them values from a discrete set
(usually two --- binary logic).  Probability is a system which deals with
objects by assigning them values from a continuous set (bounded between
real values 0 and 1).  From what Dr. Zadeh said, fuzzy logic is an attempt
at a system to deal with objects by assigning them values from a `large'
discrete set but without a well-definable order relation (such as "<" in
probability).

If this sounds obscure, then I can at least say I've accurately
communicated my current mental state on the subject. :-)

				Cam

--
      Cameron Shelley        | "Belladonna, n.  In Italian a beautiful lady;
cpshelley@violet.waterloo.edu|  in English a deadly poison.  A striking example

ttoupin@diana.cair.du.edu (Tory Toupin) (03/30/91)

While we are on the subject, what is the significance of the term "first order
predicate calculus"?  What is "nth other predicate calculus"?  Perchance
"fuzzy-logic"?
--
Tory S. Toupin                         |
ttoupin@diana.cair.du.edu              | Existence toward perfection...

-----
C'est ne pas un fichier de <<.signature>>

epstein@sunc4.cs.uiuc.edu (Milt Epstein) (03/30/91)

In <1991Mar30.030729.15540@mercury.cair.du.edu> ttoupin@diana.cair.du.edu (Tory Toupin) writes:

>While we are on the subject, what is the significance of the term "first order
>predicate calculus"?  What is "nth other predicate calculus"?  Perchance
>"fuzzy-logic"?

First-order means you can only quantify over objects in the domain of
discourse -- that is, variables can only represent objects.  In
second-order, you can quantify over functions and predicates, such as:

     (forall (P) (P A) ==> (P B))

(everything that is true of A is true of B).

I guess I had never dealt with anything beyond second-order, but I
found something about higher-order logics in "The Computer Modelling
Of Mathematical Reasoning" by Alan Bundy.  It talks about the ideas of
"functionals", "lambda abstractions" and "omega order logic", which I
have not really heard of before (except lambda abstractions).

Fuzzy logic, as some other people have pointed out, is something of a
cross between classical (two-valued) logic and probability (where you
have continuous values between 0 and 1).

--
Milt Epstein
Department of Computer Science

yee@edison.seas.ucla.edu (John Yee) (03/30/91)

While we are all asking questions about fuzzy logic (my understanding
being that it allows for more uncertainty that true/false), can someone
tell me how it is actually implemented on a computer.

Being but an ignoramus in all languages newer than Fortran, I naively
think that in making a decision, a computer has to execute as statement
like "if x > 10 then [do something]".  How would a computer decide whether
an object is "tall" without something like "if x > 999 then (x in tall)"?

Thanks, yee@seas.ucla.edu

wido@isgtec.uucp (Wido Menhardt) (03/31/91)

In article <13842@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker) writes:
> Recently, I've also been wondering about fuzzy logic and just what it is.

  I would recommend to take a dive into literature. There is nothing
  fuzzy about Fuzzy Logic, and that's the way to find out.

[stuff deleted]

> Fuzzy-logic is essentially conditional logic but with a well-defined
> method (I don't know what it is) for applying operators (like 'and' or 'or')
> to statements with multiple probabilistic dependencies.

  Now, this *IS* fuzzy!

wido@isgtec.uucp (Wido Menhardt) (03/31/91)

In article <27F41DFC.3E0E@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu> epstein@sunc4.cs.uiuc.edu (Milt Epstein) writes:
[..]
> Fuzzy logic, as some other people have pointed out, is something of a
> cross between classical (two-valued) logic and probability (where you
> have continuous values between 0 and 1).

Fuzzy logic is simply a multi-valued logic; and it is not the only one,
although quite popular (and successful) in a number of fields, like
pattern recognition, vision, XPS, NN, process control....

Fuzzy logic has nothing to do with probability, except for the fact that
the range of truth values are usually taken from the interval [0,1].
On the contrary, it is _dangerous_ to think of fuzzy variables as of
random variables, because both the concepts and the operators are
quite different.

It seems like somebody should post a tutorial.... so little time.

kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (04/01/91)

In <13842@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker) writes:
[...]
>Fuzzy-logic is essentially conditional logic but with a well-defined
>method (I don't know what it is) for applying operators (like 'and' or 'or')
>to statements with multiple probabilistic dependencies.
[...]

When Dr. Zadeh spoke here last semester, he was asked if Fuzzy Logic
provided (required) a particular combination function. He said no; you
should use whatever combination function worked. Likewise it does
not provide (require) any particular possibility distribution; you should
use whatever works.

--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Anthony Huffaker) (04/02/91)

>   I would recommend to take a dive into literature. There is nothing
>   fuzzy about Fuzzy Logic, and that's the way to find out.

Are there any reports in particular that you feel
give a good introduction (not too "fuzzy") to
Fuzzy Logic?

-Vincent Huffaker

 e-mail = ah314368@longs.lance.colostate.edu
No, I don't have a .sig file yet, and thanks so much for reminding me!

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (04/02/91)

In fuzzy logic, truth values range from 0 to 1.

The logical functions "and", "or", etc., are floating-point functions
that combine two truth-values to get another truth-value.

So "if Joe is tall and gangly" might be rendered in FORTRAN as

  IF (AND(TALL(JOE),GANGLY(JOE))>0.5) ...

That is: If the AND function, applied to TALL(JOE) and GANGLY(JOE),
yields a value greater than 0.5, then...

(where TALL(JOE) and GANGLY(JOE) would each give a floating-point value
between 0 and 1).

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.205421.8079@athena.cs.uga.edu>
mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A.  Covington) writes:

>In fuzzy logic, truth values range from 0 to 1.

In some versions, truth varies from -1 to +1, with -1 meaning `certainly
false', +1 meaning `certainly true' and 0 meaning `don't know'.  E.g.
``It is raining now in Los Angeles'' has a truth value of 0 (for me)
because I have no evidence one way or the other, but ``It is raining now
in Edinburgh'' has a truth value of -1 because I can see the sun
shining.

The version implemented in the `Fril' language goes a step further, and
a truth value is indicated as a range.  E.g.  the truth value of some
statement might be written as (0.5 0.7) meaning that its certainty lies
somewhere between 0.5 and 0.7 inclusive.

A probability can also be attached to a rule as a probability of
implication.  ``It is raining --> the sidewalk is wet'' has a certainty
of +1 since the sidewalk always gets wet when it rains, but ``It is
raining --> Louise is wet'' has a certainty of around 0.2 as Louise
doesn't usually go out in the rain.

Ken Johnson, AIAI             This is the Earth. No-one gets out of here alive
80 South Bridge, Edinburgh                      PAY NO ROOF TAX! PAY NO RATES!
E-mail ken@aiai.ed.ac.uk
031-650 2756 direct line                    Muslims say: Hands Off Shoplifters

mikeb@wdl35.wdl.loral.com (Michael H Bender) (04/03/91)

> kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) writes:
>    ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker) writes:
>    [...]
>    >Fuzzy-logic is essentially conditional logic but with a well-defined
>    >method (I don't know what it is) for applying operators (like 'and' or 'or')
>    >to statements with multiple probabilistic dependencies.
>    [...]
>
>    When Dr. Zadeh spoke here last semester, he was asked if Fuzzy Logic
>    provided (required) a particular combination function. He said no; you
>    should use whatever combination function worked. Likewise it does
>    not provide (require) any particular possibility distribution; you should
>    use whatever works.
>
> Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

I think there is legitimate reason for confusion here. It is my
understanding that in Dr.Zadeh's originial work he DID specify various
combination functions (e.g., how AND and OR would operate.) However, his
specifications seemed to be arbitrary and did not stand up well to the
force of criticism. As a result, many practicioners (myself included) have
developed our own combination functions. It is my belief that Dr. Zadeh
may have changed his mind over the years.

By the way - Does anyone have information about what combination functions
are designed into the "FUZZY CHIPS" which have been developed in Japan and
in the United States?

Mike Bender

ntm1169@dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) (04/03/91)

From article <13842@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, by ah314368@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Vincent Huffaker):
> Fuzzy-logic is essentially conditional logic but with a well-defined
> method (I don't know what it is) for applying operators (like 'and' or 'or')
> to statements with multiple probabilistic dependencies.

    Quoting from an article on page 32 of the March 18, 1991 issue of
   "Information Week", fuzzy logic is "a generalization of the mathematical
   notion of set membership, in which an element may have partial membership
   in a set."   For more information I would suggest reading the papers and
   books of Lofti Zadeh.
--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency Systems Automation Center,
             DSAC-TMP, Bldg. 27-1, P.O. Box 1605, Columbus, OH 43216-5002

kadie@herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu (Carl M. Kadie) (04/03/91)

In <MIKEB.91Apr2090235@wdl35.wdl.loral.com> mikeb@wdl35.wdl.loral.com (Michael H Bender) writes:
[...]

>I think there is legitimate reason for confusion here. It is my
>understanding that in Dr.Zadeh's originial work he DID specify various
>combination functions (e.g., how AND and OR would operate.) However, his
>specifications seemed to be arbitrary and did not stand up well to the
>force of criticism. As a result, many practicioners (myself included) have
>developed our own combination functions. It is my belief that Dr. Zadeh
>may have changed his mind over the years.
[...]

Are these new combination functions less arbitrary?

(Alternatively, do they show that any choice of combination function
is arbitrary?)

--
Carl Kadie -- kadie@cs.uiuc.edu -- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

G.Moretti@massey.ac.nz (Giovanni Moretti) (04/03/91)

The easiest way I've found to think about fuzzy logic as related to
expert systems, is that you have rules with conditions and results in
the usual way, except that the conditions may have a modifier
attached to them so they're not BOOLEAN (ie TRUE or FALSE) but have
some degree of being TRUE or applicable.

How well the conditions are fulfilled affects how much significance
is given to the conclusion.

So, instead of the usual rules:

1)  if HEATSINK_TEMP > HOT and AMBIENT_TEMPERATURE = HOT then FAN:= ON
2)  if HEATSINK_TEMP < HOT Then FAN:= OFF

    where Heatsink_temp is an integer and hot = 55

we could have in a fuzzy system

3)  if HEATSINK_TEMP is HOT  then INCREASE power_to_fan
4)  if HEATSINK_TEMP is COLD then DECREASE power_to_fan

 where Heatsink temperature is one of COLD, COOL, MODERATE, WARM and HOT

                           THIS is CRUCIAL

*    ALL OF THE RULES AND THEIR CONCLUSIONS ARE EVALUATED EVERY TIME  *

This means that:

  -rule 3's conclusion will be evaluated even if the temperature is COLD
   but the value of the increase will be very small.

However as the temperature increases,
the increase in fan power from rule 3 starts to dominate as the value
of HEATSINK_TEMP approaches HOT (the gradations of TEMPERATURE may be
COLD, COOL, MODERATE, WARM and HOT). The value of INCREASE or DECREASE
are related to how closely the conditions are met.

This would give much smoother control of the temperature with only
two rules than the brute force FULL-ON or FULL-OFF approach.

*** This evaluation of all of the rules all of the time means that the
    system can easily handle conflicting rules and inputs.

*** The significance given to the conclusion is related to how well the
    conditions are met, meaning that fewer rules are necessary.

There you have it - my understanding in a nutshell ...
I just wish it didn't sound so authoritative :-)

For more info: