[comp.ai] Fuzzy Articles

ao@milton.u.washington.edu (Allen Olson) (04/05/91)

I am starting a robotics project in which I think fuzzy logic may be
appropriate, so I was very happy to see several articles mentioned in
email me titles of articles that could provide a good introduction to
fuzzy logic especially as used in control systems. Also, are there any
good books which provide an overview of the field yet?

Thanks in advance,
	Allen Olson
	ao@milton.u.washington.edu

-    Hay  Oh!                                               -
-    /\   /\                                                -

elias@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Doug Elias) (04/05/91)

>Are there any good books which provide an overview of the field yet?

Try "Fuzzy Sets, Uncertainty, and Information", George Klir and
Tina Folger, published by Prentice Hall.  Excellent coverage,
lots of problems at the end of the chapters, 25 pages of references
in the back.  i've used it for 2-3 years for a Master's level course
on Fuzzy Sets and Reasoning, and recommend it highly.

doug
--
#  ____    |Internet:   elias@theory.tn.cornell.edu
#dr _|_)oug|USmail:     Mgr., Adv. Comp. Res. Inst./Cornell Theory Center

bjperry@ashby.cs.ucla.edu (Brad Perry) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr4.203659.6856@milton.u.washington.edu> ao@milton.u.washington.edu (Allen Olson) writes:
>I am starting a robotics project in which I think fuzzy logic may be
>appropriate, so I was very happy to see several articles mentioned in
>email me titles of articles that could provide a good introduction to
>fuzzy logic especially as used in control systems. Also, are there any
>good books which provide an overview of the field yet?

  An article by Prof. Lofti Zadeh appeared about 2 years ago
summarizing the field of fuzzy logic.  See
  "Knowledge Representation in Fuzzy Logic", IEEE Transactions
  on Knowledge and Data Engineering, vol. 1, no. 1, March 1989.

  This article provides a good overview/introduction to fuzzy
logic and comes with a bibliography of around 100 of the key
publications in the field.

Brad Perry
bjperry@cs.ucla.edu